Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collage5

Love your washer? Please advise me.

collage5
9 years ago

Purchased a set of Maytag Bravos machines 4 months ago and it's been a nightmare ever since. A residue shows up on my dark items (it's probably on my light items too but I just can't see it) and I've had many service calls, etc., all to no avail. Bottom line is that I wrote the head of CS and copied the CEO of Whirlpool/Maytag and they have offered to refund my money or replace my machines with any from their line.

I'm thrilled that these machines will leave my home but I want to get it right this time. If you love your machines, can you tell me what you have? I generally just use the very basic cycles so, honestly, I don't need anything all that special. I do care about water usage as I'm in California and we're experiencing a serious drought. I've been told repeatedly that Samsung is very difficult to have repaired (can't get parts, etc.) so I've ruled that out. Only other restriction is that they can't be more deep than 29" deep (excluding venting). I don't expect anyone to go measure their machine -- I'm happy to do the research but I thought I'd mention it for those who may happen to know theirs are deeper.

Previous to this set of Bravos, I had Maytag Neptune and, before that, a set by GE. Both worked great.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (19)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Get another frontloader if you can find one to fit your space. The frontloader tumble-method of washing is much more suited to the low-water HE concept than is the impeller-style HE toploader method of any brand.

• oregpsnow
    9 years ago

I have an 8 year old Whirlpool Duet Sport FL set that has worked flawlessly. They are slightly smaller than the full size Duet and will fit in many laundry closets and tight spaces. Good cycles, has a heater, easy to use and my favorite thing is the washer gets the clothes really dry so they dry fast in the dryer. Whirlpool has changed the names of the machines but I think they have a current set similar to the Duet Sport if you need a slightly smaller machine. If you have lots of space consider the full-size Duet.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Check Frigidaire also. They have 29 and also 30" depth.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Speed Queen. 28 inches deep. Mine is a top loader. LOVE it.

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I seem to read so many good things about the whirlpool duet and, conversely, so many bad! I'm glad you're happy with yours, oregpsnow.

Jellytoast, my mother also has a speed queen and is pretty happy with it. Does yours have an agitator or is it and HE? (I believe those two features are mutually exclusive.).

Dadoes, yes, I think your advise about a front loader (HE) as superior to a top is great and, based on my very small sample size, has been my experience as well.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

If I remember correctly, there were quite a few issues with the smaller, Mexican made Duet Sports sold ~2006-2012 but those are now gone. The German made Duets were sold ~2002-2012 and really were quite reliable overall, I know of several that have lasted 10+ years. The current version of the Duet is American made, they are calling it ALPHA2. I hear good things about its performance, but with the design only having been sold a couple years we can't say how it holds up in the long term. It uses a direct drive motor like LG.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Want to hear about my wringer washer? Top loading. Old ones are fetching good prices. If you see one for $50, grab it.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Had my SQ top load washer for 18 months now. No troubles, just clean laundry. Love it !

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those with speed queens -- do they have an agitator or are they HE? Thanks everyone.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Topload Speed Queen washers currently are agitator machines. They are not HE.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I've had the 5.2 cu ft Kenmore Elite for almost 2 months now and Im loving it so far. The drum is huge, cuts down on how many loads I do... The express cycle is only 30 min from start to finish... The accela-wash feature is great and I can add up to 3 extra rinses for a total of 5 or 6 depending on the cycle and my favorite so thing so far... that I can change settings and even cycles mid-cycle just by pushing pause. With my old Samsung, Id have to turn it off and then back on to make changes mid cycle, then it would drain and start over. The Kenmore just starts over and doesnt drain.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Get a basic machine, top load, Speed Queen, three temps.

Simple machines always work better.

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the duet and kenmore elite suggestions; unfortunately, they're too deep. I am going to look at the larger Kenmore line to see if any will fit.

At the moment, the old fashioned speed queen is in the lead. We are pretty energy conscious and also need to be careful about water usage which is the reason I want to explore all options before going with SQ. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Have you looked at the SQ front loader? Quite expensive and no heater built in but you get energy/water efficiency with Speed Queen quality.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 16:02

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, hvtech42, but they're too deep :( (although I was slightly relieved as those are very expensive machines!)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

No point in buying a Kenmore anyway, they are just rebadged LG's. Might as well just buy an LG so you don't have to deal with crappy Sears service.

I think you are going to need to decide which is more important to you: efficiency or capacity. If efficiency, get a compact front loader. LG has an American sized model that almost fits in your space - unfortunately, it's just over 29 inches deep. I would get one of the Euro brands: Bosch, Miele, or Asko. If they don't have enough capacity for you, you need a top loader, and in this case, Speed Queen is the best way to go. There was only ever one good HE top loading design in my opinion but that isn't of any use to you since it's been discontinued for several years.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 17:06

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My SQ has an agitator. I absolutely LOVE it. It does everything I want it to do and nothing I don't. It's simple, well constructed, and solid. Nothing I saw when shopping even came close to the SQ.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

How can you say a SQ isn't HE when mine only fills 3/4 of the way at the max fill level?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Because HE would be if it fills 1/4 at max level. :-)