Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannanan

Problems with new front load washer not getting clothes clean

shannanan
9 years ago

Is it me or did I get a dud and need to send it back?

This is my first Front Loader. It is a Samsung and I was super excited when they delivered it. I have only had it for a month. I read a lot of the forums and I leave the door open after every load. The washer doesn't smell bad, but my clothes don't come out smelling clean. They aren't moldy or anything they just don't smell quite clean. I don't know if it is me or if my washer is a dud. I use Tide powder detergent (HE) with Biz (He) I do large mixed loads because I have 3 small children under the age of 5. I add vinegar to the wash, tried adding it to the rinse cycle, but it just dumps it in with the detergent. I do an extra rinse cycle and wash everything on normal cycle, hot temp, selected for heavy soil.

I am already missing my top loader.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

IT IS NOT A LACK OF PERFUME SMELL. My clean clothes used to smell like water and an absence of other smells.Then I put them in the dryer and they come out smelling like bounce since those are the dryer sheets I use. Now I am using 3 dryer sheets instead of one to try and cover up the smell left by the washer.

They smell a little musty, or something similar. Just a little "off", but there is a smell there that isn't supposed to be there.

I did try the heavy duty cycle, but it just seems to be a bit harder on the clothes without any different result. Last night I did a self-clean cycle with bleach to sanitize the washer. I smelled the washer afterwards and the washer itself has a faint unpleasant smell, a little chemical/metal. I think the problem might just be the smell of my washer. I also put some food coloring and vinegar in a cup and dumped it in the fabric softener dispenser and it is definitely dumping it in with the detergent. I thought it was supposed to be dispensed during the rinse cycle? If adding vinegar to the detergent is a problem (which it shouldn't be) adding it to the rinse cycle should solve that problem, but the washer won't let me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd UPDATE

About filling the fabric dispenser too full or closing the drawer too hard... Thank you. I did not realize that I was filling it over the MAX point. Once I was aware I noticed that pouring slightly fast and sloshing a bit over is enough to make it dispense early. So the fabric softener problem is solved, but I still have trouble getting my clothes clean. I don't want to try the water level screw adjustment because I am pretty sure this would void my warranty. Also I can't remove my top plate since my units are stacked.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd UPDATE

I am putting the soap in the correct dispenser. Yes I removed the insert for liquid detergent and I don't actually have a prewash detergent cup. I was probably adding too much detergent which contributed to the crusty feel of my clothes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONCLUSION:

So I can get my clothes clean minus funky smell and crusty feel if I....

1. Set washer to hot water, high soil, extra rinse.
2. Only fill the drum half-way.
3. Add vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser and close very, very carefully.

I will probably never buy another front loader since I vastly prefer user friendly machines and only filling the drum halfway gives it less capacity than my previous top loader. Thank you for your help and I will continue to check posts for a while if anyone has additional good advice on how to get their front loader to work properly.

This post was edited by shannanan on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 16:50

Comments (24)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It might be the vinegar.
    It is my understanding that it will neutralize the detergent.
    You never want to mix it into a wash cycle
    So try using it without any vinegar and see what happens.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I agree with Chloe on the vinegar. Also you might bump up to the Heavy Duty Cycle and see if that doesnt help. Keep us posted!

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Are the clothes really not clean or are you just missing the perfume smell from the detergent? My clothes come out with very little perfume smell & I like it that way. When I switched from an old TL to my FL 8 years ago, I was finally able to use regular tide powder for my clothes. Previously I used "free" detergents, as I can't stand perfume smells & my son would get skin rashes. Fast forward to the FL & I barely smell the detergent. I assume it is because it rinses so much better. I also use vinegar, but in the fabric softener dispenser & never had a problem.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

I agree with the point about perfume. With the exception of some natural fabric smells (but usually not cotton), clean clothes shouldn't smell at all.

I can't explain why a front loader might leave less perfume on the clothes, because that goes contrary to the belief that they don't rinse as well without using the extra rinse option. Yet I've seen complaints from others in the past that their new FL doesn't yield the perfumed scent they like.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

if you don't have enough water in your samsung you might find cleaning to be subpar. it's super easy to adjust the water level sensor at the top right of the unit just under the top plate. One turn clockwise should give you more water without being too much. don't follow the online idiots on youtube which state to turn the sensor screw 6 turns. that's going to cause poor washing because clothes won't tumble because of excessive water levels.

i wouldn't use vinegar. period. normal clothes washing should not require vinegar. that's for when you have a problem odor.

of course the FS shouldn't be going in with the detergent so if it is you need to contact samsung repair.

This post was edited by dave1812 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 11:39

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Softener should dispense in the last rinse, not the first.

Many frontloaders dispense chlorine bleach into the first rinse.

Are you perhaps placing the vinegar into the wrong dispenser cup?

Filling the softener dispenser (or bleach dispenser) too full will cause it to release (siphon out) prematurely. So will jostling the dispenser drawer or closing it with excess force.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

what daodes says in last paragraph is right on the money.

• smith02_gw
    9 years ago

shannanan

Just a suggestion, the fabric softener may be coming out with the detergent if you do not tell the machine your using fabric softener. Don't have a Samsung but on my LG, there is a button for fabric softener. It does enable an extra rinse and the fabric softener is still in the tray during the wash.

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with many, that it is possibly just the lack of scent, or "perfumes" from the detergent or softener.

You might want to try some of those little pellets, which are sold as scent booster. Since you like Bounce dryer sheets, Bounce now has Bounce Burst pellets. You just dump 1/2 to 1 cap into the wash drum, add the clothes, close the door, add your detergent and softener to the right compartments and start your machine.

NOW....speaking about the right detergent compartments!! Make sure your are using the Main soap tray/compartment for the main wash. I had a great friend complaining about clothes not looking nor smelling clean, and she was adding the detergent to the Pre-Wash tray, instead of the main wash tray. Obviously her clothes were not looking, nor smelling clean......because they were not!! LOL Check this too!! Good Luck!

• fillmoe
    9 years ago

I always use vinegar instead of fabric softener and leave the door ajar when the washer is not being used.. In the 10 or so years I've had my Whirlpool HE3t front loader, I've never had a moldy smell with either powder or liquid detergent.

• Marie Strickland
    8 years ago

She said it smells BAD did u guys hear that mine smells the same way just nor fresh at all...but I looked and my fabric softner comes out at the beginning of the wash that's not quite rite and I knew it.....I'm gonna try less fabric softner as well

• Amanda Hatch-Tadlock
    7 years ago

Ours was doing that and then I realized there is a filter at the bottom front left of the washer. It holds water and grime there and has to be dumped once a month. I do it at the same time I use affresh to santize the inside of it.

• Holly ******
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have to agree with you. I own a Samsung front loader. Purchased a few weeks ago and I hate it. It is ridiculous for many reasons, first one being the clothes don't get clean! The reason is The laundry is not submerged in water at any time it is instead splashed with water repeatedly which is absurd. My bf hacked it so more water would fill it but it still does not submerge the laundry. This is a problem. Dirty laundry in my opinion HAS TO be submerged in water to get clean! If I wanted to splash or spray my clothing with water I'd shower with them on or stand out in the rain. ( They would probably get cleaner) Reason 2 the load cycles are ridiculously long! 45 minutes for "normal" load? 90 minutes for moderately soiled and 2 hours for dirty? A top loader takes 25 minutes total and EVERYTHING GETS CLEAN. 2 HOURS. ABSURD. 3RD ISSUE: I Opted for the large capacity for large comforters etc.

You can't get a comforter clean there's not enough water all it does is sit in about 2" of water and roll back and forth. Also fabric softener gets dumped in with Tide. That is NOT HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK! This expensive machine cannot even do what a top loader does like add softener on RINSE CYCLE! NOT WITH THE LAUNDRY SOAP!!!!!!

Ridiculous. Laundry DOES NOT GET CLEAN!. If I wanted my clothes kept dry I'd dry clean them. #4 these machines are far too sensitive. Refusing to work anytime they feel the load is unbalanced or too large 8 pairs of size 0 jeans is too large a load. Codes and your washer refuses to work because it's too dirty. ( How a washing machine gets too dirty to work is beyond me that's a joke. Filer clogged...yeah right. The list goes on and on. RIDICULOUS! My machine is hacked to use more water & STILL I have to add buckets of water for every load and if it's something really dirty I have to wash it by hand first. The machine costs over $1,000 & I'm on my knees washing clothes and blankets in a bucket prior to machine washing.

My advice to anyone wanting a front loader who wants clean clothes is

DO NOT BUY A FRONT LOADER. THEY DO NOT SUBMERGE LAUNDRY! The laundry will sit in 2" of water max and the water gets splashed back and forth as if someone was turning drum from side to side to shlosh it around. Nothing not even a 2 hour cycle will submerge that pee soaked blanket. In fact, it will still smell of urine once it's supposedly clean.

DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY FRONT LOADER IF YOU WANT CLEAN LAUNDRY!!

• Holly ******
    2 years ago

Front loaders SUCK. They use way too little water. Period. Rather than submerge laundry in soapy water, it splashes water around. They don't get clean. They don't get clean. Period. It's equivalent to taking a damp sponge and wiping your clothes off. The material itself doesn't get clean doesn't get washed only the surface gets wiped off basically if even that. To me, that is NOT HOW YOU GET CLOTHING CLEAN IT MUST BE SUBMERGED IN WATER.

• Holly ******
    2 years ago

All you believers find a dog or a person to pee on your clothes or a towel or a blanket and see how it smells like pee after it's supposedly clean an hour after it washing. It's a joke. Would you buy a car that doesn't drive straight? Or a cell phone that doesn't make clear calls? How about an umbrella that doesn't keep you dry?

I don't think so.

• Mark
    2 years ago

@Holly ******

You best research the next washing machine you may soon have to replace the Samsung. Most front load washers clean better than any top loading washer fyi. You took the bait like most do, buying a Samsung to begin with. Return it if you still can. There are a lot of folks here that will help you find something better, and many threads from people looking for suggestions on what machines are best.

• Mark
    2 years ago

Clothes do get clean with less water. Some front load washers are too frugal on water, others more giving. Miele's have actual settings to increase water levels for wash and rinse levels but are compact in size. Most here like LG's, and I'm sure they will answer any questions on water levels etc. Adding more water manually to a machine will cause more harm than good to your new machine. Learning what each cycle does, using appropriate cycle for each load, and not over dosing detergent will likely get you proper results.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

@Holly ******

Tell us how you really feel!

Ignoring that this is a 5 year od thread back from the dead, Sansung is NOT a brand to form an opinion about front load washing machines.

Look into Miele and Speed Queen and you will see front loaders are some of the best washers for getting clothes clean.

If you can still retun the Samsung then do so. Spend the needed money to get a quality washing machine.

• HU-295912972
    2 years ago

No matter how you flip it, non-commercial in-home front loader washers are a waist of money.

• elbits
    2 years ago

My daughter inherited a front load washer that came with her house. I brought a comforter to wash and I watched it get barely damp. It finally broke last year and they replaced it with a top load w/agitator.

• HU-567427102
    2 years ago

Yes, these washing machines are a Total JOKE! Your clothes smell because there is not an adequate amount of water. Clothing is NOT SUBMERGED in soapy water. Instead, they are splashed with a puddle of water that supposedly cleans them. It does not. Samsung, if you think it does, then tell me which scenario of cleaning would be preferred A or B?

Scenario A) Your aging father who recently moved in your home is bedridden, incontinent & will sometimes have an accident.

Today was a different story. Today he's in your bed while his is being replaced, he not only pees in your bed but he souls himself with a large amount of loose stool (diarrhea) all over your bed. So you toss the smelly, poopy & urine stained bedding in your Samsung so your blankets can be splashed with soapy water. with this method, NONE of your bedding is submerged in water, nor is it agitated. Instead it gently flops back and forth as it is similar to being tossed around in a shallow puddle. A water limit of 13 gallons will be used and reused to get them "clean."

Scenario B) Everything above is identical but instead of using your Samsung, you use a MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE ( about $800 less ) top loader. This machine will COMPLETELY SUBMERGE your poopy soiled linens in plenty of hot soapy water while it rapidly oscillates and strongly agitates the laundry as soapy water is forced through the fibers repeatedly. Finally, as it's draining soiled water it fills with clean water then partially drains and filling is repeated until clothes are submerged in fresh clean water.

So now I ask you this: Which of the 2 above loads do you choose to put back on your bed?

Because I can assure you, if you tested both previously soiled sheets upon removing each from the washer, that the first one would test positive for fecal matter.

I am lucky enough to have purchased a latest model, regularly priced at $1400 Samsung front loader For $300 used.

I'm also lucky my bf can build/modify just about anything and hacked to water level and also installed a hose with hot or cold water right next to it so I can fill it with the amount of water necessary to clean clothes, Not just wipe them down. Because that's pretty much what they do, lightly pat off the dirt. That does not clean the fabric that is why your "clean" laundry stinks.

These machines are unacceptable in my book! If you have one of these front loaders, try this: take a laundered item and get a clear bucket, bowl, tub, sink, anything which will show the water and wash your item by hand and see what comes out of it. Water will be tan to brown. Rip-off!

• HU-567427102
    2 years ago

You guys are brainwashed btw. Nothing gets "cleaner" with less water...you believe that, you'll believe anything.

• Cadyren
    2 years ago

WTF has smelly laundry? No smelly laundry or washing machine in 15 years with my Bosch Nexxt.