Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dryer knocking

Posted by kayakluv (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 11:11

my 40-year-OLD Sears Kenmore dryer (model 110.6808612) has started knocking while it's running. I figure at some point it will just stop. It still dries the clothes. over the years it's had a belt replacement and a timer replacement. certainly doesn't owe me a thing.
I'm not ready to spend a bundle for a new one. can someone out there advise if repair would be a good deal less than buying new? thanks!
(I would be hiring it done by the local repair guy).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dryer knocking

Likely causes are the belt, belt idler, or rear support rollers. These are common wear items, available together as a kit, not expensive, and simple to replace.
Part Number 4392065, $23.14 @ AppliancePartsPros.com

If the roller shafts are worn,
Left, Part Number 239480, $9.97
Right, Part Number W10359269, $7.88

You can find videos on YouTube how to disassemble the machine for DIY. Search for Whirlpool dryer belt idler or similar terms.

Less likely, the front drum support bearings/felt ... but this typically causes a metal-on-metal squeal rather than knocking.

o

thank you very much for the information. It's unlikely I will attempt this myself. Will more harm be done if I don't get it fixed right away?

o

The belt will eventually break if it's torn/split and a piece is flopping. A bad idler can cause a broken belt if it jams completely. Bad idler rollers can wear down the roller shafts if the shafts aren't yet worn.

Although it's not likely a part of your problem, metal-on-metal squealing from worn front support felt must be corrected immediately or the edge of the drum and/or front panel will wear down. I've seen cases of the problem being ignored, and the edge of the drum tore completely through the front panel.

o

thanks! I think I'll get it fixed sooner rather than later. you've been a great help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here