Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Washer-Can't change cleaning modes w/o draining!!!

Posted by goddi (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 10:49

I can't believe what GE had done to its clothes washers. I just got a 4250 model, top load. With my prior GE washer, I had full control of everything. I have several issues with this new unit but here is my main problem:

After you have started a cycle of washing clothes, and if you want to change the washing mode (say from Cotton/Heavy to Cotton/Medium), the machine will stop and drain all the water and soap out of the drum and start over.

I was told by the salesman after I complained about this, that all I had to do was to push the Pause button, make the change, and it will not drain. Not true. It still drains and starts over. (However, on one attempt, it did not drain but continued to fill the tub...not sure what I might have done differently).

However, the GE Help line told me that the washing machine will drain the water/soap and start over again if I make a change once it has started. "That is the way it was designed". (I can't believe it....).

So, has anyone found the right combination of button-pushing to be able to change the cleaning mode once it has started its operation...without it draining everything???
Thanks... Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Washer-Can't change cleaning modes w/o draining!!!

I have a front loader, but my machine behaves in exactly the same manner. You must cancel the current cycle before starting a new one, causing the machine to drain. Why would you want to start with one cycle and then change it? Why not just set it to the proper cycle in the first place?

o

Well, maybe you just want to just change the type of cleaning cycle after it has started. The guys at GE must have been in some dark basement when they designed this feature. Just because you might want to change the cleaning mode, they decide that it is best to drain all the hot water and soap out of the drum and start over? What a bunch of nincompoops. They try to make a more efficient machine by dumping perfectly good water and soap just because you turn the dial to a different cleaning mode? I really can't grasp any logic to that.

o

Try this:

Push Pause,
Reset the water level,
Change the cycle,
Push start,
Once it starts to fill, change the water level and see if it starts washing.

MRB

o

I think the manufacturers are just doing whatever is simplest, when it comes to whether a change in cycle forces the machine to drain. With the old mechanical timers, it would've been very complicated to force the machine to drain when you moved the timer between cycles. With the modern electronic machines, it's far simpler to "start over" when the cycle is changed, rather than trying to figure out whether the existing fill is usable for the new cycle. Simpler is better, IMO. Less chance of bugs that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here