Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddi_gw

GE Washer-Can't change cleaning modes w/o draining!!!

goddi
12 years ago

I can't believe what GE had done to its clothes washers. I just got a 4250 model, top load. With my prior GE washer, I had full control of everything. I have several issues with this new unit but here is my main problem:

After you have started a cycle of washing clothes, and if you want to change the washing mode (say from Cotton/Heavy to Cotton/Medium), the machine will stop and drain all the water and soap out of the drum and start over.

I was told by the salesman after I complained about this, that all I had to do was to push the Pause button, make the change, and it will not drain. Not true. It still drains and starts over. (However, on one attempt, it did not drain but continued to fill the tub...not sure what I might have done differently).

However, the GE Help line told me that the washing machine will drain the water/soap and start over again if I make a change once it has started. "That is the way it was designed". (I can't believe it....).

So, has anyone found the right combination of button-pushing to be able to change the cleaning mode once it has started its operation...without it draining everything???

Thanks... Gary

Comments (27)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

I have a front loader, but my machine behaves in exactly the same manner. You must cancel the current cycle before starting a new one, causing the machine to drain. Why would you want to start with one cycle and then change it? Why not just set it to the proper cycle in the first place?

• goddi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, maybe you just want to just change the type of cleaning cycle after it has started. The guys at GE must have been in some dark basement when they designed this feature. Just because you might want to change the cleaning mode, they decide that it is best to drain all the hot water and soap out of the drum and start over? What a bunch of nincompoops. They try to make a more efficient machine by dumping perfectly good water and soap just because you turn the dial to a different cleaning mode? I really can't grasp any logic to that.

• mrb627
    12 years ago

Try this:

Push Pause,
    Reset the water level,
    Change the cycle,
    Push start,
    Once it starts to fill, change the water level and see if it starts washing.

MRB

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

I think the manufacturers are just doing whatever is simplest, when it comes to whether a change in cycle forces the machine to drain. With the old mechanical timers, it would've been very complicated to force the machine to drain when you moved the timer between cycles. With the modern electronic machines, it's far simpler to "start over" when the cycle is changed, rather than trying to figure out whether the existing fill is usable for the new cycle. Simpler is better, IMO. Less chance of bugs that way.

• PRO
    Wisdom Properties LLC
    6 years ago

I agree it's simply dumb engineering. I Would not expect the maker of jet engines to make such a stupid mistake. And yes, there are plenty of times I would change a cycle after the tub is filling. That was the first thing I discovered after using the new machine just a couple times. For example I'm washing jeans on regular cycle, tub is filling as I collect clothes from the hamper, I find one colored item requiring delicate, so I decide to change the whole load to delicate cycle, but NO CAN DO. It's a waste of water and soap, and it's just plain stupid. I'm with Gary above....

• MiMi
    6 years ago

My Samsung was the same way, could not change cycles but my new LG lets me.. yippie

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Fisher & Paykel's WashSmart agitator-toploader allows changing the cycle without draining. I'm not sure if their two AquaSmart HE-impeller models allow it but presumably so.

• fauguy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

On my 2006 GE Profile top load washer, it does allow changing of wash modes without draining. So say I select Heavy, it fills and starts to wash, then I realize I should have it on Pulsed. I just have to press Stop (not Pause), then Pulse and Start, and it uses that mode without draining.

I'm not sure why they would of got rid of this.

5 years ago

This is the last G E I will buy. Good to hear that MiMi's LG design works.

• twebbz
    5 years ago

Yep, I have the compact GE FL. When you hit the pause button it drains. I used to pause my old Maytag during a wash to do a soak but I can't with the GE.

• HU-358402505
    5 years ago

I wanted to add more softener to my rinse cycle. The softener dispenser is not large enough to add sufficient softener for a nice smell and no cling to my clothes. But I cant add more softener to the rinse cycle since it starts all over from the beginning and loses the water cycle when "Pause" means pause...not start over!

• dadoes
    5 years ago

HU-358402505,The Pause/Start button on majority of washers typically functions two ways after a cycle is started .... press it once for Pause. Open the lid or door, do what's needed, then press the button again to continue the cycle from the point of interruption. Leaving it paused for too long in some cases will trigger a drain and cancel for safety reasons.

Press it twice (or press and hold for a few seconds depending on how it's designed) to Cancel. Pressing it again in that case will start a new cycle.

You didn't state what brand/model is your machine so I can't check the specific details for it.

• Tracy Ritter
    4 years ago

This washer is so frustrating! I previously had a fancy HE front loader but when we moved and needed a new one, I opted for a more simple top loader that I felt would rinse my clothes better. So often when washing clothes, I’ve tried to add one more thing, like a muddy pair of kids shorts to the load and tried to switch the setting from normal soil to heavy soil but no....all the water and soap drains out. I was hoping to find a hack online but nothing works! Not happy with this washer at all.

4 years ago

i have the same problem and it is so frustrating. Wish someone could come up with a solution.

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

My GE washer, GTW845CSNWS, is a lot newer and doesn't do this. I would HATE that!

• HU-136563559
    3 years ago

*Note: Cold water rinse only . . . on all new washing machines.

• step tim
    3 years ago

I'm surprised that MJ McPherson's non answer is the top answer. Gary didn't ask if anyone is so structured in their laundry regiment that they never make a mistake or have the need to change cycles once they have started a wash load. I have the same problem with the HydroWave washer where I have paused it to soak for a period of time or switched cycles and lost 15 gallons of water and all that soap when it automatically drained and reset. Very frustrating when it is supposedly a smart and efficient washer. I was hoping someone would have a helpful answer and not a lecture.

• Jon C
    3 years ago

Just moved into my new house, it had a GE HydroWave. Will be the first appliance to go. I had a Samsung front load before. This ge product is nowhere as good.

• HU-776443066
    3 years ago

Turn your knob around to Spin and Drain then press start button as soon as you hear washer kick on turn the knob to whatever cycle u want and hit the start button

• monicakm_gw
    3 years ago

I have a warm water rinse on my less than one year old GE washer.

• Benjamin W. Goulart
    2 years ago

Yes, it's pretty stupid.

• MaryJean Halpin
    2 years ago

Right about snarky answer. Did a hand wash for first time ever last time and did not remember that. I moved. Left AWESOME Frigidaire frontloaders at my home. Now have GE MODELGTWN425D1WS. Tried all suggestions listed on here and nothing worked... So frustrating!!!

• jpagoni
    last year

After the umpteenth time of losing a full washer of water, I turned to to the internet to see if there was a fix, sadly it looks like there isn't. My next washer will not do this!! There are lots of good reasons, which some were articulated here, to want to change the first setting chosen. In this world, simple is not always best!

• dadoes
    last year

The only way to be sure that "my next washer will not do this" is via test-running it before purchase or find someone who has experience and can confirm the behavior with the exact same model (down to the engineering revision) with the same control board revision that's on the matching model you intend to purchase.

• anne kitko
    11 months ago

Sooooo annoying!!! When saving water is a 'sacrament' and bills are thru the roof manufacturers just don't consider logic any more. The saddest thing is, with all modern appliances, the 'guts' are pretty much the same made in China c--p! Beauty's only skin deep. I can't believe this post is from 11 yrs ago!!!? and GE still has the same issue.... omg

• wdccruise
    11 months ago

@anne kitko: "The saddest thing is, with all modern appliances, the 'guts' are pretty much the same made in China c--p!"

Nonsense. Whirlpool manufacturers washers in Ohio. GE manufactures a few washers in the US. LG manufactures washers in Tennessee. Miele manufactures washers in Germany. Beko: Turkey. And no, the "guts" are not "pretty much the same".