Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need new electric dryer

Posted by risotto (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 10:39

We are currently renting out our house while we live abroad. We just found out the dryer has died. It is a Maytag Neptune electric dryer that is about 8 years old. It's too old to pay someone to fix, though my fix it husband would try if we were home. Alas, we are not so we must replace it.

The washing machine we have is a Miele 4840 (I am so sad to have it with renters. I hope they are treating it well). Because the house is being rented, we don't want to pay the premium for Miele. What kind of dryer should we get? We will be moving back to our house before this dryer dies, so we want to have one we'll be happy with.

I appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need new electric dryer

Whirlpool WED4900XW.

It is the current iteration of a basic Whirlpool model that has been in production since the mind of man runneth not to the contrary. Parts are readily available. but the dryer has been so thoroughly debugged over its production cycle, it is unlikely that you ever will need anything except, perhaps, a drive belt (wear item).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears listing of Whirlpool WED4900XW

o

Thanks for the response. I spent some time looking at dryer reviews here, and I will now consider two dryers:

1. The Whirlpool above
2. Speed Queen ADE3LR

I hadn't considered Whirlpool previously, but this does look like it gets generally positive reviews. Thanks

o

8 years is not too old to justify repair, depending on what is the problem. Dryers are mechanically-simple machines.

A friend gave to me a 35-years-old Kenmore dryer (along with a 10-years-old washer) that they were going to toss out. The dryer was drying slow, they figured the heating element was going bad. The washer was making a unhealthy noise and not agitating or spinning, a heavy rug had been run through it, they figured the "bearings were damaged."

The dryer was simply clogged with lint accumulation because the handle had broken off the filter and it wasn't pushed fully down the chute, allowing airflow (and lint) to bypass the screen. I cleaned it up, replaced the broken filter and a slightly worn rear drum seal, sold it for $80.

The washer had a broken motor coupler, $15 part. I fixed it, did some additional clean-up/refurb on it, and my parents took it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here