Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiceme

Fisher Paykel Washsmart TL ?

janiceme
9 years ago

Does anyone have any information/experience about the FP Washsmart? I have seen a few positive reviews about this particular model on some sites. CR has it rated in the middle but not recommended, although they give it high marks for gentleness and other high marks. (I still don't get CR)

I spoke with a salesperson at a good appliance store here. He wasn't pushing anything one way or another. He said FP doesn't put a lot of money into advertising and he doesn't have enough product out there to make a strong opinion. He has sold several units to a dry cleaners who have not complained or had problems.

I am space limited in my condo laundry closet and some of the FP features are appealing. My retired husband and I are not heavy washer users. I have moved a lot and am comfortable with many types of washers, including having owned several FLs in various. homes. I am OK with a learning curve for a new machine, I am more concerned about reliability and function. Thanks for you input.

Comments (3)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

The new WashSmart model is pretty much the same as the previous EcoSmart units but larger capacity (rated 22 lbs).ÃÂ Slightly faster spin speed (1,100 RPM, up from 1,010).ÃÂ Updated control panel layout.

They are quite flexible with cycle options, particularly for users who take the time to read the instruction manual and understand all the functions.

Regard to reliability, common trouble spots are the drain pump, water inlet valves, and recirculation diverter valve.ÃÂ Diverters get clogged more often than fail.ÃÂ User habits have some bearing ... check pockets for stay objects and debris, and avoid washing items such as ragged, stringy towels or throw rugs that shed or with a rubber backing.

Any specific questions, I can advise what I know based on previous models.

• janiceme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dadoes. I am going to look at the FP later this week. In terms of the inlet valves, is hard water a problem? Our condo association softens the hot water, but not the cold. Our water is very hard approaching 20 grains. Would the FP be more vulnerable to this than other machines?

I know Speed Queen has a religious following, but I have some scepticism there. The LG HE TL gets good reviews and one of my neighbors is very happy with hers. It would be one option for my closet. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Hard water isn't any more (or less) of an issue than with any other machine. I've run across one case of a problem that developed from mineral deposits accumulated on the fill flume, which is a nozzle with multiple spray holes. One or two of the spray streams were partially obstructed and misdirected away from the tub which caused leaking onto the floor under the higher spray pressure of a warm fill. The spray nozzle is easily accessible under the top-center of the loading port, simple matter to be proactive by wiping it occasionally with a cloth or sponge saturated with vinegar ... if/when needed.

I have never used the impeller-style HE toploaders. As with all machines, user reports range from joy to hate.ÃÂ There were problems with some models from LG and Samsung self-destructing during high-speed spin but the manufacturers have made some design changes to deal with that far as I understand. In many cases the trouble was at least partially caused by people running large bulky or waterproof/resistant items such as comforters and mattress pads on the wrong cycle (Regular/Normal instead of the designated Bulky Items cycle which runs a slower spin).