Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speed Queen FL vs Maytag Bravo vs Electrolux

Posted by khrios (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 9:31

My head is spinning from all the information...It didn't take me this long to choose a car to buy.

There are three washers which seem appealing...

1. Speed Queen Front Loader - love the reliability, durability,concerned about the capacity.

2. Maytag Bravo - People seem to love them. Capacity is right. Really concerned about the durability and reliability.

3. Electrolux - The capacity seems right. Don't know much about reliability. I was really impressed by how well it cleaned. Saw the pictures someone posted on a forum.

So, if you have experience with these three, please chime in.

Thanks, Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speed Queen FL vs Maytag Bravo vs Electrolux

Speed Queen is America's Miele but like you said capacity is lower then most of the newer machines.

You couldn't give me ANY type of top loader with impeller type wash system...have you seen them on Youtube...nothing moves. How is a huge comforter going to get washed?

If I had to buy a machine today it would still be an Electrolux front loader.
Why...because reversible doors on BOTH washer and dryer.
Huge capacity 5.1 cu. ft. washers and 8.0 cu. ft. dryers.
From the Energy Star web site, Electrolux isn't extremely skimpy with water. Some washers use even less water. To me a front loader is already energy efficient, some manufactures are going over board touting they use even less resources
Wash times are more reasonable. All front loaders do take longer to do a wash though, except laundromat washers...they are done in 30 minutes (because they use more water, dirt is lifted out faster).

That's my two cents.

Keep us informed on what you get.

o

Of the Electrolux models, do you have a preference? I was leaning towards the IQ steam.

o

The IQ vs. the WaveTouch, not much of a difference.

Max Spin Speed IQ 1200 RPM, WaveTouch 1400 RPM.

Max Capacity IQ 4.7 cu.ft, WaveTouch 5.1 cu.ft.

# Wash Cycles IQ 11, WaveTouch 65 (don't let that number fool you, the WaveTouch just offers more options per cycle boosting cycle count).

Individual Custom Options IQ = 1 & Favorties = 1
Individual Custom Options WaveTouch = 3 & Favorites = 3

Spin Speed Selections IQ 5, WaveTouch 6.
Soil Level Selections IQ 5, WaveTouch 6.

Delay Start Hours IQ 14, WaveTouch 22

Personally I like the WaveTouch better only because I like the display with all the options built into it. Where the IQ has all the buttons laid out in front of the machine.

But basically they are the same machine with slight differences so which ever you like/want will be fine.

o

How much life should I expect out of an Electrolux washing machine?

o

Oooooh. That's a tough call, depending on many variables.

Life expectancy for front loaders is around 11 years with "normal" use. Give or take with your individual use and care.

o

Okay...I'm done. I chose the Electrolux IQ Steam over the Speed Queen FL. The reason was the size, plain and simple.

The Speed Queen seemed very well built and a solid, no frills machine.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

I will post a review once I have had it for a few months.

o

Best of luck...and look forward to the review.

o

Check out this site:

http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products-washer.html

o

I did a lot of research on Speed Queen before I bought Maytag Bravos, including reading reviews SQ owners had posted at various websites. Lsck of capacity was not the only reason I felt SQ would not meet my needs. Lack of spin speed was another, and at least one reviewer complained about plastic parts. IMO, SQ is also over-priced.

A previous poster is very mistaken in his/her comment about HE toploaders, particularly concerning Maytag Bravos. Laundry DOES move while it washes, and our comforters (including a king-size comforter) come out very clean and fresh after being washed. If one hasn't actually owned and used an HE toploader, s/he can't give an experienced review.

Also -- all HE toploaders are not equal, another thing non-owners may not realize. Friends and relatives who have Oasis, Cabrio, and GE's HE toploader have reported problems I have not had with my Bravos washer.

HTH

o

But in fairness Mara, others with Bravos *have* reported problems while others with Cabrio/Oasis/Harmony/F&P have *not*. One person can't crown or condemn an entire line. Be fair. And we can all go to websites that glorify one and throw spears at another brand. There's a lot of variables and biases involved quite often. It's not quite as open and shut as you often make it appear. I think that with your research and "some guy telling you something" that you're convinced that the Bravos is made by Keebler Elves while Oasis/Cabrio are made by Shreck & Donkey, which doesn't match the email I received from Whirlpool regarding the differences between the machines.

One think of which I'm sure, shopping for laundry units these days should start with picking up a supply of aspirin, ibuprofen or the like! :)

o

LOL, cynic! Believe it or not, I know Bravos washers are not made by Keebler Elves. ;)

This is what I said:

All HE toploaders are not equal, another thing non-owners may not realize. Friends and relatives who have Oasis, Cabrio, and GE's HE toploader have reported problems I have not had with my Bravos washer.

It is also true that some (very few, in my experience) people have reported problems with Bravos washers that I have not experienced.

My intention was not to "crown or condemn" any line of washers (though I have read a number of posts here which condemn HE TL's en masse), but to point out the fact that not all HE toploaders are equal -- just as all FL's are not equal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here