Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Holes in Clothing -part II

celticmoon
16 years ago

This discussion has been going on for over a year. The problem is tiny holes in the front of (ususally) cotton T shirts. Often but not always in a group at the lower front of the shirt.

Hypotheses as to the culprit include certain detergents, FL washers, granite counters, seatbelts, carpet beetles, belly button bugs and some manufacturing process/event that weakens fibres in that area. No clear answers yet but many investigations and experiments underway.

(Waving hands) Discuss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holes in clothing: Help! part I

Comments (151)

• couponqueen
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been having this problem for at least ten years. The holes are always front and center near the waistline. Over that time, I have used two different sets of laundry machines and lived in two different states. It happens with my husband's t-shirts as well as mine. It has happened with tile, formica, and granite countertops in the house. I never use bleach.

I personally believe the belt buckle/jeans button and seatbelt theories, but have yet to solve the mystery.

• da2265
    12 years ago

I extensively read the first 150 messages regarding this. I also tend to lean towards the abrasion from the seat belt theory. It is a common denominator for all of us, as a source of friction in the same place as the darned holes. I also checked my pajama tops (all cotton and all heavily laundered in the same equipment & detergent as my other clothes) and guess what??? No holes, there. Only those clothes that I wear in the car tend to become holy. :) How are your pajama tops faring? Forgive me if this has been covered already in the extensive communications....

• kkjones316
    12 years ago

I have this problem (AND A SOLUTION-read on)with holes in my wool, cashmere, and 100% cotton t-shirts as well is in some blended shirts. Holes range from at the bellybutton to anywhere on the garmet, and have a shaved like appearance or look like a small round hole. After 4 weeks of going back and forth with Terminix trying to identify what we are up against, I took matters into my own hands and started exploring. I have a large closet and a lot of clothes and it gets cleaned weekly, vaccumed. I found two larvae munching away on a beautiful Tory Burch cashmere sweater! I peeled those suckers off, threw them in a ziploc bag and sent them off to be evaluated by Terminix. They are CARPET BEETLES.

If you think you have this problem with holes, call an exterminator before they get out of control. The adults lay a lot of eggs that you can visibly see on clothing. I had Terminix come today, he used a special vacuum for the cracks and crevices and sprayed. I also took all items out of my closet and sent to the dry cleaners (the cost is...ahem...yes, very pricey!) so I could be 110% certain I am doing everything to fight these damn beetles. We even had Terminix install TAP insulation treated with boric acid in our entire attic to insulate the house and fight bugs at the same time. Hopefully, this will work. Waiting a few days to put items back in the closet. SIGH. I generally don't mind bugs but dudes...don't mess with my clothes! Wish me luck!

• pajamagirl
    12 years ago

I know the answer when it comes to my shirts, but, perhaps, others on this forum have a different reason for the holes in their shirts.

In my case the problem began when we moved into the new home we built in 2006. I had never had little holes in my cotton t-shirts. I had read about the problem on this forum a few months earlier, before moving, and suddenly I was faced with the same problem. The holes are made by my granite counter top. We had formica in the old house. Our granite was chosen for its vivid colors and swirling pattern. In areas, the stone is a bit porous. If I run a knit rag along the edge, I can feel an occasional "tug" where the stone is less solid. This problem may not occur if you have a very dense, consistent type of granite. In my case, I have begun to wear only old holey shirts in the kitchen (and I have quite a few of them now) or I put on an apron. I never get holes in my apron, only in cotton knit shirts. I can also avoid holes if I put a dish towel across the counter's edge as I wash dishes. Washing dishes is the most common activity to cause them, although food prep can do it too---depends upon how close my belly gets to the counter's edge. If I come home from work and forget to change and go right to preparing dinner, I consider myself lucky if I don't have a hole in my shirt. If I hold it up to the light, I usually find one and each careless wearing in the kitchen gives me another and another.

Now, you must understand that this is the cause for tiny holes across the abdomen at counter-height. Those of you with holes all over your clothing, MAY have bugs or other problems. I am just addressing the cotton knit tummy holes.

• daisybritt
    12 years ago

I believe the granite counter top causes it from leaning against it when doing dishes.
    Never had it before getting the granite.

• Crazymommy
    12 years ago

I don't know that this will help anyone here because my issues sound MUCH bigger than yours, but just in case it helps....

I have a Whirlpool Duet Frontloader. Previously I had a cheapo, low end Frigidaire front loader and never had an issue. I've discovered that my problem is that dh will overload the washer. Previously you could not do this with the Frigidaire because the door wouldn't close and it would leak. I have had tons of clothes come out of the washer ripped to shreds. Brand new things!!! I've encouraged him to be a little less enthusiastic about loading and things have worked out much better. I think my Duet is poorly designed and I sure wish I could send them the bill for all of the clothes and towels that have been ruined. My theory is that clothes get down in between the metal tub and the gasket or between the door and the gasket. I had my Frigidaire FL for almost 10 years and NEVER had a piece of clothing come out with holds or shredded to bits!

• Crazymommy
    12 years ago

Just wanted to add....
    The clothes he was loading ran just fine. No leaking. Clothes were moving around in the load. I just think it is too full for the Duet not actually overloaded. Which means I have to just tell him, "Put a little less in" rather than an actual usable guideline that he was used to with the Frigidaire.

• crewmommi
    10 years ago

I have meile. It started when we had electrolux front loaders. I had a kennmore elite frontloader 4t and had no problems. kennmore used tide liquid and sears powder. The electrolux. I used persil, sears, etc.
    I have bought lilly pulitzer tees. Some had a hole right away and others took a while. gap, old navy, talbots, lands end, llbean. janie and jack and tommy bahama and lily pulitzer took the longest to get the holes. My shirts are the worst. My hubby's get them after a year. janie and jack out of all their clothes only one or two. All the rest are no holes. I have tried downy watered down vinegar makes things worse. I have tried sauvtel watered down. I have quartz countertops. I had granite when it started. seatbelts winter t shirts also have holes. I never take my coat off in the car in the winter. Never! We have hadseatbelt wise all different cars brands an expedition, Honda minivan, Volvo car, volvo suv (xc90 loved it by the way) and a subaru tribeca. I put ortho around my home and D.E. powder around all my surbases. I do get stinks bugs maybe that is the issue. I use rubbermaid wash baskets. No hamper. I do put clothes on the floor of bedroom at night. We live in pa suburbs for geographic info.
    I use natural cleaners. like ecover and method and vinegar and baking soda. I no longer use borax and washing soda made all our socks fall apart clean but didn't last. My hubby's under cotton boxers and kids last longer than my cotton vs undies. They get holes quick. I am trying to post all the variables. Does anyone else have stink bugs sometimes? I only found maybe ten tops in my home. Never in my laundry room. No moths, no silverfish, etc. All carpets are new and vaccumed daily. Clothes are folded on sealed maple table. No rough spots. My husbands and my clothes are hung and folded. little guy who has only two holes in three years go in his burea none hung. I think its either hard water and detergent. cheaply made cotton now. I don't really think it bugs cause we have organic sheets than have only been washed in persil and they became very thin and ripped on our kids beds and ours. I am not going to use henkel detergents. I may buy lingerie bags for all the t shirts to see if it stops. I spent 4000. on new washer and dryer meile to stop this from happening and it still happens. My husband and I have noticed the t shirts are thinner. We stopped buying old navy a few years ago cause of it. Old navy socks after a few washed the elastic is bad. I wear mostly jeans. Sometimes I wear yoga pants they have no buttons. My husbands holes are by a shirt pocket in the back or top or bottom. My lilly jeans ripped after I went back to persil with in two months like they were dry rotted. I think the detergents are breaking down the clothes and they are made cheaper. I am seeeking a detergent that will not break down the clothes no optical brightner. no washing soad borax oci clean etc. I was making my own soap with fels napa and borax and washing soda. I didn't use it long so I can't say if that is better. I have never found stink bugs in my closet just at windows sills. I separate all the jeans and undoes and t shirts into different loads towels also. We use all natural soaps like california baby and cleary natural body soaps. So I don't think its chemicals from body washes. Any other ideas? Is it hard water? Is it detergent? Is it manufacturing? Lower on the list countertops, seat belts, bugs.It happens in summer and winter so coat or no coat zippers. We have five kids and this is getting crazy expensive. I don;t want my family walking aorund with holes. My son came home from school and said everyone t shirts are like that. I said great!!

• Distinctivewash
    10 years ago

Never ever come across this before... but yes please do try a washing powder thats designed like ours and optical brightener free - if you lived nearer I'd let you try a pack but the postage to America is very pricey. What are Stink Bugs? I've not heard of them in the UK?
    Presume you've tried hanging moth prevention things in wardrobes etc. How very strange, I doubt its the washing powder or machine at all. Has any one tried putting these questions to any of the bigger laundry manufacturers I am sure they will have seen it all. We have never experienced this I'm afraid. I'll go off to google what eats cotton?

• Distinctivewash
    10 years ago

Found this http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bugs-that-eat-clothes.html - sounds like your problem!

Thanks for teaching me something :)

• mrypg9
    10 years ago

Well, I live in Spain and since moving here I've had the problem of little holes in cotton Tshirts, always in the same place, around the waist. I don't have rough edges to my kitchen worktops, my house floors are all marble and it's not the seatbelts in my car as my partner doesn't have this problem and we share driving.

I'm at my wits end over this as I'm afraid to buy new stuff.
    So: it's not counter edges, belt buckles, carpets or detergents.
    What the **** can it be????

• cynandjon
    10 years ago

Hubby and I both have experienced this. Both of us have shirts that have holes behind the neck and around the belly button and below. Hubby rarely is at the counter.
    When did clothing become so delicate and fragile that they cant hold up to simple household chores? I don't know the answer as to what is causing it, but I sure would love to know!

• Sam73
    10 years ago
  • arcticfox_001
    10 years ago

Why is everyone so convinced that it could not possibly be the fault of the manufacturer? Abrasion does not create small holes in clothes, it causes wear and thinning. And if the clothes haven't even been washed yet, how could they conceivably be affected by wear? I have had this problem many times recently with clothes from various manufacturers. One of my daughter's dresses had a series of HUGE holes all through one tier of a multi-tiered dress. I would suggest that the problem is moth damage to the fabric prior to being sewn at the factory. The reason why it would occur on specific parts of the clothes is that the pieces are laid out and cut in a row in exactly the same way. If one area of the fabric that was exposed for longest at the factory happened to be the part that was used for this area of the clothing, this is the pattern one would see. Sometimes the holes probably don't show until the clothes have been washed a worn a few times - when the weakened fabric finally tears. Don't let it come out of your own pocketbook! We all need to return these clothes to the store where we bought them immediately and demand a refund. This is the fault of the producers (not belly button bugs - come on, people!) and they need to be accountable. Now that I see how common this problem is, I am that much more determined not to put up with it.

• arcticfox_001
    10 years ago

One more thing - many people have posted on the web that they have found the culprit to be kitchen counter tops or some other abrasive surface that they are leaning against. I find this hard to believe. I've been cooking for years that this only began happening in the past 5 or so. All my older shirts are fine. If these holes are from factory moth damage, it is likely that they are showing up more in areas of high abrasion. The weakened fabric tears more easily in those places because it endures extra wear. This is the manufacturer's problem folks. It makes me angry that we are so willing find any way to blame ourselves even when it doesn't make sense. I wish we could identify the country or origin that this is most commonly a problem with. Or perhaps the country that the fabric was manufactured in (an almost impossible task).

• lbliss79
    10 years ago

I am wondering if anybody can help me. We recently moved to a rural part of north/east Florida and have a well. The water is terrible here. It has high levels of iron and manganese. We also found thru formal testing that chloramines were present. Now, I'm not sure if they are naturally occuring or if someone shocked the well with a strong chlorine mixture. There is no chlorine odor in our water (but it smells like iron).

The water, for some reason, is eating holes in my son's cloth diapers. It is mostly the cotton prefolds. For some reason, the microfiber inserts are fine. There is also a lot of blackish staining on our light colored clothes, towells and the diapers as well. Dark clothes seem to be fine, although my husband did a load of laundry last week and several garmets came out with what looked like bleach spots. We don't use bleach anymore because it oxidizes the iron in the water. And I never used to use much bleach when we lived in town. Never more than 1/4 cup diluted in 1 cup of water in our top loader HE for linnens and once or twice a month on the diapers. My hubby thought I was crazy at first. I am also starting to see some holes in my hubby's Tshirts and some towells.

• Mopnc
    9 years ago

I have this problem in almost every top I wear. I think it is from the tops/shirt rubbing on jeans or pants with front zipper. The top of waistband right above the button hole area is a corner of fabric that is stiff, sometimes curls forward. Also it is an area where one frequently sprays stain treatments. It happens mostly on knits, they are stretchy therefore maintain snugness against that pointy area. Now what is a solution?

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't think it has anything to do with laundry, maybe another article of clothing that is rough. I would think about something around the home or your job that you lean against that is making the holes.

I make sure my zippers are closed and my bras snapped. I have nothing with Velcro on them. Maybe it is those cloths that have the little hooks all over them.. Sorry I have forgotten what you call them. LOL

• omega73
    9 years ago

It has to be the washing machine, I just discovered this thread after posting about just purchasing a TL Speed Queen washer. I have read elsewhere that the speed of the spin cycles and pushes thin materials into the holes of the drums and this causes the tears. One must definitely rule out countertops as last I checked our 4 month old cant do dishes yet and a lot of her clothes have gotten holes in them only after washing them. I guess we'll find out if our old FL was the culprit as we just purchased a TL machine.

• floraliferous
    9 years ago

I think it is a combo of fine spray of bleach or related cleaner, or battery acid is a possibility. While changing or checking oil in the car some fine particles of the corrosive powder sometimes on the battery terminals can inadvertently get on a mechanics or your clothing, be transferred to a seatbelt Bd go invisibly unnoticed until it eats away tiny holes.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have some friends that were having this issue. They thought it was their laundry detergent, so switched. Then thought it was their washer or drier, but have since bought new. Now they believe is is the ogee edge on their granite. They noticed the upper square portion wasn't as polished as another friend's counter and believe that to be the cause. They are going to see if they can get someone to come polish it better. I'll post the outcome here :)

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I have had the holes in shirts problem for years. I think my problem is part of two habits I have. I pull my shirts to stretch them out a bit because I don't like them to be too tight in the waist area and I lean on the counter when I do my makeup and dishes. I have worked to change my habits and always place a hand towel on the counter when I do my makeup to lean on it to get closer to the mirror and I try not to stretch at my shirts. I have noticed a considerable difference since changing my behavior. Just seems to work for me.

• optiwench
    9 years ago

Used to happen to me also. It stopped when I stopped washing anything with zippers in the same wash load. Don't understand why it was always at the waistline though. But it hasn't happened since I made the change years ago!

• aulani
    9 years ago

I've been reading all these posts and some of them are quite entertaining. Yeah, I know, I could be out in the garden, but it's raining okay? But that rain is another topic I plan to discuss because we've been getting a lot of it and my tomato leaves are curling. Back to the holes in shirts. I get those holes too, right at where I lean against the sink to wash dishes, etc. I use bleach water to wipe down all the formica counters after all is cleaned up. I honestly think that's it. So now, I have about six T-shirts that I use around the house and garden. I wear no other shirts so I no longer have the problem. I love the belly button bugs the best.

• omega73
    9 years ago

It's not from granite counter tops or any other counters, my daughter is 5 months old and last I checked she didn't do dishes yet managed to get holes in a bunch of her pajamas.

It's those damn FL machines with their horrible interior design and their high RPM speeds.

• mkirkwag
    9 years ago

Not the solution, but I wanted to clear something up - apologies if someone has done so already. It's not moths who eat your clothing - it's their larvae. They may never make it to "mothhood," so you won't see them. It only takes one small moth slipping into the house - you may never notice it. They don't live that long. Cedar blocks in the closets and drawers help, but you need sand them occasionally. Doesn't answer the "why only in one spot" question, unless you fold in a specific way - if they're stacked so that's the most accessible area.

• deedel00
    9 years ago

I've seen this same post here a few times now, and the thread is long.
    I'm wondering if anyone has figured out that it is from the top corner of your jeans or chinos where they button....It's constant friction. When you button your jeans look at how the top the corner pops out. Its rough material on thin material. The thinner the shirt the bigger the hole gets. Always the same place ? Small tiny holes?

• sirienne
    9 years ago

I remember getting these holes and (in my case at least) it HAD to be related to the washing machine because that was the only factor that really changed. The holes were always in the same spot (belly button area), never anywhere else.

I got them on nearly every every shirt I owned while I was living in a certain apartment, where I had to go to the laundromat. The machines I used there were commercial front-loaders. Every other washing machine I've ever used, before and after, has been the traditional top loader with an agitator. That's really the only difference between then and now that I could see contributing... I've been buying the same brand/quality level of clothes, I and all my countertops have been the same height and material (laminate), I've driven the same amount, I store things the same way, and I've never seen any evidence of any kind of bug/moth problem anywhere I've lived, unless you're counting those little holes.

My theory: the clothes constantly rubbing over where your pants button is weakens the fabric in that area, and then the holes in the drum of the washer tear the weakened fabric.

• impressoftex
    9 years ago

Silverfish can be the problem. They love to eat paper, fabric, etc. Very hard to detect and harder to get rid of.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

My friend had holes in all her T shirts at the waist.

Turns out, when she opened a bottle of beer, she would cover the bottle top with her shirt for a better grip.

That was why she had the holes.

• katsuecunn
    9 years ago

I had granite countertops installed last year. This year when I installed new tops in my bathroom, I asked the granite man about the holes and he sanded
    the edges around the kitchen and made them smoother. It has solved the holes in my tops problem.

• MrCeribdis
    9 years ago

Abdominal sweat could play a factor as well as counter tops, set belts and saltwater-water softener all add salt or friction causing the fabric to weeken
    And bugs yes bugs, sweat has oils and can break down plastic type clothing as well as finely woven cotton and bleach, color safe bleach weak in the fabric as well

Hope this helps !!!, (-.-) (HI-5)

• manda99
    9 years ago

I figured out that mine was from the zippers on my jackets grabbing my shirts as I zip up.

• wekick
    9 years ago

I noticed these holes a couple of years ago mostly in a certain brand of t shirt I have worn for many years. I think it is due to cheaper fabric with less quality control on thread used to make the fabric. Laundry chemicals cause the weak spots to be revealed and any wear and tear on the fabric also build on that. That would commonly happen any place that gets stretched or abraded from seat belts. counter tops etc. I am sure there are instances of bugs that account for some holes as well. My sister also has this problem with the same brand of t shirt.

• Schanna
    9 years ago

I'm so glad I found this forum! I, too, thought I was the only one experiencing this problem!

Three years ago, we purchased a new, Maytag Bravo top-loading HE washer. This is the first HE washer I have ever owned. Since then, I have been finding clusters of pin-head-size holes in the center of my shirts at waist level. There are always three to four, tiny holes. At first, I blamed the clothing for being made cheaply and not holding up as long. However, I recently bought several new shirts that have only been worn/washed a couple of times, and they already have these holes!

My husband and I believe that this is being caused by the HE detergents. The oxidizing/cleaning agents that manufacturers now use in order to get clothes clean with as little water and detergent as possible, is ruining the fabrics. I also believe the clothes are actually not getting cleaned as well. The clothes don't even smell clean! I have to use lots of scented fabric softener and dryer sheets just to feel like they are clean!

I have been doing laundry for 40 years and never had this problem until I bought an HE washing machine. My clothes (even cheaper ones) have always lasted years and years. Now I wear them twice and they have holes! This can't be a coincidence!

I intend to contact Maytag and see what they tell me. I think this is a valid issue to be investigated further. If necessary, I will contact my state's attorney general and file a consumer complaint.

In the meantime, I'm washing all my good clothes in the sink with Woolite!

• sarahlynne
    9 years ago

Agree with everyone re frustrations, but think it has more to do with fabric, either content or sizing or manufacturing process, than possible bugs, etc. this just didn't happen several years ago, so think it's probably a combination of manufacturing changes plus normal abrasion. I have taken clothing back because of holes only in front and not had problem, which makes me think they know more than they are letting on. Has anyone else tried returning merchandise with holes in front?

• linbmcd
    9 years ago

I have read many of these excellent and informative posts, and would like to throw out a few thoughts. Forgive me if I have repeated what others have said (there are SO MANY postings!)

It's clear there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some people may have holes due to bugs. Some may have holes due to fabric stress (from wear and tear), which may be from washing machines, or leaning against counters, or seat belts, etc. But I also would think it's possible that some may have holes from some combination of these three (or any other likely) culprits. For example, if you lean against that rough-edged counter consistently, you may be wearing down the fabric in that spot, and when it hits the washer, the agitation (or the presence of bras or other items with hooks, etc.) may be sufficient to weaken the area enough so that the next time you lean against that counter - voila - hole(s). You get the idea.

I myself have experienced these mystery holes for years in cotton tank tops and rayon tops - all in the same location (belly-button general area), and nowhere else. So in my situation, it makes sense that they are being caused by local wear and tear (like seat belts, countertops) and/or washing with items that have hooks or something else snag-worthy, as opposed to bugs (why would they eat holes in the same spot on my tops?).

Good luck with the sleuthing!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

" Some may have holes due to fabric stress (from wear and tear), which may be from ... leaning against counters, or seat belts, etc."

I think the problem may be a combination of this and the cheaper quality of cotton tops in general. Pull your t-shirts up a little when you are doing dishes, leaning over the countertop to put on make-up, buckling your seat belt, etc. and you will likely see the problem go away. All of my t-shirts had this issue until I started this preventive practice and it seems to be working.

• perthwestie
    9 years ago

Ok like alot of you i have the same problem with little holes on my tshirts some of which have NEVER been worn. It started happening about a year ago. I went on a shopping holiday came home and becuase of the season didnt wera what i got. Went to put the first tshirt on and there were little holes. I had never worn them. I dont have a belly button and i wear aprons in the kitchen. Its getting a very expensive problem for me. My other half isnt having the same bproblem ts just mine.

• PRO
    Sempiternal Interior Designs
    6 years ago

I've been having this issue for years now. It's a bug of some sort. I have holes in almost all my cotton shirts and it's ONLY in the spring and summer time this happens. I believe the bugs go dormant until warmer weather. I have tried everything from foggers, to sprays, to moth balls and cedar blocks in my drawers. NOTHING stops them and I haven't seen any bugs in my dresser but obviously they're there. As you can see by the picture those are the holes they make. It's making me insane because I have spent so much money on shirts only to have to chuck them out because they become full of holes. I am constantly cleaning as well. I believe I picked them up in my dresser when we had to live with a friend for a bit who wasn't the best at housekeeping. Any advice to what these bugs are and how to kill them once and for all please let me know!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Have you checked the hamper and area for silverfish, a type of fabric loving bug?

• enduring
    6 years ago

Also crickets eat fabrics. If I keep up with the laundry and don't let it lay on the floor, the crickets doesn't get to the laundry. Do you have your hamper in the basement of an old foundation home? My house is old and on an old clay block foundation. I have an assortment of bugs down there. But I just let them be. Except for the crickets, I step on them. I live in the country, in a living breathing house, lol. I never have holes in my clothes, unless something is lost under a counter, where the crickets got to it. But the holes would be a bit larger than what you show. You might have silverfish.

• S.
    6 years ago

So glad I found this post! After reading through many, many, comments, I am in the "cheaper/weaker fabric further ruined at stress points (zippers, buttons, seat-belts, countertops) and fate of shirts sealed by HE washers", camp.

I just don't believe that bugs are the culprits in the instances where the holes are in one specific area, like the waist. Why would bugs eat shirts at the waist only? Maybe sweat and body oils make the cloth extra tasty, but then why no holes in the armpit or even chest area? It seems people who both fold and hang their shirts experience the holes, so again, a bug targeting the waist only doesn't make sense. In the cases where holes are randomized, I'd be more likely to think bugs.

And now I'm intrigued enough to contact an entomologist.

• Jennifer Martin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi People, I have this problem and it's carpet beetle. I swear. The holes appear near the belly button because there's some protein from the belly button that rubs onto the t-shirt cotton fabric that the carpet beetles love. However, I've also had holes appear under the armpit, random ones in the back and in various other places. They seem to love thin cotton, but will also attack cotton blends. Any wool or cashmere that's dirty they'll love. Also, look for holes in any feather stuffed products. I found tiny holes along the sleeve seams of my Canada Goose. yeah, lucky me.

They are a bitch to get rid of. I've tried chemical sprays, I've dusted diatomaceous earth, and I've tried heat treatment twice and failed. I vacuum every day, and clean like crazy, but carpet beetles can find any nook and cranny and they can live for years without feeding. Also, carpet beetles are very hard to locate. They are notorious for living in hard to find places, like under your carpet or baseboard. So, unless you destroy the construction of your place, you will never know. I only know i have them because I've done so much research and I destroyed my baseboards to find a colony of hundreds underneath my kitchen island. Just because you have never seen carpet beetles does not mean you don't have them. Also, forget glue traps: I've put dozens of them around my house, but for some reason, these larvae know better than to smother their hairs on glue. I almost feel like the smell of glue doesn't interest them.

I would love any comments from anyone that's succeeded in getting rid of carpet beetles.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I lived in an apartment building with carpet beetles and the exterminator said you can't get rid of them unless every one of the 35 units works together and cleans and treats every three months for at least a year or two. Sorry to say I gave up and I moved. It was exhausting packing all wool away every single time I wore an item.

• Jennifer Martin
    6 years ago

Question for you horton: when you moved did they disappear? They've been with me for each of the eight places I've moved to since having them. For the last two places, I heat treated everything, and yet, they somehow found a way to come to my new place. I'm so dispirited.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I was extremely careful. All clothes were washed and sealed in plastic ziplock xxlarge storage bags. All wool (and I collect cashmere vintage and new) was always kept in special clear plastic drawers from the container store, but to be safe I washed all and sealed in 2 gallon ziplocks for months after. All linens etc.. were washed on super hot water, placed in xlarge ziplocks and only taken out as I used them. My mattress and boxspring were placed in dust mite proof bags upon arrival to the new place. The movers helped me do that. I only took one upholstered chair and that was throughly vacuumed and steamed before being placed in a large black bag and sealed with tape and not opened for a month then re vacuumed. My table was vacuumed carefully. I replace all other furniture.

In the end I had placed a cashmere scarf, gloves and hat in one of the plastic drawers without cleaning it first and that was the only place I ever found any damage. I threw out those items as they were damaged way beyond saving and cleaned that one drawer and never had a problem again. I have moved again since then and have never had a problem.

I do want to say that I owned very little at that time and was able to move in one trip in a large van. I am not an owner of decor items, though I now have several art pieces. I believe that stuff gives the little buggers places to hide.

Also another thing about those little holes in cotton t-shirts, I rarely if ever found them in my shirts 6 years ago, it is only now that I find them. My holes are without a doubt, not carpet beetles. Material quality in the past several years has taken a real nose dive. I currently place all my newer shirts in mesh bags when washing them and that is making a difference. Anything I have bought from the Gap is almost guaranteed to have holes after the first wash, so now I don't buy from the Gap.

Good luck with getting rid of those nasty carpet beetles.

• jennmartin2018
    6 years ago

I agree that material quality has gone down the tubes at the Gap, but I don't think that's the reason for your holes. I would suspect carpet beetles. I worked in textiles, and if the holes are cut clean (so no stress around the hole edges), then it's bug bites, so either moth or carpet beetles, rather than snagging from machines or countertop edges. Generally, fabric will not tear apart on its own, and if it's snagged it's a different hole than when a bug has eaten cleanly through the fabric. Carpet beetles are insanely hard to get rid of and I would suspect even if you brought over two larvae, they would take six years to ramp up enough damage to make them now noticeable.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I understand why you would think I have carpet beetles now, but I truly don't think so. I know just what to look for and have not seen a single sign. The holes would appear in wool and especially cashmere first as that is their favorite and nope not a tiny hole. My wool is no longer sealed away but is right next to my cotton. IMO in my case it is poor fabric careless wear (rubbing against things) and less than carful washing. Just placing the now popular thinner fabrics in mesh bags has lessened the holes to rare instead of always.

Good luck in your quest of ridding yourself of carpet beetles. It can be done but really requires diligence and I believe professional help.

• L C
    6 years ago

Ohmigoodness, this thread has been going on for 11 years! The problem is your jeans button! When you wear a tshirt and lean into a hard surface such as a kitchen counter, the tiny holes are caused by friction between your jeans button, kitchen counter and t-shirt falling in between. The holes could start small, but get bigger in the washer or dryer. The solution is here - www.holebuttoncover.com

Like Save

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!