Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of laundry closet for stacked units.

Posted by bldn10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 9:27

I am renovating an old house to sell and space for the W/D is precious. I'm afraid I will have to plan for either a stack unit or a stackable pair. What are the minimum inside dimensions I need to allow? Most are 27" wide and around 31" deep but I don't think that includes the dryer hose that is another 4" min. As of now I can get 35" deep and 4' wide w/ 32" door. Thanks.

Bill/Memphis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of laundry closet for stacked units.

It is best to check the manufacturer's spec sheet for these dimensions. They vary quite a bit between brands. You can find the specs on their web sites. It is good if you can take a tape measure and measure the actual units in the store, too.

Make the closet as big as you can. I had plenty of room per the specs for an LG FL stacked pair and HD would not install them - said it was too tight. So, I went to Best Buy, got a Whirlpool set and they installed them without a problem. They are a chore to slide in and out though, so having a little wiggle room is helpful.

Be mindful of possible vibration issues that can crop up in any house, old or new. Be sure you can return them if they vibrate too much.

Good luck with your shopping.

o

The specs on websites are for the actual unit - I haven't found any that tell you what the clearances should be w/ hoses.

o

What are your options for placement of the water connections, drain, electrical, and the dryer vent? If you can locate them all on a side, you can make use of the 4' width. Otherwise, the 35" depth is going to be a problem.

o

Stack units have side vent outlets? I looked online at Sears and GE and did not see that to be the case. So, even if the house vent can be on the side you still have to come out the back of the dryer and make a turn.

o

Stack units have side vent outlets? I looked online at Sears and GE and did not see that to be the case. So, even if the house vent can be on the side you still have to come out the back of the dryer and make a turn.

o

The Whirlpool Duet dryer has the capability to vent out the back or either side. It will enable less space to be needed in back. It can be used when the units are stacked.

Good luck!

o

Unfortunately, the Duet pair require a closet 38.5" deep even w/ side venting, and I don't have that kind of room.

This is not for me - this is a spec rehab.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here