Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aboc1212_gw

Asko detergent tray not opening

aboc1212
12 years ago

We have an Asko W6863 (about a year old) and we've had a few problems with the door latch that, honestly, haven't been resolved after several service visits. However, until we get the larger issue resolved with Asko (ie - a new washer) I can at least still open it using a screwdriver to pop the latch.

HOWEVER, yesterday the detergent tray stopped opening. Normally you give it a little push in and the tray pops out but now nothing happens. What this means for me is that I can't do laundry!!!

Has anyone had this issue and figured out a way to get the tray open?

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• vala55
    12 years ago

I was told by a repair man that they had a lot of service calls because the cup the softener goes in was clogging up. He advised me to cut it half with water and use more to make up for the difference. If you are using liquid detergent maybe the same thing is happening. I still put my soap in the water and I don't use softeners. I used to put it in my towels, but now I just rinse twice.

• aboc1212
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: Our service guy finally came and it turns out the removable part of the tray wasn't all the way back in and so it was hanging up. Interestingly he also told me that I should only be using 1/2 tsp detergent and that if I was using more that might be related to the washer door not opening at the end of the cycle....

• markb
    12 years ago

Let me be the first to say that your "service guy" is an idiot. One half teaspoon of detergent wouldn't properly clean my dinner plate much less a load of normally soiled laundry. What kind of business would employ a moron who would foist erroneous information on gullible consumers?

The amount of detergent one uses is based on three things: the size of the load, the soil level of the load, and the quality of your water. Nothing more, nothing less. Detergent dosing has NOTHING to do with how much or how little water a specific machine uses.

Detergent dosing has NOTHING to do with how much or how little water a specific machine uses.

Detergent dosing has NOTHING to do with how much or how little water a specific machine uses.

I felt the need to repeat that statement several times as many consumers have a hard time grasping that concept.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Nor can it possibly have any relation to whether the machine's door will or will not open.

• aboc1212
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What we were told was that the Tide HE we had was super duper concentrated so using more detergent than that would leave a sudsy reside that would (somehow) signal the door not to open. It sounded at least plausible so I tried it but, the door still has a problem. Our clothes do seem clean enough, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing since we have been having this door issue for a while.....

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

I agree that your service technician is an idiot. Even the manual states 1-1.5 TBSP (TABLE spoons) for soft water conditions. Please do not listen to your idiot technician.