Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandimccarron

Speed queen top loader and matching dryer

sandimccarron
9 years ago

Any suggestions? Every few loads there is a black ring that develops around the upper part of the tub. After it dries, it appears as a powdery residue. Speed Queen says I need to wipe it out with something like simple green.

In addition, my matching front load dryer, usually takes 2 cycles to dry on permanent press. On regular heat , with fabric on regular setting it often shuts off. These problems have been since the first day I owned these machines 6/14. Repairman has been here 4 or 5 times and has replaced, timer, thermostat, etc.

I did a ton of research before buying these, but am ready to get rid of them as
I am so frustrated. Any suggestions on good machines?

Comments (61)

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hvtech,

Where did you get the information that speed queen permits raising of water level?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I would guess that the ring around the top is similar to a bathtub ring and caused by the soap you are using, an especially dirty load of laundry, etc. My old machine would build up a ring once in a while and I would just clean it off with Simple Green as I figured it was nothing more than a ring of dirt and soap. I never had a problem with laundry not coming clean so I didn't attribute it to a defect in the washer (older Whirlpool). Haven't really noticed it in the Speed Queen's stainless tub. My old tub was white.

• emma
    9 years ago

This is really hard to understand. I am 77 years old, got my first washer and dryer when I was 20 and have never had a machine that did not clean or dry my clothes or stink. If I were you I would by the cheapest set of top loaders you can find and buy the extended warranty. I did that and my warranty is good for 5 years all free. I can even get a yearly check up. I am still ahead financially and it all works.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not too worried about warranty as it is long on speed queen.
    Jelly toast,I a ma using the same detergent ( Kirkland brand ) that I used for years. Our laundry isn't very dirty...we usually wear clothes once,occasionally twice. I bought tide washer cleaner, used hot water and still have the ring. I tried the Tide Gentle and still
    have the ring.
    It is strange to me that speed queen has said this is normal due to water restriction. They need to fix the issue instead of expecting the consumer, who has paid " big bucks" to take care of the problem. I do not know of anyone else who must wipe the ring off every other wash. Both my daughter and
    daughter in law have he whirlpool and do not have a problem.
    And with2 kids and 4 kids , they surely have more dirt!
    Going to make more calls to dealer and speed queen tomorrow, after I wipe off the current ring!
    A

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

What Speed Queen is saying about the water restriction being the cause of the ring doesn't make sense. Yes, the level is lower than it was a number of years ago, but every washer new or older has a maximum water level. If you want to try an increased water level for a few loads you can do that by holding the water level knob to "Reset" once it has done the maximum fill, but I don't think that is going to make the ring go away. You probably need to clean the ring off and then use a different detergent for multiple loads and see if it comes back.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I have not raised the water level on my SQ, but I don't overfill the washer either. I just add less clothes to account for the lower water level. I also use Kirkland detergent (liquid) from Costco. I almost always use the second rinse feature on my SQ, so maybe that makes a difference in the formation of a "ring". If you have that feature, you might want to try it for a couple of loads to see if that alleviates the problem. If it does, then maybe reducing the amount of clothes in the washer would allow them to rinse better with the single rinse.

Perhaps SQ is insinuating that you are overloading the washer which could account for them not being rinsed completely? Putting less clothes in the washer is the same as raising the water level.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI, Speed Queen, represented by Alliance Laundry Systems LLC , says this is a problem with rinse water not being high enough, not that fill level for wash is lower.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I don't understand how if it's the reduced water level for the rinse that every Speed Queen owner with a recent machine isn't afflicted with this "ring around the tub" problem. If you think they're right then I suggest you wait by the machine for it finish filling for the rinse then using the "reset" add more water and see if you can clear up the "ring".

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Dryer:

Sometimes dryer problems are not of the dryer. IF it's electric, I would check the voltage being supplied to the beast while under full load. You could have a bad breaker, bad wiring connections at any one or more of the electrical connections, starting all the way back at the main house breaker in the panel, to the motor connectors. Quick test: feel the dryer's panel breaker to see if it's at all warm. The pigtail (cord) too.

And be very thorough in checking the entire dryer vent air path, from the ambient room air all the way through to outside the house. This includes, like laundryvet said, checking the fan which should NEVER be off when the dryer's running.

And it would be remiss to NOT answer every one of laundryvet's list of pretty danged good questions.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Last I knew Speed Queen was using the same (low) fill level for rinse as for wash. Please don't tell me they are now pulling a page out of Whirlpool's book and only filling a few inches for rinse a la the last direct drives?

sandimccarron: I was told by an SQ dealer that they were permitting water level adjustments.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

SandiMcCarron,

Speed Queen is telling you that the rinse water level is lower than the wash water level? Have you visually observed it? I doubt that's the case, unless the machine has two water level controls, one on the panel for the user to adjust the wash level and another hidden/inaccessible that's preset for a low rinse level. There *are*/were some recent toploaders from Whirlpool with that design but I am not aware that it applies to Speed Queen.

Or, if they're inferring that the rinse level is the same as the wash but that the rinse needs to be higher to eliminate the residue rinse ... that makes no sense being that millions of toploaders for YEARS have run the same (user-selected) fill level for both wash and rinse and black rings of residue weren't rampant among them all.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Deleted double post

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 19:45

• azmom
    9 years ago

"FYI, Speed Queen, represented by Alliance Laundry Systems LLC , says this is a problem with rinse water not being high enough, not that fill level for wash is lower."

I disagree. Since I just started a load of laundry, I specifically watched the water lever for 'wash' and 'rinse' cycles, both were at the same level. I also used the extra rise feature, the water level is also at exact same level as 'wash' and 'rinse' cycles.

We usually do not use Extra Rinse feature, we have never changed water setting and keep it as factory set default level, but our SQ tub is clean, shinning and never has black ring ever. Our dryer dries perfectly too.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I second grubby_me's suggestion to go through and answer all of laundryvet's questions, especially these:

-are the hoses new or uses old hoses?
    -are the hose filters in place?

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with residue within the hoses, especially since the ring is black and forms quickly. Even if the hoses are new, maybe they are defective. It would be easy enough to switch those out and see if the issue lies there.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Does anyone there use bath oil or baby oil, then it transfers to towels etc?
    I have personally seen this(not my house) and it builds up a ring of gunk around the tub top. (Old Maytag washer). User washed in cold water all the time and liquid detergent. Oils build up, then other dirt added to it from other loads. Didn't take long to have a nice ring around top of tub although the washer also did a spin drain like SQ.
    If not that, I would wash several loads, leave the ring on there and have a Rep. come out to check it out. If they can't stop it I would go back with F&P or whatever brand you didnt have trouble with. F&P does a neutral drain(I think you said you had F&P before) and SQ does spin drain. I am wondering if that isn't the problem for some reason. Personally I had rather have a spin drain but that just comes from having spin drain machines for years, then a terrible Kenmore but that was years ago.
    Hope you get this worked out.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Regarding questions,washer is AWN542. The house is 11 years old. The hoses are not terribly old. I don't believe that lines were flushed when washer installed. Ring looks black, but when dried and wiped, it is a yellowish powder. I use simple green or a paste of borax to remove which is what speed queen suggested.. Once again, they say it's normal, but I plan to call and complain again today.
    Yes, I do use body cream, but this is not new since getting this washer.

Dryer is electric ADE4BR. There is about 2.5 feet of corrugated vent pipe to wall and there is one bend which looks to be almost 90 degrees. Vent lines were he checked and cleaned.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have tried to attach a picture.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Yep, you have a ring around your tub and I wish I had an answer to explain it. My washer doesn't have one or get one. Logic says that it has to be coming from 1 of 4 sources (or a combination).

1. The laundry
    2. The detergent
    3. The water (not the level, but the water itself)
    4. The hardware, as in the washer, hoses or pipes

Is there a reason that you didn't use the new hoses that came with the washer? Wish I had something else to offer.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Run a hot load with white distilled vinegar poured into the water and see if that doesn't help. Might have to just clean out the pipes. Maybe get new pipes that bring the water in to the machine.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Since I hadn't used the Permanent Press cycle on my dryer, I just did a load with both the temp and timer on the Permanent Press settings and everything was dry and the timer only got part way into the "Less Dry" area so you've definitely got a problem. I remembered a discussion on another forum about an older Whirlpool dryer on another forum that was acting similar to yours and it ended up being the high limit thermostat that was causing the problem. Dryers are basically the same so this could be the problem with your Speed Queen. I've included a link below and maybe you could print it out and show it to the repairman to get him on the right track.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tweaking Whirlpool Automatic Dryness Control

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dew guy,
    . I know that the cycling thermostat has been replaced
    The dryer turns of mostly when doing a set of king size sheets... Whenever fabric selector is on regular. I have a call into repair people and will ask about a high limit thermostat.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I have a call into repair people and will ask about a high limit thermostat.

Ask them to install the new hoses that came with your washing machine while they are at it.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

When you start to dry your sheets, as you get them out of the washer, fold them like you were going to put them away. Doesn't have to be that neatly of course, then put them in the dryer folded. Start dryer and dry. Helps keep them from balling up so much.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sparky

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received a return email from Alliance Laundry Systems after sending the picture of my washer. They sent me an attached Field Bulletin ( FB-14-8) dated April 2014 entitled Home Top Load Washer. The bulletin said that, due to the government mandate to reduce water consumption, the upper portion of the top load washer doesn't get submerged in the wash or rinse cycle. This is what causes the black ring, which won't harm clothing, etc and it should be wiped out after each use. It also says that this will not be covered as a warranty service call. So. Unless you want to clean the ring after each load DO NOT BUY SPEED QUEEN!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Just raise the water level and be glad that Speed Queen makes it so easy to do so!

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Like I said I've had my Speed Queen AWN542 for 7, almost 8 months and I do 4-6 loads a week plus a few random loads here and there. I've never cleaned out my tub during that time. I've included a pic of my tub as it currently appears (no Photoshopping was done) and there is no ring, not even a slight one.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Yeah it seems that most people, even those who don't adjust the water level, don't get the ring. But raising the water level is a good idea anyway, as it will give you a greater wash capacity without you having to hold the water level knob in the "reset" position.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Water level raised.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Cool. Let us know if it helps!

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Perhaps you're not using enough detergent, and the ring is greasy laundry soil residue that isn't getting flushed away, exacerbated by the frequent cold-water washing.

If you've been washing primarily in cold water for some period of time, there can be residue in the machine's outer tub as well. Just one or two warm or hot washes then switching back to primarily cold is not sufficient to get rid of a residue build-up.

Liquid detergent may also contribute to the problem. Doesn't matter if your previous machine didn't have the problem ... this is a different washer that is likely to have different characteristics.

Keep in mind when doing the suggested adjustment on the water level control, that the lower end of the range will be raised along with the upper end. It may be more versatile to leave the adjustment alone so as to retain the low end of the range as per the factory setting, and use the Reset function to get more water if/when needed. The drawback to that method is that you have to remember to use the Reset function again to increase the rinse fill if the load is large enough to require it for good rinsing.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

Have been following this thread and I can no longer hold my peace. I have the awn542 and yes there are times I too have a ring around the tub. Not bad and no big deal. But really sandi, what's the big deal? A damp papertowel, or wash cloth and a quick swipe is NOT a major task. You can go with a FL and deal with wiping a boot and mold and mildew issues or a tl he,even worse. Either deal with it or get something else. Chances are you will you will have the same or even worse problems.

• sandimccarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beagle. I am dealing and , unlike yours, the ring is not only sometimes. Hopefully raising the water level will help.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Mine had a ring too I noticed. But I reset the water level on mine when I got it. nothing greasy or anything, just seemed to notice a little bit darker;...no big deal though.

Had the pair for 18 months now and they have been a pleasure to use.

LETS HEAR IT FOR RIPON,WISCONSIN ! GO SPEED QUEEN !

• smith02_gw
    9 years ago

sandimccarron

Having followed this discussion, know you have a problem, let me ask a basic question. When you first got the SQ installed, did you wipe the drum down with a cleaner to remove the factory dust? From the manual:

IMPORTANT: Prior to first wash, use an all
    purpose cleaner, or a detergent and water
    solution, and a damp cloth to remove shipping
    dust from inside of washtub.

I did, got a lot of dust that looks like your ring. Additionally, after doing this, the installer suggested running a full cycle with hot water and a little soap to get out any cleaner and missed factory dust that may be left. No ring so far although I do wipe the washer down monthly usually after a hot water wash. Now I know there can't be that much dust left in the washer so it has to be either the water or detergent.

If your water has a high iron content, that may contribute, just saying.

Good luck.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have "the ring". It's dried soap residue from the suds on top of the water. I had to rub very hard with a washcloth and got a little white powder off. It doesn't come off on your clothes, so I don't see what the big deal is. It's probably been on every white enamel tub you've ever had, but you're only aware of it now because it's on a SS tub. Nothing to pester SQ about IMO.

• roni5863
    8 years ago

My washing machine looks like this too. My washer is about two years old and this is the second tub that's been installed. The first tub looked like this too. Rep at Speed Queen told me to put in one gallon of Simple Green to clean the tub. I said an entire gallon, all at one time? She said yes. I asked several times because I couldn't understand why you would put one gallon of Simple Green in for one complete wash cycle.

As far as cleaning my clothes? My washing machine is just getting worse over time. It isn't even getting the dirt out and new stains are appearing. How bad is it? Every day that I do laundry I use 300 - 400 gallons of water and that's for a family of two. Most difficult part of the day is walking the dog. The water utility company called us because there was such a spike in water usage. Its been a pain but with all of the monitoring the gallons per laundry day is correct.

I finally called the store where I purchased my machine and they sent a repair person. He told me I needed to clean my machine because it was dirty and yet he said wow your machine looks really good. I had just cleaned it with vinegar + baking soda. I wipe the inside of my machine after each and every load of laundry.

He told me my laundry detergent was older than three months so that was the reason my clothes weren't getting clean. I have to run a lot of my clothes through at least five complete cycles and they still aren't clean. I had some clothes soaking in a five gallon bucket and I showed him how dirty the water was. These clothes had already been washed twice (this is when he told me my detergent was outdated). I called the German company that I purchase my laundry powder from and they told me they'd never heard of an expiration date before. You do need to follow their instructions when storing powder detergent.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my clothes clean. The tech said reduce the size of your loads (doesn't this defeat agitation of clothing?); increase the size of the loads of laundry; wash your clothes in warm/hot water (I already do); use powder detergent (I do); clean your machine (ad nauseam); buy new detergent (less than 3 months old); don't constantly switch detergents; one tech said ok to use a presoak and one said don't because you're changing the chemistry of the products; and how do you get a rep from Speed Queen to return your phone call?

This particular model was supposed to be the best top loader Speed Queen made. Despite all of the Government regulations they were able to add a feature that allowed you to add more water. That wasn't enough of an increase in water level though. They allowed authorized reps to provide you with a special part that would override the water level.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If your machine is two years or older what's happening?

Thanks

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I started reading this and ran like h3!! To my washer..didn't see anything so I shined a flashlight...oh no...at the top of the tub there is about a 2 inch ring around the tub..not anywhere near as bad as the photo above but its there..I have only had my speed queen 11 days..I rarely use liquid detergent. .so far maybe 4 times..I always use hot water..I will read all the above posts..but what else can go wrong with my washers...beagle..maylingsmom shine a flashlight on yours.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I took a papertowel and kightly sprayed mean green on it..and wiped a portion this is what I got

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Is it polishing compound still...I cleaned this tub till every trace was gone..I have only used liquid detergent a few times..I always use hot water..its very rare to use cool or even warm..later I will wipe the entire tub again and see where all its as at..

Whoever up there^^^ said speed queen says its a soap ring...we use detergent NOT soap..two different animals. I'm getting damned pissed off with all these washer issues. And to top it off the dealer called and couldn't come today, can't come till Saturday.

Ok I'm calmed down..so I will take a cloth and wipe it off once in awhile..no major problem..I like to play with my washer anyway lol..just for a minute there I didn't see reason..it probably is a detergent and softener ring along with soils. It will wipe off. Besides with everything else in your home your washer also needs cleaned. Thing is not to let it get as bad as the photo above...I would never let anything in my house get that dirty so I'm not letting my washer get that dirty either lol

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roni my rant wasn't directed at you

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Roni..what kind of detergent do you use and what water temp..also do you have hard or soft water

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roni when you say your clothes arnt getting clean do you mean stains arnt comming out or do you mean all over dinginess?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

ICan't understand why your getting dirty clothes after that many washes in warm/ hot water with detergent. .

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

Mamapinky, I do have a dark ring around my tub too, but in another thread, I only noticed when I started using Tide HE Turbo, liquid or powder, tough I do get one with Wisk HE, no as bad though. And it feels like lint or hair but doesn't show up when I wipe it off with a cloth. Doesn't bother me anymore.

Glad you calmed down a bit,:-) Was going to tell you to just breathe. Don't worry everything will be ok.

• dewguy1999
    8 years ago

@beaglenc
    Your description sounds like it may be a form of tarnish that is appearing because of the water (with detergent and/or fabric softner) is splashing up and hitting it above the water line. I figure it's not getting it below the water line because the friction from the moving clothes, etc. is polishing it off. They do say that the tub gets smoother with use. I'll bet the "ring" will come off with a bit of Bar Keepers Friend.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Dewguy..I took a rag with a few squirts of mean green and it wiped off..it was a charcoal grey color.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Thank you Beagle..yep I'm calm now..I figure using detergent and what not will cause some kind of debris at the waterline..hey I remember your thread about that awhile back..I thought it was the SOAP used in detergent as a suds supressor..hmm maybe it is, mines wiping off dark grey but that could be dirt mixed in with it. I will get out to the shed and check my old machine out..maybe I never noticed because its porcelain with speckles.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

The way I look at it(if it was mine) a year from now I won't know if it has a ring around it or not cause I wouldn't think to look much less care. Just get clothes in there and get them done and out. LOL Too many bigger things to worry over than a streak.