Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mileaday

Depth of 'Closet' for washer/dryer

mileaday None
14 years ago

I'm cross posting and trying to get a quick answer to how much interior "closet" space I need for my "future" washer and dryer. Presently, 36" is more than enough to allow for the machines, hoses and venting. But,if in the future I purchase front loaders I don't know if 3' from wall to door will be enough. If anyone has their machines enclosed I'd love to know how much interior depth spacing you allowed. If you just have them against a wall, I'd appreciate a measurement from wall to front which takes into account the extra space needed behind the machines. Thanks for your time.

Comments (12)

• steve_a
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have compact (24" wide) machines mounted in a closet that's about 24" deep, plus several inches of door frame to cheat with. So I can't answer your question directly. However, if you look at specs and installation instructions for some machines like you might get, they tell you most everything. If you vent a dryer out the back, you need to add about 6", unless you use a periscope vent. Some vent out the sides, so you might only need 1" or less. Usually the specs and installation instructions are available on the web.

• cedar32
    14 years ago

I had posted the same question a few weeks ago.... go here for the thread...which you may find helpful..... I have about 37 inches of depth and am planning on the 9400 Duet Washer/Gas dryer. I'd like to vent it out the back... which I think I'll have the room for...but can also vent the dryer out the right side, which I should also have the room.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0921433227656.html?3

Here is a link that might be useful: depth for washer dryer

• westrid_dad
    14 years ago

We have the Whirlpool Duet 9400 set and they fit in our closet area which measures 35 1/2 inches from the back wall to the back of the folding doors. There is about a one inch space between the front of the washer/dryers and the closet doors when they are closed. Tight fit, but I was pleasantly surprised to see they make it in there. I really didn't want to have to go with a top-loader. The Electrolux models appear to require even less space, depending upon install method they could potentially be placed flush against the back wall of the closet.

• cedar32
    14 years ago

Westrid Dad.... on your 9400 dryer... are you venting out the back of the dryer or out from the side...also...do you have a gas or electric dryer?

thanks

• westrid_dad
    14 years ago

cedar32, we are venting out the back and we have the electric dryer. We've had the pair for almost a month, so it is still early, but so far we do really like the performance of both the washer and the dryer.

We vent out the back and then up through the roof, so it's about an 18-20 foot run. With our old-style top-load w/d it was getting to the point where it was taking 2-3 hours to dry a full loud of towels or jeans. I was worried that the new set would still take awhile to dry, but because the clothes are coming out of the washer so much drier the dry cycle is less than the wash cycle. My wife is very happy, so I'm very happy.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

Also note that if you're planning on stacking, many of the units require MORE depth.

• chris_domanihomes_com
    12 years ago

uutting washer and dryer in a closet, have a front loader washer, wondering what width of the closet works when by-fold doors are open, so the washer door can open 120degrees?

• natschultz
    12 years ago

Measure the door / unit when open 120 degrees - that's your answer. Probably 24" on the side it swings out to. If you have a 5' closet (60") then put the machine in the corner and you'll have 24" free on one side.

• chris_domanihomes_com
    12 years ago

uutting washer and dryer in a closet, have a front loader washer, wondering what width of the closet works when by-fold doors are open, so the washer door can open 120degrees?

• lescobar
    7 years ago

Wonderful information. Thanks Cliff

• Cliff Stoll
    7 years ago

You're welcome, Les Cobar! I just looked at my link to those photos ... that goes back 3 or 4 years. Today (11-(2016), we're still quite happy with how the stacked laundry has worked out. If I were to do it again, I'd worry more about sound reduction and service/removal of the appliances. I'd consider a big access door on the *outside* of the cubby, so that I could get to the back of each machine without moving it.