Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capejohn

gas vs electric clothes dryer

capejohn
14 years ago

I posted this in the appliance forum but just noticed there is this "Laundry Forum"...so thought I'd cross post here, as well.

We are debating whether to have an electric dryer or a natural gas clothes dryer. We've always had electric but electric rates are a bit higher in our new location. Can people please share their comments on the pros and cons of gas vs electric. Thank you.

This is for new construction...so we presently have a choice whether to make it a gas .... or an electric hook up.

thanks

Comments (12)

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

I think the decision is usually made based on whatever is most cost-effective. I've only had gas dryers because in my area natural gas is cheaper than electricity.

Gas dryers do tend to cost a little bit more than the same electric model, I'm not sure why.

So if your gas rates are low enough to make a difference, I'd probably go with that.

• User
    14 years ago

Gas is cheaper to run and it does not dries the clothes out like electric.
    I have both setup and I prefer the gas over electric because of this.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

In my area, gas rates are higher than electric rates. Gas used to be cheaper until it was deregulated a few years ago.

My decision would be based on utility rates.

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

I went with gas because it was cheaper than electric. Since it's still electronic ignition, gotta have an electic hook-up anyway. When I replaced my dryer after 17 years, I stayed with gas.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

If I had to use an electric dryer, I couldn't afford to dry my clothes. Where I live electricity is very expensive.

My decision is absolutely based on energy cost because I don't really think there is a difference in machine performance one way or another.

• capejohn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your insights.... electric is very expensive where we are building.... so I think it will be a gas dryer for us.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

A bit OT, but thought I should mention -- sunshine is free of charge! Lots of people are rediscovering the joys of hanging laundry out to dry. Clothes not dried in a dryer last longer, too. Just something to consider.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

> sunshine is free of charge

unless it's raining, OR cold and snowy in Wisconsin winters ...

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

Some people in areas which have lots of rainfall and/or long, cold winters have clotheslines or racks in basements. And even people who have long, cold winters can often hang out laundry in spring, summer, and fall.

A friend of mine has a retractable clothesline in her garage. She likes to open the windows when she hangs out laundry there.

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

In my climate, sunshine is a 360 day a year event but the doggone air is dusty.... probably from dryer vents, lol. I have a clothesline for pool towels, though, and hang delicates to air-dry anyway. I've lived here so long I forgot that people vent their dryers to the inside in other climates.

• dallasbill
    14 years ago

You should make sure that you put a 220V outlet in the laundry room anyway. The people who buy your house, if you ever sell, may very well have an electric dryer. That's what we did and it's easy when you are building.