Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Whirlpool direct drive washer no spin

Posted by e50095 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 7:51

I would really appreciate some technical advice on this one. Here's what I have. A five year olf Whirlpool direct drive washer. It fills, agitates, drains, but does not spin. On the spin cycle, when I look underneath, I hear the motor running, see the motor coupler spinning, and see the clutch spinning. I've tried to research as much as I can, but I'm at a crossroads. I understand that since the motor runs, the lid switch, although a common problem, is good. I also read that since it agitates and the clutch is spinning, the coupler is good. If those are both true, I'm now lost. I read a little about the drive block, and possible transmission problems, but I ned advice on where to go from here. I sincerely appreciate any input you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Whirlpool direct drive washer no spin

It could be a clutch problem. If it was the coupler, you wouldn't get any agitating action either. See what the shaft is doing when in spin mode. If it's not spinning, most likely it's a clutch. Not an expensive repair.

o

I replaced the clutch thinking that was the problem....no joy. Can I assume the transmission is okay since the clutch was spinning?

o

If the clutch drum (shiny chrome disc atop the tranmission) turns during spin, then the problem is not inside the transmission. If it doesn't spin then all, or at least part, of the problem is inside the tranny.

Is the lid switch accessible to trigger it manually with the lid open? If so, set the machine to spin, press the lid switch to get it going, and manually turn the basket clockwise. Does that help the spin get going? The spin brake may not be releasing if you can't turn the basket or it's very difficult to turn.

This link is a service manual for direct-drive washers at Whirlpool's tech site.
L-55

o

You're the man, brother. Pulled the pump/tranny/motor assembly out and you hit it the nail on the head. The brake was hanging up. A little cleaning and reinstall and I'm good to go. Six loads down with no problems. I had checked for what a replacement machine would be, and a new Kenmore Elite is $925. My total investment on the new clutch was $50. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here