Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyg_gw

High Capacity Top vs. Front load

bettyg
14 years ago

Does anybody know anything about the GE HARMONY high efficiency top load as compared to the HE front load everybody sells? Now that I'm down to only having three in diapers, I'm thinking about switching everybody to cloth. These seem to have as big (if not slightly bigger) capacity as the front loaders.

Comments (27)

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

I normally wouldn't recommend buying any GE appliance, EXCEPT this model (good reviews) and which is made by LG

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

I don't know what GE Harmony's capacity is, but the latest Maytag Bravos (HE TL washer) has a capacity of 5 cu ft (largest on the market), comes with an internal heater and sanitizing cycle, is built with commercial-grade parts, and also comes with a 10-year warranty.

I have a Maytag Bravos washer and highly recommend them.

• washer_man
    14 years ago

The GE Harmony, and the Maytag Bravos are both good washers, but the Bravos definitely has more capacity.

• linkay42
    14 years ago

I have the GE Harmony and love it!

• ebear1271
    14 years ago

I also have the Harmony and love it. Great machine. The only problem I ever had was with the dryer and it was under warranty. We have 6 people in our house so the washer & dryer get quite a workout! I'm not a fan of FL's and feel that this is a good compromise. You'll use less water than a traditional TL but not have the problems you see associated with the FL's.

• moe_szyslak
    14 years ago

In regards to the ten year warranty, it is important to note that only covers the "drum motor and stainless steel basket (side walls only)", and that is only the parts. The first year, as usual, is full parts and labor on the entire machine.

• wa8b
    14 years ago

It seems to me, that a part of your decision between a FL and a TL might be predicated on your water rates and sewer tax. A top load washer uses about 5 times as much water per load as a similar capacity front loader. Not only will a front loader use far less water than a top loader, but your cost for heating a smaller quantity of water will be less, too. Beyond that, front loaders usually have final spin speeds that are higher than top-load final spins. The faster the washer's final spin, the more water that's removed from wet laundry and the faster the laundry will dry in a tumble dryer.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

wa8b, HE toploaders (like Maytag Bravos and GE Harmony) do not use more water than HE frontloaders. They also have very high spin speeds like FL's. My Bravos has all the advantages of HE without the disadvantages of many FL's.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

I've seen two types of HE top loaders. One essentially has a front loader drum with a hatch in the top that meets up with the top. I suspect these are extremely comparable to the front loaders. The others use a vertical tub (like a regular top loader) but without the large agitator but still cycle similar to the front loader.

Only three in diapers? You got multiples in there?

• bettyg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. The Harmony is in the second category (like a regular toploader only without the agitator). I talked some to the GE Answer center and they say it does behave much like the front loaders and actually is slightly higher in capacity than most of their front loaders.

Yeah, three. No multiples, pretty well spaced out. Things will be constant now that the youngest is trained (and at this point I'm not planning more).

• cynic
    14 years ago

Again, it needs to be clarified that the Cabrio, Oasis and Bravos are sibling machines. Although it's so often hyped here, it should be clarified that "commercial grade" is not a defined term by any reputable authority. It's a sales term. There's no definition on what Maytag calls "commercial grade". It's like saying "heavy duty" but not specifying any specifics. There's no definition to "heavy duty", "large capacity" or other sales terms, but it so often fools people. Washer manufacturers can't even agree on what is "hot", "warm" or "cold".

Also, I don't think I totally agree that the HE toploaders use exactly the same amount of water as do front loaders. They certainly use less than the non-HE agitator toploaders of the past, but most I've seen use more than the average FL. So I'd suggest caution on a lot of these statements, including the warranty.

There's differences between top and front loaders. For some, certain things are an advantage and to someone else it's a detriment and vice versa. It's really best to weigh out your individual needs, budget and desires and then compare them rather than be mislead by errors, false statements and misinformation that unfortunately gets spread here so much.

Back to the topic, the Harmony gets very good reviews here from owners and you've heard from some. There's a model with the heater too which might be of interest to you. As said, they're built by LG and have been around quite a while and have a proven track record. One caution with switching any style of machine: There's a learning curve to each type of machine and with some types, even with the brand/model. Be sure to study the manuals on them, load them correctly and with the HE units it's far more important to not overdose with detergent. You probably won't have any trouble adapting and will soon be very happy with your new machine, once you're working together.

• marytxo
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I have the Kenmore Oasis HE and hate it and am about to buy a new washer and dryer and have no idea what to buy. Is the machine you are talking about the same as the Oasis? Because if so, I would beg you to stay away! I have ruined so many clothes using this washer! I am probably going to buy a basic top-load machine. Any thoughts appreciated.

• cynic
    14 years ago

As I said, the Cabrio, Oasis and Bravos are sibling machines and essentially the same with minor differences. Now if you have one of the original Oasis designs that could be different. The Cabrio and Oasis went through a number of changes before the Bravos came out. Thus the Bravos got some "better reviews" from some people and places and some folks like to tout that as a selling point for their favored brand - and essentially compare apples to turnips.

You don't give a hint as to why you "hate" the Oasis so much so there's no way to know if it's pilot error or the machine. No indication of what, if anything has been tried to solve the problem. Ruining clothes can often be from pilot error just loading the machine wrong and often overloading. Beyond that, I can't give any thoughts since there's absolutely no information to think about.

Begging someone to stay away from a machine is as bad as begging someone to get a machine without any rational thought as to why. If a person misuses one machine they may well misuse another. OTOH, if they're just "used to" a particular machine and won't learn, then perhaps that's a better way to go.

I also have no idea why you would be looking for a new dryer. I assume you either have to have it "match" or you "hate" the dryer too?

• marytxo
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm sorry, I guess I didn't really give any reasons for me not being happy with my washer. I think my machine is the original design. I am only looking for a new dryer to have it "match", the dryer has been fine. I think I am just so frustrated with this washer, that I got carried away a little..."hate" & "begging someone", but when I do a load of wash, I have to use very little detergent and no softener because it doesn't rinse well at all, even though I rinse 3 times!
    I get error messages on any wash cycles I use often, the machine get off balance a lot.
    This washer has ripped our cloths, sheets and towels. I think probably because it tangles the clothes up very tightly.
    Clothing has been stained from softener not being rinsed properly.
    Clothing has been ruined from bleach being left in machine from prior loads.
    If I put a twin size blanket in the machine, it comes out dry in various spots.
    Clothes, bedding and linens do not get clean.
    I don't think the machine gets the loads fully saturated during the wash and rinse cycles.
    After drying loads, there are white spots of soap that was never rinsed out during washing.

• nycjsw
    14 years ago

We have had an Oasis Elite washer and dryer for almost 3 years. Shortly after buying them the washer control panel went out and was replaced at no charge. We have not had any problems since. We don't use bleach too often or water softner. We stick with Tide HE and Oxyclean. I think left over bleach might be a problem with any washer having its own bleach dispenser?

There have been no problems with ripped clothes and the washer cleans really well. It handles a very large load. We were told buy a friend who repair appliances to try not to use the Hot Water cycle on new washers. He stated most have trouble with the condensation it creates and this is when the motherboard/control panels go out. Ours cleans fine the warm cycles. We are happy with both the units.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

njcjsw, I own a Maytag Bravos HE top loading washer. I have never had a problem washing with hot water. No problems with the control board or anything else.

• nycjsw
    14 years ago

The information I got was that most of these washers go bad because electronic parts fail. The reason why they tend to fail is because of condensation and condensation is greatly increased during the hot water cycle. So you are increasing your chances for failure by running the hot water cycle. Note - this does not mean it will fail for sure during the hot water cycle.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

I don't know why the condensation created during hot wash cycles hasn't affected my washer. I just know I haven't had any problems at all.

Several appliance guys and repairmen have told me that Maytag Bravos is the 'top of the line' of the Bravos/Cabrio/Oasis washers, that Bravos is built with commercial-grade parts. They say they do far fewer repairs (if any) on Bravos washers. This is one of the main reasons I bought Bravos.

My DIL owns an Oasis and really likes it, though she did briefly have a problem with odors. She changed her washing routine to overcome that.

• thepond2007
    14 years ago

mtw926, You make some strong points against the Kenmore Oasis. I would hate those problems, too!

I am trying to decide on W/D and want a Top Load large capacity.

From what I hear here, looks like GE Harmony, or Maytag Bravos are the top choices. It is so tough to choose, I also don't want to return large appliances!! I want to know as much as possible before taking them home. This forum has been very helpful.

Bettyg; Have you made any progress??

• thepond2007
    14 years ago

mtw926, You make some strong points against the Kenmore Oasis. I would hate those problems, too!

I am trying to decide on W/D and want a Top Load large capacity.

From what I hear here, looks like GE Harmony, or Maytag Bravos are the top choices. It is so tough to choose, I also don't want to return large appliances!! I want to know as much as possible before taking them home. This forum has been very helpful.

Bettyg; Have you made any progress??

• bettyg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the Harmony is here. Certainly is better than the old non-HE it replaces.
    I'm still waiting on the cloth diaper order, so I've no news to report there.

• thepond2007
    14 years ago

Well, I have been using my Maytag Bravos MVWB850WQ for just over a week now, have washed nearly EVERY fabric item we own. So far, I really like it. It seems to clean very well. I have been very busy finishing our house, so I only used the quick start directions, but I know to use the sheets cycle for sheets, etc. So much to learn!

Using a top load, impeller is different. There is much to learn, and I can't just wash the way I used to in my old machine. But I have seen mustard stain removed without pretreat spray or presoak. I washed a pretty terrible large white throw rug and it came out very well.

I hope they (W/D) hold up well, and are fairly trouble free. I already have to order a part that was broken on dishwasher!

• zoe55
    14 years ago

I bought a Maytag Bravos top loader in March 2008. In June 2009, I noticed brown flakes on the upper rim of the laundry drum. When I ran my fingers up under the rim of the lid, they became covered with gunk/rust. With a flashlight, I was able to see all the rust around the underside of the rim, especially at the back. The owner of the appliance store where I purchased the washer said this was impossible because the lid is plastic. She said she'd order a new top for me. After dragging her feet all summer with one excuse after another, she directed me to the company to which she sold my five year extended warranty. I called the new company and was told by one rep the rust was cosmetic, so it isn't covered. A second call yielded a different rep who said if the rust is getting on my clothes, which it is, the repair or replacement would be covered. When the repairman opened the lid, the amount of rust was shocking. He said it is VERY COMMON in top loaders, but most people don't notice it (lucky me). According to him, EPA regulations prohibit manufacturers from coating the steel lid with the amount of porcelin(?) necessary to prevent rust. With all the water splashing around under the lid, there is no way to prevent it (side loaders don't have this problem). I was told not to bother trying to clean under the rim and even though specks fall onto the clothes, the problem isn't covered. The extended warranty only addresses rust that may develop in the stainless steel tub, which is highly unlikely. The floor under my machine is covered with 'rust droppings'. I have thought about writing Maytag/Whirlpool, but I doubt I will get anywhere. The specks of rust on the clothes is only a minor issue at the moment, but will undoubtedly become worse as the rust continues to build up. I have tried to remove some of the rust several times, but in doing so it gets everywhere and I have to wipe out the machine and run it through the 'clean' cycle. I have read reports about this problem from other Bravos owners, as well as owners of other top loader brands. Unfortunately, I didn't do any research before purchase. So for those of you thinking about getting a top loader, I'd reconsider if I were you!

• wildboar
    14 years ago

Ahh, so now the functional reasoning for the polypropylene top deck of the Fisher and Paykel is revealed. Not just the lid, but the entire top deck.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

zoe55, have you left the lid of the washer open whenever you were not doing laundry? That allows the washer to completely dry out between washings. I've always done that with my washers, whether they were traditional or HE.

• portwest
    14 years ago

Just want to say thank you for posting all your experiences here --- both good and bad. I'm in the market for a new washer, too, so it's helpful to read about these machines.

(Gee, buying a washer never used to be such a difficult choice!)

• cheese64
    14 years ago

Just purchased the Maytag Bravos 750 washer / 850 dryer. Was leaning toward the F&P but did not want white, and the 3 models I looked at a different stores all had issues with the lid. It would rub at the back, not enough gap, and click each time I opened and closed. Just annoyed me. So far, have done 7 light loads in 2 days. Did get some powder on the items when removing (hand wash and whites cycle) today. Otherwise, love how quiet they are. This is compared to a 16 year old Speed Queen set.