Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 150 degrees too hot for elastics?

Posted by stbonner (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 7:05

I've got to say, after reading the recent threads on water temperature I realize that I'm lucky to have the option of a hot wash. I have a Bosch Nexxt 500, and I'm trying to decide whether to use regular/cotton/hot at 125 degrees or regular/cotton/temp boost at 150 degrees for washing my whites. My white loads include fitted sheets and socks and underwear, so I don't want to fry my elastics, but I also want to keep things as white as possible. Is 150 degrees too much for regular weekly washing of elastics, or should I save that for non-elastics and extra-dirty items?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 150 degrees too hot for elastics?

I wash all my whites including underwear and socks in the sanitary wash cycle. Have also washed towels and sheets in sanitary during flu season. No problems with any elastic. I have white socks that are over 3 years old and the elastic is fine.
It's chlorine that damages the rubber in elastic things.

o

Real rubber elastic may do fine in hot temps but anything with Lycra or other synthetic stretchy stuff won't last long.

o

Thanks, y'all. That's exactly what I needed to know. It sounds like socks and underwear are probably fine in the higher temps, but sports bras are a no-go.

o

Don't forget to consider dryer temps, also. Dryers can get even hotter than this depending upon cycle chosen.

o

Watch out for synthetic blends in socks. I use sanitize with Oxyclean to really get whites white. The water gets hotter and it takes so long that the Oxyclean does its job.

o

It's true about dryers getting hotter. More damage to clothes come from the dryer and not the washer. Hot water doesn't really shrink clothes but a hot dryer will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here