Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dubluv

whirlpool stopped filling water for wash cycle

dubluv
13 years ago

yesterday our whirlpool washer had stopped with water filled in the tub. we moved the dial to the spin cycle and the tub pumped out fine. however, when we tried to start the wash cycle again, nothing happened except i did hear a faint buzzing behind the control panel. i figured it was toast, and either needed a repair or replacement. its maybe 10 years old (came with house).

THIS MORNING I TRIED IT AGAIN, AND IT WORKS!!! what is up with that? i'm guessing a part is failing, but which one? i'm reluctant to call for service due to the age of the washer, but am willing to tackle any repairs or tests myself. any ideas?

Comments (6)

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Please specify what is the model number. "Whirlpool washer" covers a range of machines with different mechanical designs. Attempting to diagnose a problem from afar can be tricky and doing so without knowing the model involved is even more of a guessing game.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Buzzing sound makes me suspect fill-solenoid defect. ( However, I doubt the fill-solenoid is behind the control panel. Can you pin-point the source?) Solenoids of many types are somewhat famous for sticking....by which I mean that sometimes they bind and won't move, then the next time they operate as if nothing's wrong. Of course such intermittent problems are every diagnostician's curse.

• dubluv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

model taws700eq2. i searched for washer troubleshooting, and it might be the fill valve. it just might be failing, but unless it does it again, i won't know for sure. could it be anything else? thanx

• asolo
    13 years ago

Welcome to the club. Now you know what I meant by "curse". Everything's fine until it isn't......then we're supposed to find the bugger even though it only happens once in a while. My sympathy to you sir or madame.

All I can get a handle on is the buzz you described. If I was there and heard it, I could tell you instantly whether it's the solenoid or not -- which I still suspect it is....or was. Also wouldn't surprise me if it never does it again. They do that, too!

• dadoes
    13 years ago

This is a typical Whirlpool (Estate) direct-drive toploader. You'll need to provide more information regarding the problem.

You say the machine "stopped with water filled in the tub." Does that mean you started a cycle, it filled to the proper level and agitated as usual for a period of time, and it stopped at end of the wash phase when the drain period would normally begin? Or, it stopped during the wash period before the selected wash time had fully elapsed?

Or, you started a cycle, it filled partially and stopped filling before the proper level was reached?

The water valve is not inside the control console, it's located lower on the rear panel, where the water supply hoses connect.

• dubluv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my wife says she really doesn't know when it stopped. i know the fill valve is located behind the water connections, as i checked out a schematic of the washer. the buzzing was very low, and as Asolo said, it might never happen again. i guess we may as well jsut keep using it and see if it happens again. what do i have to lose?