Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hailefinn

Help...Should I cancell Kenmore washer and dryer order?

hailefinn
16 years ago

On Saturday 9/15 after some research (also read June CR article on how poorly new TLs clean) I ordered:

White-on-white TL Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. King Size Capacity Washer Sears # 27841 and

White-on white Kenmore 7.5 cu. ft. King Sized Capacity Electric Dryer. Sears # 2667761 Both are made by Whirlpool.

Now I am 2nd guessing myself--just not confidant with my choices--should I cancell this order and start over---perhaps look at FLs? My 10 year old GE washer has been leaking oil since October but still runs rather noisy though. My about 36 year old avocado green Kenmore dryer still drys fine but I thought I would go ahead and replace it.

I welcome all comments if these models are any good. I thought about should I keep my present dryer and put more money into a better washing machine--either a better TL or switch to a FL. What do you suggest? There is only 3 of us at home but we do have some dirty clothes from garden / mowing work living in the country.

What machines do you suggest? What do you suggest I do?

Comments (41)

• cdysthe
    16 years ago

As a European living in the US I never understood the TL concept. I could never get it to wash as good as the FLs I was used to. The last few years the FLs have slowly penetrated the US market, and in my option, it's about time! I would absolutely consider moving to a FL. Take a look at Consumer Reports: Over half of the tested FLs score above the best TLs. This simply can't be a coincidental. Sit down in front of a FL and see what happens to the clothes in there, and then look in a TL. To me it's obvious that the The main problem with European FLs has been capacity, but that's now taken care of over here with the 3.5 - 4.0 cu FLs.

I just purchased a Kenmore HE5t, a beautiful mix of American technology and German engineering (it's made in Germany). I have never owned anything laundry wise that comes even close to this unit. We'll see what I'll say in 3 years when one of the three "$300 to replace circuit boards" are blows out one by one. Until then I'm covered since I signed up for the extended warranty.

I would reconsider if I were you, but then again, I have FLs in my blood! :)

• premier
    16 years ago

35 year old dryer!!! Incredible.

I would not invest one penny into your TL.

I personally would not purchase any TL. I had the top of the line Whirlpool TLs for years and always thought I would only purchase Whirlpool. My last one clearly was not of the quality of the one I had before then. The motor was replaced three times. Each year the quality gets worse to keep the price down.

Once you get a FL you would never go back to a TL. A TL can not compare to the cleaning ability of a FL. That is a known fact. You can't realize what a difference it is until you do your own laundry in a FL.

If I were you I would cancel the order and research FLs. I always thought when I did purchase a FL it would be a Whirlpool but when the time came and I did all the research LG came out on top and that was what I got and its great.

• looser
    16 years ago

hailefinn,
    if you are not totally opposed to new technologies, I would cancel the order and get a FL or (if you really want a TL) an HE TL.
    IMO, even the older TLs that came out before the stricter EPA rules never washed as good as a good FL with internal heater and all. Now, that the rules for energy and water efficiency get stricter, I don't think the traditional TL technology will survive much longer. The HE TLs are better, but still use about twice as much water as most FLs. In addition to that, they normally don't have the ability to heat the water to reach or maintain a temperature above 115 degrees or so.
    Is your laundry room big enough for a large capacity FL (they are deeper than TLs) and is the floor sturdy enough? If so, I don't see any reason not to switch to a FL. If space is a problem, I'd seriously consider a smaller, maybe European size, FL. The usable capacity of a 3.2 cuft TL is not much higher.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your replys. I just woke up since I was up so late worrying about my order.

Yes, a real old Kenmore dryer--got it when 2nd daughter was born.

Our utility room floor is on bottom floor with porcelain tile over a concrete slab--so ok for a FL. My husband agreed that we should rethink the washer decision. I hate to cancell order because the saleman lives in our neighborhood and is kinda a friend. Will be back here later.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I would not replace your dryer until it stops working, they don't make dryers like that anymore! Wouldn't it be great if you could go buy a new appliance today and have it still working in 2042! Not going to happen. I replaced my old Kenmore (11 years old) in March, I have a Cabrio HE now that I love. I tried a FLer but my first floor laundry room could not handle it (and my skin allergies could not handle the detergent residue). I still have my Kenmore dryer, I will replace it when it stops working. I do plan to keep an eye on what dryers are available so I know what I want when it stops working. That way I can run to Lowes, order one, and probably have it installed the next day.

• naplis
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I wish I could start over again. I just retired my 20 year old Kenmore TL washer and 10y/o Maytag dryer. I bought the Kenmore Elite HE5t 4.0 cu. ft.King Size Capacity Plus Front Load Washer and matching dryer. I loved the way the washer cleaned! It washed hey-uge items effortlessly and I noticed that my whites were a bit brighter, even without bleach. I considered the dryer unremarkable...until my experience with the BOSCH Nexxt 500. I returned the Sears set because my units were in a closet with bifold doors which blocked the pull-out detergent dispenser. I got the Bosch set because the soap dispenser opens from the top, not the front. I've had the Bosch set for two weeks now and I hate them! There's no overriding the auto water level and I have routinely had items come out of the cycle with stains intact. Stains left behind were not an issue with my 20 y/o TL. Also, the dryer infuriates me. It rolls sheets into tight little packages of wrinkled, damp knots. I've tried fluffing and rearranging the sheets mid-cycle to no avail. I cannot wash (much less dry) a complete set of king size sheets. I have been waiting 20 years to get a king-size capacity FLer that can handle a king size comforter! Not with these machines. I want the Kenmore Elite's back! (See other forums/posts about sheets balling up in Bosch dryer). I hope you make a choice that doesn't disappoint. Thought maybe my experience would help save some else from frustration. Good Luck.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

naplis, I'm a bit confused. The HE5t has automatic water level, as do all front loaders, yes? Why is being unable to override it a problem with the Bosch, but not with the HE5t?

It's not required to have a matched washer/dryer pair. If you don't like the Bosch dryer, get the Kenmore dryer back. Or try a Fisher & Paykel topload dryer. It has reverse tumble to help prevent sheets, blankets, etc. from balling-up.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah!! I cancelled the order. I wanted to do it before the order got too far along. Saleman/neighbor was so nice--no problem he said--glad he was on duty today otherwise I would have called him at home. I've always had very nice sales people and service techs from Sears.

Yes,I hated when my 25 year old Kenmore washer began breaking off rusted metal into the wash water. When I bought the GE I sold the Kenmore for $100.00 to a guy that knew how good this model was---he bought it to use for parts to keep his Kenmore going. He arrived while I was washing a load of clothes so he knew it still worked.

I do not have to have a matching set---I never have---even tho guests pass thru the utility room to the closest bathroom.

Now the hard work begins---to gather info on the FLs and better TLs. I need to know the NEGATIVES of having a FL besides price if any of you can tell me. I really appreciate all of your replys.

Extended warrenties. Are they more necessary with these new W/D? I will pay with my Mastercard credit card since the card will extend the same manufactors warrenties for 1 year. If I bought the extended warrenty I'm not sure how/when the credit card warrenty works or kicks in.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

If you buy somewhere where the extended warranty is reasonable (like Lowes, Home Depot, or Best Buy...NOT SEARS) you should definitely get the extended warranty. At about 10% to 15% of the cost the warranty is worth the peace of mind it will give you... plus there is a good chance your new machine will not develop problems until 5 years (or 4 years) and 1 day when the warranty is over :-)

Consider placement when deciding on the type of machine (basement with concrete, first floor on a slab, first floor over basement, second floor...), Flers can cause more vibrations in situations where the floor is not solid. It is very hard to tell whether you will have a problem before the machine is installed and running. I had a friend who is a contractor check my floor before installing, then help with leveling, and I still had a lot of vibration with the FLer. Apparently my floor is "flexible", seems very sturdy if you walk or even jump on it. Make sure the place you purchase your machine will allow you to return and exchange the machine if you are not happy with it, and without a restocking fee.

I personally did not think the FLer did any better cleaning than my 11 Kenmore TLer did, and it did not rinse as well... I had to do triple rinses to remove detergent residue (I had a Bosch, and I have skin problems). I now have the Cabrio HE which I love, it washes great (although I would not say a lot better than my old Kenmore, but it always washed really well), rinses better than any machine I have ever used (I don't even have to do double rinses loads I had been double rinsing for years), and does not cause vibration problems even at high speed (1,000 rpm). And cloths dry so much fast even though I am still using my old dryer.

• looser
    16 years ago

At Sears, the extended warranty or service plan is very expensive. I'd probably skip it and pay with a Mastercard as you intend to do. Some people feel that you can get better and faster service anyway without an extended warranty. If you want you can put the money you save into a savings account to pay for future repairs if you need them. Despite a lot of complaints on these forums, most people probably never need the extended warranty.

The price difference between HE TLs and FLs is not that big. The main advantage of FLs is the internal heater. You can do truely hot washes and skip the use of chlorine bleach for sanitizing purposes. A lot of stains including grease can be removed much easier in hot water.

The main disadvantage is the longer cycle time. Since the wash action is much gentler in a FL, it needs more time to get good cleaning results. An average cycle takes approximately one hour, but with higher temperatures and additional options it can exceed two hours.
    Another possible disadvantage is the way you have to load a FL. Some people can't or don't want to bend to load and unload a washer. If you have a FL dryer, I think it is kind of convenient to have a FL washer as well, but some folks disagree.
    The rinsing performance of a FL is usually good, but it may leave some solid debris (hair, sand) in folds of clothes. This normally comes off in the dryer without a problem.

Most people who have switched to a FL (or who grew up with a FL) would never buy a TL again. The HE TLs are a decent alternative, but they don't have a heater and use about twice as much water. You'll have to decide which washer better meets your needs and expectations.
    Good luck!

• mcubed
    16 years ago

hailefinn - I just recently purchased my first FL and I will outline the pros/cons as I see them for you. I wasn't planning on replacing my stacked Maytag set, but am so glad I did! I love, love my new set of Whirlpool Duets. After a lot of reserach and figuring out which ones I wanted, I purchased them online from AJ Madison (free shipping, no tax, great price + rebate and extremely reasonable extended warranty cost for 5 years):

Cons :
    1) Kinda had to relearn new laundry techniques + try new detergents until I found ones that I was happy with
    2) Having to leave open the washer door and wipe out gasket each time I am finished to dry it out to keep from getting mildew/musty smells.
    3) I already had to use the warranty for the dryer door because it was hard to shut and was popping open during the cycle + there was a vibrating noise. BUT, I called AJ Madison and they sent someone out to fix it, no problem. Seems the doors easily get put off-kilter in the shipping process. Works like a charm now.

Pros :
    1) I do WAY less laundry now. It's great! The washer holds so much more! I have about 1/2 the loads I used to.
    2) My clothes are much cleaner. My DD's white socks that were pretty grey on the bottom from running around w/out shoes look awesome and presentable now.
    3) I only have tiny little bottles/boxes of various detergents to store instead of that GIANT jug from the warehouse store to lug.
    4) I haven't gotten my water bill, but I am looking forward to a marked drop in that bill, as well.
    5) This washer/dryer is a lot quieter.

I hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!

• crooks101
    16 years ago

In 2007, TL are poor washers and HE TL have too much problems- per CR. FL designs just make sense from a wash actions, built-in heater for small amount of water used.

I got the Kenmore HE5t as a replacement from the large Miele W48xx. It is a 2nd floor installation. It washes great, almost never any vibration noise and never any house shaking like the Miele. With the discounts, you can get it for around $1000 or less.

• mayguy
    16 years ago

I love my FL, I'd never go back to a TL.. I am not sold on the HE TL.... Just can't see how the bulky clothes are going to get washed, where the front loader, the clothes are tumbled back and forth.

I did get a price from Sears when I was shopping, the warranity is indeed a rip off.. I don't recall off hand I think it was around $200, to $250 for 5 year.. I also learned that the 5 years starts on day one!

I got my GE from Home Depot instead, had 10% off, plus $100 rebate at the time, and the extended warranity for $90 for 4 years.. Theirs starts after the one year from GE ends.

Be sure you use the HE soap, otherwise, if you don't.. YOu'll have suds, and poor rinse issue as some has already said they have/had with FL.

No matter what brand of FL you get do get the extended warranity.. These machine are bit more complex than the old standard TL washer.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I decided to keep my dryer till it dies. From your replies and reading this site I have learned some about FL.

FLers will be ok on my concret slab but I will have to purchase the box to make it higher (another expense).

Concerning FLer

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've learned about mildew, get a good surge protector, lint will have to be removed in the dryer, lint could clog some drains, oil stains should be treated before tossing into FL, cycles run longer, use HE detergents, use Cascade Complete every so often to clean out Bio film and buy the extended warrenty because

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

...warrenty because the circuit boards are expensive.

I know some of you say Sears warrenties are more expensive but where I live I have had good service and treatment from Sears so I am leary of dealing with Lowes. I had run ins with Home Depot 4 years ago when they were redoing our kitchen after our house fire so I know their service isn't good. I think the Sears guy told me if boards go out due to lightening the 1 year manufactor's warrenty doesn't cover that but the extended warrenty does cover lightening damage. Does anyone know if home owners insurance would cover lightening damage?

And then washdryman says 10 years is tops on today's washers and 5 years is best no matter what price you pay (I think this is what he wrote). Having owned a 25 year Washer and a 35 year Dryer (Kenmore) I am spoiled. He says find a reasonably priced and easy to fix washer. That makes sense to me. He (and a retired Sears appliance saleman at my church) said to get a Whirlpool direct drive.

For the price of a FL, box to set it on and the 3-5 year extended warrenty looks as if that would equal the same as 2 regular type TLers. That makes me think I should look at TLers again. Too many decisions to make. All I wanted to get was just a real dependable washer--one that would last. From reading here and Consumers Report washing machines just aren't made to last today. My husband doesn't understand why it is taking me so long to make a decision

• looser
    16 years ago

I wouldn't go with a traditional TL for several reasons. Yes, you may be able to purchase two washers for the price of one FL, but the washing preformance will not be nearly as good and it will waste a lot of water and energy. The life expectancy of most TLs won't be better either and I truely believe that the agitator style TLs will soon disappear from the market. If your first TL would last 5 years, you may not be able to buy another one...or their performance would be even worse that the TLs available now.

We still have our 5-year-old Hotpoint TL and even though it isn't even close to meeting the new EPA standards, it does a poor job at cleaning things. I can't wait to replace it with a FL.

BTW, why do you think it is essential to get a pedestal for the FL? Many people have them directly on the floor and don't find it too inconvenient. We are planning to buy the Bosch Nexxt w/d set without pedestals and put a little counter top over them for sorting and folding. In Europe, most people don't have their washers on pedestals and those are the smaller FLs.

• looser
    16 years ago

Just an additional remark regarding the price comparison.
    Some people calculate the point of time when the FL will have paid for itself in energy and water savings (something that depends a lot on your usage and utility costs). But it's often overlooked that they don't get a TL for free either, so you really just have to make up for the price difference.
    Within five or six years of average usage it is very possible to save enough on utility bills to make up for the price difference between a FL and a decent TL. You'll also save on detergent and liquid chlorine bleach if you use that now.
    And, don't forget that you will have better cleaning results. IMO it is very frustrating to see the huge amounts of water our TL uses and then still having problems getting socks clean or getting a musty smell out of dish rags etc.
    And if you don't end up with a lemon or error prone model, I would not really expect a FL to break down within five years. The first Maytag Neptune was known to have lots of problems and there are still a few people on this forum who report trouble free use for six years or so. I wouldn't worry too much about the life expectancy.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

hailefinn
    I would like to scratch off one of the cons you had listed and that is that you need to pretreat stains in order to get them clean in a FL. That would mean that TL's clean better if you did not have to the same thing w/them...who in the world has time to pre-treat everything before they wash it?!
    My brother-in-law used to stuff his washer (Duet) to where the clothes would just spin w/the drum!? He was complaining that his clothes still had the ketchup, mustard etc. stains on them?! (duh) You have to allow the washer to do it's job and that is for the clothes to be able to crash (tumble) upon other items in the drum and the only way this can happen is if there is enough room left in the washer for this to happen. Those that are doing a lot of pre-treating may need to look at how much clothes are going into the machine, what kind of detergent is being used and how much or little.
    BTW w/proper training now my brother-in-law absolutely loves his Duets/FL technology!

• iasheff
    16 years ago

We found that the savings in utility costs alone were enough to make the FL our choice. Our water and sewer costs are outrageous. Going from 45 gals a load to 15 gals a load and doing 1/2 as much laundry (due to the larger load size) was a BIG selling point. I do a LOT of laundry. Way way way more than the average family-- we have a large family plus I do home day care.

We have had our FL for over 5 years and have had only one problem... we had to replace the drain pump but that was through no fault of the washer-- a pocketful of BBs were washed (dang kids!!). My husband usually does all our appliance repairs himself and he claims the front loader is the easiest appliance he has had to work on!

The cleaning ablility of the FL is awesome. The clothes stay looking new much longer. I can especially tell when we go to school functions and kids are all wearing school t-shirts that were purchased at the same time (like for football season, etc) and my kids shirts look like new compared to a lot of the other kids shirts and I know my kids wear and wash their shirts just as often.

Our family rides ATVs and I have even had other people ask me how I keep the kids riding clothes looking like new week after week when going through the mud and yuck that they do on a regular basis.

The savings in detergent is remarkable too. I now use Sears detergent-- a huge bucket was $20 and will last forever. It states for 275 loads but since I don't use nearly as much as stated on the package, it will last more than that. Sure a whole lot cheaper than buying $10 bottles at Walmart that lasted a week or two!

We have had a little bit of vibration problem. We have a huge old house and the laundry is on the main floor. All the floors are hardwood. We had to put a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit exactly under the washer and dryer and that seemed to alleviate most, if not all, the vibrations. It depends on what is being washed-- sometimes a "heavy" load will shake a bit.

I know that I, for one, would never be able to go back to doing laundry in a TL on a regular basis!!

• washer_man
    16 years ago

Actually, it's not entirely true that HE FL's have water heaters and HE TL's don't. The GE harmony has a heater, although it is true that Whirlpool Cabrio and F&P Aquasmart do not.

The only real difference between HE FL's & HE TL's is in the amount of water that has to be heated. FL's typically use less water than HE TL's, so they can heat the little water that they do use faster than an equivalent HE TL with a heater, and this is a good thing because the less water a washer uses, the faster the water cools down, or in other words, FL's without heaters may use hot water from a hot water tap, but without a heater to maintain the hot temperature, it doesn't stay hot for long.

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

hailefinn~ I have to agree w/ looser, why is the pedastal a must? I know/think you mentioned your back, but isn't your dryer a FL? So, you're bending for that... Just curious. Also, is your husband or possibly a son or a friend good @ building stuff? I refuse to pay $200 for a box, so if I ever decide I need a pedastal, I'm going to have my fiance build me something.

Also, about the extended warrenty: I just recently purchased a Maytag Epic pair @ Sears & I purchased the extended warrenty. But, now I'm starting to 2nd guess my decision on that. The salesman told me that if I didn't make a "claim" within a year that I could call the company and be refunded, but I need to call & see about this, so that was a deciding factor. They are very expensive though, I wish I had known that Home Depot/Lowe's was that much cheaper! Another thing is that when I purchased this set I told the salesman that I would be moving soon and wanted to leave the set @ the store until I moved, he said that was fine, they can store them for 12 months; anyway, the extended warrenty started *that day*! I haven't even gotten to use this machine yet & the warrenty is already running out. I do think they need to change this to where it starts *after* the original man. warrenty runs out. So, this is the conclusion I've come to: I think I'm going to call and get my $ refunded (for the extended warrenties) and then take it & put it in savings account, I figure this way, we have the $ to pay for anything that hopefully doesn't happen (LOL), plus, while it's in the savings acct. it'll be drawing interest & *making* me money! :) So, maybe you should consider this if you do decide to go w/ Sears. If using your credit card is the issue, call the company and they'll either deposit $ directly into a checking/savings acct. or they can send you cash advance checks & you can just write it to yourself & then put it into an acct. Just something to chew on.

Also, like I said before, I haven't gotten to use my machines yet, but from all of the research I've done, I've learned they are the way to go. So, I can't give you any advice on which one to pick, the only thing I can say is be informed and don't let the salesman trick you into anything, and possibly wait for a clearance sale.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

looser---we live in the country (have our own well)so we don't have a water bill--but do pay electricty to pump the water. I do hope what ever I buy lasts more than 5 years.

looser and mc hudd----Ok. You've made me see I don't need a pedestal---for some reason I thought the FL was lower than my dryer door. Yep, my DH could built a box for it in his workshop. (I've been trying to get him to build two burial coffins for us and not to worry how tight they are since coffins go into a sealed concrete container. Ha!Ha!)

luvmylg--I read (not sure where)it was best to treat an oil stain before putting in FL-- it had something to do with the HE detergent. Not clear on that.

lasheff--glad that you have a great washer--riding those ATVs thru mud certainly dirties the clothes. Does your family race ATVs? We have 2--DH has 2 knee implants so he uses his for work transportation on the farm--I ride mine just for pleasure.

mc hudd---in 2003 Sears held our appliances until the kitchen was ready. I did't know the warrenty started the day you paid. I am going to ask my salesman about that. I know when we first built the house the appliances were installed before the house electricity was turned on. (during construction we just had electricity for workers from a temporary pole) When the oven stopped working the store said it was out of warrenty--I said we hadn't used it a year yet. The store acknowledged the electric bill showing the turn on date and fixed the oven.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

We mainly ride for pleasure. Mostly trail or sand dunes. We have 6 ATVs. It is great fun for the family. Something we all do together! It does make for a lot of dirty laundry though!!

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

hailefinn~ Thanks for the info. on the warrenty... I'll have to keep all of my receipts, etc. to prove when we started using them. I'm also going to try to get Sears to give me something saying when I picked it up (not sure if that'll happen). Anyway, good luck w/ your decision! :)

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mc hudd----the warrenty/oven/proof of electicity turn on deal was when we first built our home and our appliances came from a locally owned store--not from Sears. It was in 2003 after a fire that Sears held our appliances until the kitchen was ready.
    When Sears delivers your appliances they should give you some paper stateing that delayed delivery date. I will still ask when I go back to Sears to see what this store says.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I have the GE Harmony, an HE TL, and I wouldn't trade it for the top of the top-of-the-line FL. It's a great machine, holds tons of clothes, and in my opinion, doesn't have a lot of the problems owners of FL's complain about in this forum. A standard, lower priced TL might not do as well as a FL but don't overlook the HE TL's.

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

speaking of power, you should find that your dryer runs less. This is because the FL washer will extract more water from the cloths when it spins since it spins alot faster. This is what I noticed with my LG set after saying goodbye to an old builder-grade WP. What used to take 1-hour on high takes 30 minutes on medium, or less.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I still haven't made up my mind--my DH and daughters are mad--they don't understand why it is taking me so long. I am in the process of setting all the models I'm considering in front of them and here to get your advice. Be back later.

mc hudd---Sears guy said warrenty starts when they hook up your appliance not when you paid for it and they held it for you.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok. After looking at the FL with heaters I have gone back to the TL. Very basic hopefully they will be worry free. What do you think of these--both TL:
    Kenmore 3.2 King Size Capacity Washer #27831 for $499.88 or Speed Queen 3.3 (one of three models--all about the same except more cycles) $570 to $650? Two places (one was my Sears guy)told me I couldn't find, or it was hard to find, Speed Queen anymore.

Please let me know what you think of these 2 machines today since my family will be so happy when I finally decide.

Washerman---I hope you see this. Which model did you get? I like the 3 year parts & labor warrenty on SQ. This is from an independant dealer who does their own servicing and where we bought our GE in 1992 (they still had our perchase record).

• premier
    16 years ago

What made you decide to go back to a TL? That is a lot of money for a TL. The tub sizes may be considered super capacity for a TL, but are small compared to a FL. I don't know where you can get Speed Queen.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

premier--I switched back to TL because Speed Queen was my 1st choice because of their realiability / warrenty /no computer boards and the 3.3 tub is bigger than what I have now.
    I was misled by 2 salesmen that you couldn't buy SQ now. On SQ web site I checked who did service on SQ that people already had--well the independant store I bought my GE from was listed as a SQ repair place.

Then when I called them to find out the size my old GE (he said was about 2.5). Next I mentioned them serviceing SQs, he said yes and we still sell them. I didn't understand this--their new store gave me different info.
    This family had 1 store in 1992--then opened a 2nd store together---last week when I talked to the guy at the new store, he said there were no more SQs--I belived him and saw no need to check with their orginal store--I didn't know the family had split the stores.

The original store is the one that still sells and services SQueen. Today I'm still debateing between the 2 TL unless someone changes my mind again.

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

hailefinn~ Thanks for the info. on the warrenty... I am going to make the Sears I bought my w/d from honor that. I thought it was kind of a rip off, but hadn't checked into it yet. Thanks again & good luck w/ whatever you decide to get!

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK. My washer is coming tomorrow.

No bells and whistles--just a standard ole Top Loader. SPEED QUEEN #AWS44NW--3.3 cu.ft. stainless steel tub--8 cycles--3 water temp. ect.

washerman8--I wanted the model you have but it took too long for them to get it. If I need a 2nd rinse I'll just wash with no soap.

Here is info on this model. Maybe by the time this machine dies the FLers will be more worry free.

Appearance
    Color: White
    Rear Controls
    Flexvane Agitator
    Galvanized Metal Washer Cabinet
    3.3 cu.ft. Stainless Steel Washtub
    Triple Coat Commercial-Grade Cabinet Finish

Performance/Features
    210° Agitation Stroke
    3 Water Temperature Selections
    8 Cycle Selections
    2 Speed
    Automatic Balancing System
    Rear Self-Leveling Legs
    Porcelain Coated, Steel Outer Draintub
    Tuff Guard Protected Top
    Bleach Dispenser
    Fabric Softener Dispenser
    Commercial Strength Suspension Sys
    Hush Pak

Appearance

3 Water Temperature Selections
    8 Cycle Selections
    2 Speed
    Automatic Balancing System
    Rear Self-Leveling Legs
    Porcelain Coated, Steel Outer Draintub
    Tuff Guard Protected Top
    Bleach Dispenser
    Fabric Softener Dispenser
    Commercial Strength Suspension System
    Hush Pak

Cycles
    Regular:
    Heavy
    Normal
    Light
    Permanent Press:
    Normal
    Light
    HandWash/Delicate:
    Normal
    Light
    Soak/Prewash

Technical Information
    Tub Volume: 3.3 cu. ft.
    Average Water Consumption 39.1

Overall Dimensions: 43"H x 25 5/8"W x 28"D
    Cabinet Height: 36"

Motor Horsepower: 1/2
    Spin Speeds (RPM):

Warranty
    Speed Queen brings to you the industry's best warranty on all of our washers and dryers.
    3-year warranty on parts and labor
    5 year limited warranty on the motor
    5 year limited warranty on the cabinet
    10 year limited warranty on transmission
    Lifetime warranty on all stainless steel washtubs and outer draintubs

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well after looking at the TL Speed Queens again I called an order in to the local dealer for the AWS51NW same model washerman8 has--they didn't have that so I ask for the AWS44NW---same features but no extra rinse button and a couple less cycle choices. Cost $599.00/.0625% tax /$58.00 delivery charge/free old unit removal. Delivery was to be the next day.

At 6AM the next morning I left a message to change the order to AWS76NW--the most expensive TL---$50.00 more. They called to say that one was in stock also and would be out around 11AM. When the GE was movedwhat an oily mess on the tile---took me 30 minutes to clean this up.

My daughter who is home now had saved alot of clothes to wash. I will say this 3.3 cu ft tub is much bigger than my old GE. The wash cycle is not real quiet but no problem since the machine is not next to the kitchen. What I miss is not being able to watch the clothes swish back and forth--SQ hid the thing-a-ma-gig I used to push while the lid was open. From reading I have learned we need to raise the thermastat on our hot water heater since it is only 102 degrees when it hits the washer.

Speed Queen does not give any technical info to owners. I have been searching the net for a diagram of the insides of these washers. At times I have wished I had closed my ears to all the possible expensive repairs and bought a FL so I can watch.

• washerman8
    16 years ago

hailefin,
    You can watch the wash action. There is a lever located in the back right corner of the wash tub opening that you must press up. You might have to push the tub back a little and you stick your finger(s) and press the lever up and the washer will perform.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Washerman8---thanks for the lever info. The agitator stroke on these machines is suppose to be above 200 degrees and 61 strokes per minute. I might try to count those strokes.

• washerman8
    16 years ago

The wash action is superb. My clothes always come out clean. Much cleaner than when I had the Kenmore Oasis and the Kenmore HT frontloader.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have not being able to judge if my clothes are cleaner--I will when I wash just a load of whites. I do know it is bigger. I put my king size down comforter in and it was alittle above the water level--I tried to push the air out of it (as the directions say when washing pillows). The comforter wasn't visually dirty so that was no test for a cleaner wash. At the end the comforter had no air but fluffed up in the dryer--next time I will try harder to get the air out in the washer.

Haven't tried to find that little lever yet.

• hailefinn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

washerman8---Thanks--I found the lever! Now tell me where I can access a manuel with diagrams of Speed Queens.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

We're all waiting to hear all your reports. At least I am. My old washer is about to die and now I'll look for SQ. Can't believe it has a metal inner and outer tub. (Metal = no nasty odor absorption like with a plastic tub.) That's almost impossible to find except in some Euros that as I recall didn't have good repair records last time I checked.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company