Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_hazel_gw

Wood counter in laundry room?

ms.hazel
13 years ago

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone has a wood counter in their laundry room and if so, how it's held up to regular use, chemicals, water, etc. We have a windowless laundry room that I'd like to warm up, and I thought an inexpensive IKEA butcher block counter might be a good idea. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (3)

• housefairy
    13 years ago

The only thing with butcher block is don't you have to put linseed oil(?) on it to keep the wood looking good and to keep it from cracking? I would wonder if that would possibly leave stains on your clothing if you use it as a folding area. However, you might be able to treat it with something that would be more of a sealant. A good paint store might be the answer to that question. You also might want to post on the kitchen forum to ask what the upkeep is involved in butcherblock.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I have a maple butcher block island top in my kitchen and based on how that has weathered I would not put one in my laundry room. Mine is not sealed though ... if you were going to try it - I would definitely seal it with a varathane (or something).

• ms.hazel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts. I would probably seal it with Waterlox (read about it in the Kitchens forum) and not an oil. I'm not quite sure if this finish would be impervious to bleach drops and other cleaning chemicals I would keep in the laundry room/mudroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterlox

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths