Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

GE Toploader with Smart Dispense?

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Does anyone have a GE Top loader with Smart Dispense (where you put the whole bottle of laundry detergent into the machine and it doles it out each time depending on your size of wash, etc.)? If so, what are the pros and cons. Does the dispenser get all gunky?

We currently have a nice looking GE front loader and matching dryer. I leave the door open so it doesn't get too moldy and it's in our basement. When we move to the new house, the laundry room will be on the bedroom floor level. I have two 3 year olds so I might have to put some sort of safety lock on the door to the laundry room. I was thinking a top loader might be safer, too and then maybe we wouldn't have to lock the door.

While I like the look of the front loaders better, I wonder if the clothes will get cleaner in the top loader and if the dispenser function is worth the tradeoffs. Please advise

Is there another GE model that you'd recommend? I want something that can accommodate a king sized thin quilt. Steam is nice but not necessary. I would like a Sanitize or Allergen killer feature and delay start. It would be nice if the washer adjusted the water based on the size of the load

Trying to figure this out in time for the 10% Labor Day weekend sale

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• georgect
    10 years ago

My two cents.

You're better off with a front loader.

If your into GE products look into the new "Right Height" line.
    They have a small pedestal built in so you don't have to bend as much to get into the machine.
    And they are made here in America (past/other models were not made here and quality was awful).

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks George! Are you saying we are better with a front loader purely because of the Right Height? Or are there other attributes besides the height that make them better and if so, what are they?

• maries1120
    10 years ago

We bought the GE RIGHTHEIGHT and you can see my initial and follow-up comments in the thread I started. With our laundry area set up a top loader would work better. I read very mixed reviews on cleaning performance and comments regarding damage to laundry. Our sales guy said he gets more negative feedback from people that buy the top loader HE machines. But then I have read posts from people that love them. Some are so deep now it's hard to reach the bottom of the drum. If I feel more confident in the future that they perfected that technology, we might look at those when we need one in the future. Hopefully that is a long way off.

• JoeNY7
    10 years ago

1. My LG WT 1201CW (for it's very few failures like not having some desirable cycles, like Perm Press), cleans VERY well. In fact I don't see why it's called a HE. It uses a lot of water!

2) GE appliances were not known for quality in the past but I think they have recovered, and if I had more room (it's a wider machine), I definitely would have bought their top of the line model. (I like the concept of SmartDispense :) )

• georgect
    10 years ago

Posted by CT_Newbie (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 23:09

Thanks George! Are you saying we are better with a front loader purely because of the Right Height? Or are there other attributes besides the height that make them better and if so, what are they?

Nope, I'm saying a front loader is better in general (not just the Right Height model although that is the model now being made here in America so better quality control).

A front loader just does a better job than any top load HE machine.
    Watch them on Youtube, there is hardly any turnover. The clothes just sit in a tiny puddle of water and get beaten by the impeller at the bottom.
    They are just not as effective as clothes tumbling through water.