Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar leaks from fabric softener compartment

Posted by daviderin7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 22:59

I have a front loader, a couple of years old. I've never used fabric softener in it, but would like to start using a vinegar rinse. Only problem is that it spills into the drum as soon as I put it into the FS compartment, it never even makes it to the final rinse.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Wondering if I can make some sort of vinegar gel? Vinegar ice cube maybe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar leaks from fabric softener compartment

It would help to know what machine you have. It's obviously something in the way your detergent tray is designed. I can't see how vinegar would leak but fabric softener would not? I use vinegar in my Miele W4842 no problem.

o

Some FS dispensers work on a siphon principle. A small amount of softener sits in the dispenser, but when filled to the brim with water a siphon action is initiated through a small tube. This may also happen if you fill the dispenser to the brim with vinegar. My suggestion is not to overfill the dispenser. If you feel that you can't get enough vinegar in there, I would suggest switching to citric acid instead. Just dissolve 1 TBSP of citric acid into a FS-sized shot of vinegar. This should be enough to provide a sour final rinse.

o

Yep...if you fill it to high it can siphon early. With my drawer if you push it in a little to fast it causes it to siphon too soon as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here