Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

first post here - Electrolux yay or nay?

lmgch
9 years ago

we're planning a remodel and moving our laundry to the second floor. met with a saleswoman for kitchen appliances and also asked her about washer/dryer. she didn't suggest options, she went directly to an Electrolux steam washer (EIFLS60JIW) and steam dryer (EIMGD60JIW). she said they are not the top of the line, but she prefers them b/c top of the line has "too many controls."

claims they are quiet, very effective, and low vibration.

i've been so focused on the kitchen that i really haven't done much thinking about the laundry yet.

a quick search here turned up older posts about the electrolux. has anyone else recently purchased these models? if so, do you like them? or would you suggest something else? thanks very much

Comments (12)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I believe that is the model washer and dryer we have. First Electrolux anything for us. It isn't the top of the line but it handles our needs (empty nesters, large dog). Our needs were pretty simple. I was replacing an old top loader and when I began my search, I was surprised to find many washers/dryers front loaders did not handle king size bedding. Being able to handle king size comforters was at the top of the 'must have' list. It has a quick wash/dry, steam was a plus, reasonably priced units, and (very large) pet beds and pet toys wash/dry, put it over the top for us. :-) Ours is located in a small kitchen as a side-by-side encased in cabinetry. It's quiet and cleans well. No noticeable vibration. We've had both units for about 3 yrs, I think, and haven't had any issues.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, mags. we are (I am) heavy users of the laundry machines. we've got two young kids (under five) and two dogs. I do multiple loads every single day.

so i need something super reliable and ready to stand up to heavy use.

i actually don't care if it's top or front loading - whatever works best.

would love to know if these electrolux models seem like our best bet, or if there is something else we should consider.

thanks!

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, mags. we are (I am) heavy users of the laundry machines. we've got two young kids (under five) and two dogs. I do multiple loads every single day.

so i need something super reliable and ready to stand up to heavy use.

i actually don't care if it's top or front loading - whatever works best.

would love to know if these electrolux models seem like our best bet, or if there is something else we should consider.

thanks!

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

YES. We have the "top of the line" Wave Touch/70 Series washer and dryer and they are excellent. SUPER quiet, balanced, very efficient and fun to use. So far, no issues at all. We've had about 6 months now!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Regarding moving laundry to the second floor: if you can avoid stacking, you really should. If you can't avoid stacking, I would keep the laundry where it is now if it isn't stacked already. The idea may sound great, but when (not if!) you have your first service call, you will wish you hadn't stacked.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Hvtech, we won't be stacking. Creating a laundry room.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

I just read that Electrolux bought GE appliance division. I love my GE W/D that I've had for 2+ years. They are stackable. Very dependable, quiet, attractive, cleans well, highly rated. Not top of the line which I didn't want all the bells and whistles I would never use or the largest capacity for just us two with two dogs though. Model number GFWN1100L2WW and GFDN110EL0WW I'm not sure what to think about this development with Electrolux. It will mean many changes to the GE brand, job losses in the US. Why would GE sell it's cash cow?

• georgect
    9 years ago

Are you sure they finally came to a decision?
    I heard they were still in talks.

GE was supposed to bring it appliance lines back to America for manufacturing, to even think about selling seems a little sketchy.

Who knows, maybe it's for the best but it is sad to see a classic like GE Appliances in the hands of someone else (if in fact they did sell out).

I was hopping they could turn themselves around.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

We've had ours for about two weeks. Perhaps early to say whether we're satisfied, but certainly happy so far. See the other recent thread on water left in the bleach/softener compartment, apparently a problem for all modern front loaders.

I more or less agree about preferring the 60 over the 70. We only got the 70 dryer for its Perfect Tumble (reversing tumble) feature, but we got the 60 washer, and it is easier to operate. Not because of fewer options, but because of a better UI. It's like the difference between a timer where you can just enter the numbers versus one where you have to hold the up or down arrows.

As for the sale, according to an article in yesterday's WSJ online, they're still in talks, but the Appliance & Lightening division of GE, albeit profitable, is one of their small units. GE is shifting towards the industrial market, shedding consumer businesses. But also see the article in USA Today, which discusses the impact on consumers. Both can be found by a web search for "GE Electrolux"

• gardeninnj
    9 years ago

I've had the Electrolux 4.4 cu ft steam washer and dryer for more than two years and I love both of them! No issues whatsoever. Your saleslady is right that there are lots of settings and it takes some experimenting to figure out what works best. I had the manual out to the features chart for a couple of weeks. So you should consider the simpler machine because I don't think all of those settings are necessary. But then, they replaced a top loader set with six options! I originally got the pair because nothing could handle a puffy king comforter or dog bed, and these do a fantastic job of both. The machines are very quiet, and fun to look at too. We have them close to our kitchen and can eat dinner while the cycles are running. They barely quiver on the fastest spin cycles. My machines are on a tile floor on an old enclosed porch, so they're not even supported by a full foundation. That's how little they shake! They are also the only ones that allow you to switch the door hinge sides. For super-clean clothes (my teens play sports and use Axe products - ugh), use oxyclean in the pre-wash and set the "add water" option. For the dryer, the fully dry setting is really dry and can shrink things. Set it to almost dry to start with. Also, the newest federal water efficiency requirements are too low for really large washer loads, and whatever washer you pick should provide an optional add water feature during the wash cycle to get stuff clean.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

"Are you sure they finally came to a decision? I heard they were still in talks."

Yes, they are still in talks. The sale has not happened. There is another company "Quirky" that is involved too.

"GE was supposed to bring it appliance lines back to America for manufacturing, to even think about selling seems a little sketchy."

Between now and their previous attempt to sell in 2008, GE DID bring quite a bit of manufacturing back to the US. They stopped rebadging Mexican made Samsung french doors and developed their own built in Louisville, one of which I own and it is great. They created their own full size front load washer design (RightHeight) that they are also building in Louisville. The previous generation was made in China. They completely redesigned their dishwashers and built a new factory in Louisville to make them. They poured lots of money into renovating their cooking factory in LaFayette GA and their Monogram refrigeration factory in Selmer TN. All of these products were in areas where GE was previously considered mediocre, however, the new versions have done well both in testing and user reviews. I'm sure tax credits were a significant reason for doing what they did, but still after all this the news of this sale was a complete surprise to me.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

I'm so sad to hear of this pending sale. I think the GE right height washer/dryer was going to be a winner. I almost bought one myself but decided just to press on awhile with the pair I already have. They're GE and wonderful but I was looking to get a larger capacity washer and pass my smaller stackable set on to family. I hope they won't sell and close the refurbished plants and put more people out of work. These are places that really need the jobs, too.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21