Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrolux or Whirlpool/Maytag for front loader?

Posted by NewEnglandSara (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 21:16

Hi All,

I have been clinging to my old-school top loading machine even though I know it's not energy efficient. It gets our clothes clean, and I have been scared off by the mixed reviews and mold complaints regarding the HE machines. However, my spin cycle is broken, and I just can't continue to wring out our clothes. It is time for a new washer!

We want to buy a front loader, and I don't want to buy an LG or Samsung. At Sears, they recommended the Whirlpool Duet or the Maytag Maxima. The Maxima is a bit cheaper than the Duet (at least this week) and gets the CR top rating. At our local appliance store, they pushed Electrolux for price and features. The Electrolux machines seem like a good deal, but I am less familiar with this brand.

Any tips?

Thanks so much!

Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrolux or Whirlpool/Maytag for front loader?

I would go with Electrolux and your local appliance store (over Sears and anything they have to offer).

Electrolux is said to have a new washer coming out later this year.
So your appliance store may need to clear out inventory and offer you a good deal.

Electrolux has been around for like ever, just not here in the USA. They do have a good track record with their washers/dryers.

o
RE: Electrolux or Whirlpool/Maytag for front loader?

I looked at the Maxima and Electrolux but we went with the GE RightHeight because it fit our space. I liked both.
Maxima:
Built in US
Liked the looks
Good CR review
Direct drive

Electrolux:
Good reviews here and on line
Reversible door on washer
Has bearings rather than direct drive. Our salesman said direct drive was better and bearings usually what goes BUT Electrolux does bearings well.

I'm not sure which one I would have gone with if we hadn't gone with the GE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here