Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kai2006

Avanti 12 Lb. Portable Automatic Washer

kai2006
17 years ago

Hello -

Does anyone here any experience with the Avanti 12 Lb. Portable Automatic Washer? (Link: http://urlcutter.com/Avanti )

I've seen this listed for sale at numerous websites, as well as at a local discount appliance store... however, I've only been able to find a grand total of two consumer reviews on epinions. Both reviews are very favorable.

Among its positives:

Meets 2004 energy compliance standards

12 lb capacity

Reasonably priced

Numerous authorized service centers in my area

Among its negatives:

Electronic controls (one more thing to break)

Very little consumer feedback

Then there's a feature that I'm not sure if it is positive or negative. The Avanti has no agitator, even though it is a top loader. Instead, it has a system where water is somehow jetted and pulsed through the clothes. This would appear closer to the frontloader method of cleaning clothes, although this IS a toploader.

Comments (8)

• applemac
    17 years ago

I should have mine in a couple more days. I'll keep you posted.

• darex
    17 years ago

I had an older version of this unit, the W852 (11 lbs) I think.

I loved it.

It was great and perfect for my needs.

It's actually made by Samsung, and I had ZERO problems with it.

I loved the electronic controls. I find them LESS prone to failure than mechanical ones. I'll take them any day over mechanicals.

It does look like photocopier , and there is this silly "song" it plays at the end of the wash. I chalk it up to its Korean heritage. Perhaps it's the national anthem that's being played?

Samsung washers seems to be getting a bad rap on this forum, but I thought this unit was just wonderful, and without the agitator, it can hold more than the small size would suggest. I was very happy to buy this at the time, over a Haier, once I found out it was actually made by Samsung.

Bottom line: it's cheap, it looks nice, and it works. For an apartment dweller, it means the difference between the laundromat and clean clothes at home.

You can easily unhook it and move it out of the way when not in use. Try that with a larger unit!

David

• kai2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I just placed an order with a local store - they said it should arrive within a day or so.

p.s. I agree about Samsung. I've had the same Samsung DVD player for 6 years now, and never had a single problem with it.

• applemac
    17 years ago

Mine came in this week. It's a really good washing machine for the money. You're gonna like it.

• kai2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd post a brief follow-up. I've had this machine for two weeks now, and I am quite pleased with its performance. I'm finding that I like the electronic panel a lot more than I thought I would.

I am still getting the hang of how much soap to use for a full 12 lb load. I use liquid All Free & Clear (no dyes or perfumes).

As for drying... I am using Polder clothes rack, and that seems to work just fine. The rack holds an entire load. It is a little extra effort to hang the clothes and take it down, but not that much.

• rlopezguerra
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any updates on reliability or the avanti machine?

Thanks!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Checking to see if anyone else has info on Avanti portable washer. My sister is looking at the Danby and Avanti and needs additional info. KAI2006, are you still having success?

Thanks a bunch!!

gng

• washerman8
    16 years ago

I just purchased the Avanti 12lb. portable washer (model W797) and had it delivered today. I did 2 loads and I was very happy with the performance. My only gripe is I wish the spin speed was faster than 700rpms. It would be nice if it was about 900rpms like the Hitachi topload washers.