Posted by rjremodel (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 20:01

Would love your input on both these pairs. Considering:

GE GFWS2600FWW front-loader 4.5 steam washer
GE GFDS260GFWW steam dryer
or
Whirlpool WFW96HEAW front loader 4.3 steam washer
Whirlpool WED96HEAW steam dryer

The GE is less expensive and I like the idea on the washer that it adds the detergent from time to time rather than all at once. GE is made in USA. Don't know about Whirlpool. Know people who are happy with their Whirlpool appliances. Don't know any GE owners.
Also had considered the GE "Right Height" but decided having a counter I could reach for folding (i'm short), which I could have with standard height W/D was more important than the slightly higher doors..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want input on GE vs Whirlpool W/D possibiities

According to most recent Consumer Reports test in May 2013
The Maytag Maxima XL MHW7000AW, $1,150, tops our Ratings of 100-plus washers and is recommended. It was excellent at cleaning our laundry in 45 minutes, using the normal cycle on heavy soil setting. It has a large capacity, offers superb water and energy efficiency, and is relatively quiet. The matching dryer is relatively quiet and also a recommended model. The electric dryer is Maytag Maxima XL MED7000AW, $1,150 and the gas dryer is Maytag Maxima XL MGD7000AG, $1,300.

Maytag is part of the Whirlpool family and the Whirlpool Duet WFW88HEAW, $1,000, front-loader performed nearly as well as the top-rated Maytag. Both washers scored 90 out of 100, but the Maytag was better in our vibration tests. The Whirlpool's price and performance make it a CR Best Buy. The matching dryer is also a top pick. The electric dryer is Whirlpool Duet WED88HEAW, $1,000. The gas version is Whirlpool Duet WGD88HEAW, $1,200.

These are made in Ohio.

Come with a 10 year warranty on motor and basket like the Koreans.

Some Duet are made in Mexico.

The WFW96HEAW model is slightly more expensive and you would think they are also made in Ohio. But you can't find anywhere that will say where they are made. That usually means Mexico.

JD Power has Samsung #1 for front load washers and LG #2 as a whole but those are made in South Korea.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here