Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

Tide Original Powder, changed??!! :(

larsi_gw
9 years ago

I have loved, loved the smell of Tide Original Powder for decades, and have used the he version on and off for well over 10 years. I just bought a new box of the he powder today @ Target...and it smells absolutely nothing like Tide Original scent powder detergent. What the he** is wrong with P & G? Can they not leave anything alone? This new scent is not strong, but not pleasant. It almost smells like old bar soap...and not in a good way (has a tallow like smell). I am super annoyed. P & G utterly destroyed the Original April Fresh Downy smell, and now the Tide detergent.

Comments (40)

• Rault85
    9 years ago

When was the last time you bought Tide Original powder? I bought some about a month ago and didn't notice a different smell, but then again it may have changed in the last month.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

I have heard that P&G is again in the process of making some substantial changes to their laundry product line-up. Constantly shifting the marketing strategy for the various brand-labels involved, and playing with the scents.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

"And telling people if they dont like the new scent to buy the unscented one".

• lee676
    9 years ago

P&G has mucked with the formulations and scents of their detergents umpteen times over the years, sometimes for legal reasons (to reduce or eliminated phosphates) or reduce package size. I just wish they wouldn't label anything "original scent" that isn't original scent. That also goes for Old Spice deoderant, whose "original" or "classic" scent is unrecognizable from what is used to smell like.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My last purchased BIG box of Original Scent Tide "he" powder detergent was about 3 or 4 months ago. It had that amazing, truly Original scent. The one today smells NOTHING like Tide. It is awful, truly Yuck!! So mad at P & G.

I too agree with the Old Spice deodorant thing. The new ones smell nothing like my dad or grandpa used to wear. I actually like the way Old Spice smells, and used to use the deodorant in High School. The new ones all smell like that dreadful AXE body spray. Ick!

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Does your 3-4 month old Tide have the blue specks in it like Tide w/bleach or just the plain white powder?
    The "original" now shows blue specks on the front of the box and says acti-lift.
    I agree-they can't seem to leave things along. From what I have read Cheer may be discontinued along with others.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I don't normally notice scent changes in detergents or softeners, with the exception of Downy April Fresh, even with pregnancy nose I didn't notice anything different about the Tide Powder. Maybe this new scent hasn't made it to my area yet.

sparky, where did you read about Cheer being discontinued? I really hope it isn't! When I saw that Tide Colorguard had the same design on the bottle as Cheer does, I thought that perhaps they may be getting rid of it soon. I stocked up on the 80 load powder when the commissary had it on sale for 6.98!

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Andi: I had read about the Cheer on another site which then lead to Wikipedia saying the same. I called P&G and asked and the lady laughed and said "You know you can't believe anything you read on the computer". She did say that in some areas Cheer is hard to find but that they are not going to stop making it. Then she said the Tide Colorguard is just Tide Total Care with a new name introduced with all the Tide "Plus" liquids out now.

Then just the other day was reading that P&G is planning to drop a lot of their product line (not just detergent) in the future. Mostly things that are not selling well of course but I did read again that Cheer and Era would more than likely be in the products dropped. P&G said they would announce later the products they plan to drop. Hope that Cheer is not one of them-best thing for colors not fading IMO.(powder)

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last box, that I bought 3-4 months ago had the blue specks and said acti-lift. It was not the solid, white one. I went to VONS today, and they must have some old stock....I bought 3 boxes of Tide "he" Original powder with the classic Tide scent. P & G is really beginning to p*ss me off, with their ruining beloved products!!! :(

• fillmoe
    9 years ago

They should reduce the perfume level by about half on all of those products. (in my always humble opinion)

• Rault85
    9 years ago

@sparky:

Thats too bad about Cheer. I guess I'll have to keep buying up the powder whenever I see it. As far as the new Tide Colorguard... I suppose we will stop seeing Total Care soon enough?

• John-A
    9 years ago

Just got off the phone with customer service. Original scent Tide that we have been using for years changed in July. I was told to buy mountain scent if I wanted the original. Is that correct? Meanwhile we have spent over $20 on 2 2.65 ltr bottles of liquid tide and can't stand to wear the clothes washed in it. We've been using Tide for at least 30 years.

• herring_maven
    9 years ago

lee676: "I just wish they wouldn't label anything "original scent" that isn't original scent. That also goes for Old Spice deoderant, whose "original" or "classic" scent is unrecognizable from what is used to smell like."

Q: Is the scent of the reformulated detergent an exact copy of the older scent?

A: Of course not! The new reformulated detergent was given a new scent that we toiled countless hours in our laboratories to develop.

Q: So what you are saying is . . .

A: Yes! The new version is not a copy of anything you ever have smelled before; it is an Orginal Scent.

• johnmk
    9 years ago

I thought I detected a slight change in my last purchase of powdered Ultra Tide at Costco a few weeks back, but didn't post anything because I'm not certain that it passed the threshold of certainty. John-A's post, and the mere presence of this thread, coupled with my own experience, together pretty much seal the deal for me.

I don't believe the change is significant -- it's subtle.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To me, the scent change is not subtle. It's not that the scent is overpowering.....it is just 100% nothing like the "Original" scent that Tide has had for like 40 years.

P & G is a very frustrating company. So annoying. It's like they're super bored, and do not know what to do.

I have some advice....Re-formulate Tide and Downy back to original scents!!!! :)

• emma
    9 years ago

Call the company, I do and always get coupons in return. I called about the Cinnamon Crunch cereal being to sweet, I told them I would never buy that for my kids. Later I saw it advertising less sugar. I know it was not because of me, I just added my opinion to a long list of complaints. I have to put extra milk on most cereal just to cover the sweetness and that is cereal that is not sugared on the outside. My nephew wrote a company about changing his cereal when he was just a boy and they changed it back.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ EmmaR....I cannot tell you how many calls and emails I have sent to P & G. If you look at the Downy website, there are 1000's of complaints about P & G changing the scent of the Original April Fresh Downy scent. It is now very sweet, almost candy like. Very offensive!

• farenlee12
    9 years ago

I KNEW they changed it! Everyone i told thought i was crazy! I bought a box and it smelled so different I went back to the store and smelled every box of tide and bought all the boxes with the old scent. Now im on the hunt and cant leave a store without checking to see if any of their tide is the old original scent. Im SO disappointed in p&g and they definatly will be getting an email from me!!!

• kshroyer
    9 years ago

Talked to P&G. They have flip flopped (for some odd reason we shall never understand) the original powder and mountain spring powder. So supposedly, in a perfect world, I was told to buy the mountain spring to now receive the original scent. In my way of thinking, original is original. If you change something that is supposed to be original, it can't be original anymore. Original carries no changes. Hence the word original. Just saying.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I just opened a new Tide Original Scent HE liquid detergent. Ugh!! The scent is awful! I am going to have to go smell out some old stock I guess. So irritating.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I haven't read through all of the posts so excuse me if I am repeating. I have a friend who is associated with the manufacturing of Tide. She said that there is a different formula for almost every store in which it is sold. In particular, Wal-Mart has its own formula that is theirs alone. If you like a certain Tide, maybe the best bet is to purchase it from the same place every time.

• sshrivastava
    9 years ago

When you have nothing new to offer and are bankrupt when it comes to innovation, you keep messing with your existing products trying to make them seem new and different. Says a lot, I think.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

Ok Larsi, I concede! I just opened a new box of Tide original and yes, you're right, it changed. Seems sweeter maybe? I like the previous scent much better. :-(

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YES andi2928....it has drastically changed. I have 3 large boxes left of the real ORIGINAL Tide he powder....so I should have enough for about 6-8 months. I cannot understand why P&G changed it. The scent has been virtually the same for decades, and it was so soft and powdery, yet clean at the same time.

It also makes me really mad, when you complain to P&G...they tell you to try Mountain Fresh Tide powder, which is now the same scent as the old, Original Tide powder. Yet...it is not, nowhere near the same scent, and Mountain Spring Powder is NOT available in "he".
    P&G is awful.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I've been grudgingly, trying to slowly use up a 102-load box of this stuff, from last Christmas. Box is still 3/4 full... but I've been noticing lately, if I use just 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons & a Teaspoon of STPP, it rinses well enough that the scent is gone, after things come out of the dryer.

The 80-Load box though, of Cheer from Target, smells AMAZING. Not Original Tide scent.... but a really nice, clean scent. And... you only need two tablespoons. 3 is too, too much for me.

I really, really wish I could use full-heaping scoops. It'd be nice to run out of things ;) lol.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mich, I had bought a 120 load box of Cheer a good while back at Ollies Discount warehouse store..when I opened it there was no scent at all, so I called the Cheer hotline, they said if powders are kept in extreme temps, hot to cold they can lose their scent but should still work fine, but they would send me 2 coupons for 80 load boxes since they arnt making the 120 load boxes any more, well they sent me 4 coupons for 80 load boxes lol..I love the scent of Cheer, in my opinion its the last of a real vintage scented laundry detergent. Its also probably the best offerings for darks in the US, IMO.

doesn't Cheer come in two forms in liquid, a black jug and a white one? Do you know what the white one is for and how the scent is? I sure wish they still made blue Cheer lol.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mich...where's my brain..of course the white jug is free and clear..but what's this one?

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Mitch--thinking you may know the answer to this question as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge of products from the past! I am trying to buy GOOD OLD tide powder (either HE or non HE), and I have been tricked by the pics on websites before. (E.g. Peapod shows the pic of tide without acti-lift but they sent me the new box). I have noticed that some sellers have different sized boxes, with different number of loads, than is currently available from Tide.com. Thus, I am wondering if Tide changed the sizes of their detergents after they changed the scents? Any ideas? This seller has boxes with 60 loads in each, and that size isn't available at Tide, so I wonder if it could be the old scent...? http://www.amazon.com/Tide-Powder-Laundry-Detergent-Original/dp/B00L5R5JEY/ref=sr_1_35?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443617162&sr=1-35&keywords=tide+powder

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@Clean_and_bright, I have a PDF somewhere, of all the UPC's & Variations of Tide Powder.

I don't think... the 60 load boxes, have been made in a while. All I remember, from recent is 62 and 68 load boxes, so... those probably are the old scent ;)

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@mamapinky0... I think... there *may* be a white jug still around. I'm pretty sure it was "Free & Clear" Cheer. No idea, if it contained enzymes or not.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@mamapinky0... that "Cheer Bright Clean" has enzymes in it. It's supposed to... be like, Tide Powder, and make "whites" whiter.

I remember seeing commercials years ago for it. "Fight for the bright" I think it was.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

THanks Mich, soI'm assuming that Cheer is an older version. .I will be mad as hell if I order it and its the new box lol

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I wonder Larsi if you knew Tide also had another original scent, lol, it changed in the early 70's you are too young though to remember it..but you would have loved it..Sparky I bet you remember it.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Sure do remember. It was nice too and just to think it has now come to this awful smell they have now.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ Mama....I wasn't born in the early 70's yet. Well, ok maybe the mid/early 70's...1974. Omg, that sounds so old now saying 1974! Love the 70's and 80's though!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Larsi, my eldest son was born November 1974...LOL

larsi_gw thanked mamapinky0
  • adds jo
    3 years ago

completely ruined the Original Scent of Tide, my entire family used to be lifelong loyal customers of that iconic smell of clean, but now hundreds of members of my friends and family are completely done with Tide

• HU-1728584
    last year

I agree they have done something to it. my sheets stink even after line drying. I will not be buying it in the future.

• HU-889746431
    10 months ago

I agree. It smells lousy. The same could be said for Dawn detergent, once lovely and now..UGH! These idiots can't leave well enough alone. And don't get me started on how "they" changed all the great perfumes into practically the same scent no matter what you buy..it smells like fly spray.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH