Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom1234_gw

update after owning samsung 448 for 2 months

mom1234
14 years ago

OK so while i like this set I have a few issues that are very troublesome ,

1. The liquid soap runs right into the laundry doesnt wait to be released. Samsungs answer to this was that I should use powder and that it really didnt go right in on the clothin it goes int water. NO it doesnt you can watch it run down the insude of the door. This flaw makes the prewash cycle useless because it takes all teh soap and there is none left for the main wash.

2. I have had many times a small amount of water drips out down the front from the bottom of the door, Sears says this is if you have ANY hair or and small piece of lint it will act like a syphin so I have to wipe it out after each load.

3. You can start another load right away without powering off then back on this is also the way the dryer works. A pain.

4. I cant choose extra hot on my whites cycle you have to go and use sanitize and add steam and silvercare to that giving you and almost 2 hour wash cycle. I think it was 1hour 54 minutes this morning when I used sanitize and I didnt even use silvercare.

5.many cycles seem to be the same just named different things.

6.Dryer is nice but rolls blankets etc into tight ball and turns off saying its dry I have to unroll and set it to timed dry today I have to reset it and unroll one blanket 3 times. One thing I have noticed is there is very littel lint on the actual lint trap but TONS outside where my vent blows outside. Not sure what that means.

one person at samsung admitted the soap problem is a flaw they were working on but that doesnt help me now that I have spent 3000........

I debated between this and electrolux and went with samsung because it has awesome reviews but these issues do bother me. I specificalyy asked at teh sears store about the soap issue because I had read about it and I was assured that no that was incorrect adn the machine would dispense the soap at the proper time. I dotn know if sears would let me switch at this point or if I even want to but I am frustrated.

Comments (19)

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK heres the response I got from a tech

Hello! My name is Eric and I will help you as much as I can!
    Ok. I will address each one of your concerns 1 by one.

"1. The liquid soap runs right into the laundry doesnt wait to be released. Samsungs answer to this was that I should use powder and that it really didnt go right in on the clothin it goes int water. NO it doesnt you can watch it run down the insude of the door. This flaw makes the prewash cycle useless because it takes all teh soap and there is none left for the main wash."
    By design, unfortunately anything you put into the MAIN detergent area in the dispenser drawer has a CLEAR, UNRESTRICTED path into the washer. ALL of the water that enters the machine travels from the water valve, through the dispenser, and into the wash tub.The other areas in the dispenser work by using a diverter in the dispenser to divert the dispenser water over the correct cup, filling the cup, then,using siphon tubes in the removable TOP cover of the dispenser, siphons the cup clear. The MAIN detergent area does not use the siphon process. When the computer callls for fill, the water simply runs into the main detergent area and move the detergent don the chute and into the tub.PLEASE ONLY use an HE formulated soap in this machine and you only need a MAXIMUM of 4TBS of that.Powder or liquid is your choice but powder disolves just a little slower and will not run into the machine without water.It can also cause clumps though.You must also remove the dispenser drawer periodically and remove the top of it to clean the sipon tubes and the cups.

"2. I have had many times a small amount of water drips out down the front from the bottom of the door, Sears says this is if you have ANY hair or and small piece of lint it will act like a syphin so I have to wipe it out after each load."
    This is true IF the water is actually coming out through the area between the door glass and door seal. It needs to be kept clear of debris. I have been on MANY calls where 1 piece of hair IS the cause. A quick wipedown with a non-abrasive cloth is a good habit to get into after each load. Most, not all front-load machines have this issue.It is because the door frame tends to be a little flimsy on some of them.

"3. You can start another load right away without powering off then back on this is also the way the dryer works. A pain."
    I am assuming you meant that you CANT start another load without pressing cancel or off or shutting the machine off. PLEASE make sure that the cycle is IN FACT finnished and if you have, then this is normal. It might be a pain for you but this is by design for MANY machines. If enough people complain about it, they will design a software upgrade to rectify it but since its not safety related, you will likely have to pay for this.

"4. I cant choose extra hot on my whites cycle you have to go and use sanitize and add steam and silvercare to that giving you and almost 2 hour wash cycle. I think it was 1hour 54"
    Most of the "pre-programmed" cycles limit the kind of changes you can make to them. I KNOW this sucks, but there SHOULD be a CUSTOM CYCLE option you can use to program a cycle tailored just for you.Check your manual. As far as the time it takes, when you use "sanitize", the cycle time is lengthened because now the washer has to heat the water hotter than the water from your water heater. The steam module also need a little more time to produce usable steam from the water. This is just physics and dishwashers with sanitize cycles do the same thing. Maybe some day engineers will design in-line, on demand heaters into this washer which MIGHT speed things along but most manufacturers use a simple heater in the tub to get the hotter temps. Once again, by design.
    I hope this information helps you. If I can clarify any of this, please post back!
    Thanks!
    Eric

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• housefairy
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear your machine is frustrating you in the way it operates.

I have the basic set and when the washer is done and I open the door it shuts off. However, I can just reload and turn the dial. I don't have to push the power button, just turn the dial. This works on both the washer and dryer. However, once I actually start the dryer and I want to change the settings, then I have to push the power off button.

Most people are not willing to pay for the additional cost involved in rewiring (plus pulling permits) that would be required to run a faster heater. Basically running another hookup similar to an electric dryer. Miele's used to be one of the washers that require this setup. The best way is to load and use your delay start. Either have the load done before you get up or before you are home from work.

As far as water running down the front of the machine, I haven't had a problem with either the new Samsung or my old FL Neptune. The new one I do wipe down the glass door, but that's because you can see though it. The old Neptune, would get an occasional cleaning when I would wipe down the machine. My neighbors FL was leaking from the front and was told she was stuffing too many clothes and/or too much detergent. Don't know if that solved her problem or was used as an excuse to not fix the machine.

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do always wipe it down because its glass on my neptune I never did and it never got moldy or anything.
    I think my issues are pretty much going to be the same on other machines as they all seem to have thier quirks from what I am reading. Id be happy if they would just fix the soap dispenser part.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

One piece of hair can cause a problem?

Mercy.

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

I have the 328's and have had no problems with water coming out of the door. Also, as housefairy stated, all I have to do is turn the knob to the desired cycle - I do not have to power on then turn the knob.

From my understanding, if I use the sanitize cycle (which heats up the water), there would be no point in using the SilverCare option also. The advantage to Silvercare is being able to sanitize while using cold water.

Since mine does not have the steam option, I cannot comment on that.

You can "customize" as the rep stated. Push "my cycle" then pick your selections, and the next time it will remember them.

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tryed to use the my cycle ad either I am doing it wrong or it will not let me choose extra hot as an option. Seems sanitize is the only way to get extra hot.
    My wantign to use extra hot was to get white super white.

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

True - you cannot choose extra hot unless its the sanitize option. I don't understand why you can't just use the sanitize option if you're wanting the hotter setting. It would be the same as picking "towels" for instance and then picking the extra hot setting. I guess I'm missing your point. I use the sanitize option for towels and for really dirty jeans that are my sons work pants. Not that they need sanitized, just washed in really hot water.

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago

its just frustrating that the controls are confusing. I would like to choose any temp in any cycle.

• carol_jk
    14 years ago

Regarding the problem you have with liquid detergent running in the tub immediately, does your washer have a plastic divider at the rear of the detergent compartment? The instructions say to lower it for liquid detergent and raise it for powder. The 448 I saw at Best Buy today had this, and it is supposed to keep the liquid in the compartment until the correct time.

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes it runs right under the thing even when its all the way pushed down.

• wwu123
    14 years ago

I don't really understand the extra hot thing. I have a lowly 218 that doesn't have an extra hot temp setting, but does have a sanitize option. If sanitize is the only mode to use extra hot, well, as far as I can tell, my sanitize option will get as "extra hot" as sanitize does on the higher end models...

• gladiolus
    14 years ago

Well, I just took advantage of Best Buys return policy - I exchanged a Samsung for an LG.

I had owned an LG and was happy with the operation but when it broke down to the tune of nearly $1,000 in repairs (board and bearings), after only five years, I was mad at LG and decided to replace it with a Samsung.

After using the Samsung for 3 weeks I decided I didn't like it. Compared to the LG the Samsung was just lacking in some of the options I liked with the LG. mom1234 I can understand some of your issues.

Best Buy was great and had the LG I was interested in (WM2101H) so I exchanged them.

I'll write a comparison in a couple weeks when I have had a chance to really check out the new LG machine.

• mom1234
    Original Author
    14 years ago

which samsung did you have ?
    Id been told to avoid lgs.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

We've had our LG's for 2 years and no problems..

The early ones may have had a rear bearing problem, enhanced by not using low suds, HE detergents ...

• gladiolus
    14 years ago

I think it was the Samsung WF 328 aaw - it had a heater but not steam. I gave all the paperwork back to the delivery/haul away guys today so I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Today I've done an LG "Speed Wash" that took 29 mins. vs Samsung "Quick Wash" that took 1:02 with default ag* or switch off the ag* and get a 38 min "Quick Wash"

Now I'm doing an LG Sanitary cycle with prewash, water plus and extra rinse with an estimated time of a little over 2 hours vs the Samsung Sanitary cycle that I think included a prewash and took 2:56 w/ ag* or 2:50 w/o ag*

I was never convinced about the LG "roller balls" and thought they probably only added a rattle noise but the large fins and the roller balls do seem to be turning the laundry better than the almost smooth Samsung drum.

My old LG tangled clothes in the washer like PJ's or long sleeved knit shirts but what is interesting is that even though the Samsung washer did not tangle clothes, the clothes came out of the dryer very wrinkled - no matter what washer cycle I used. I was able to wash most of my family's clothes and not need ironing with the LG washer. I still have my original LG dryer.

I like that I can fine tune all the cycles on the LG - like change the water temps, speed up or slow down the spin, turn all cycles (except Sanitary) into a "Quick Cycle"

More later...

• xc60
    12 years ago

Just want to say,

We purchased this washer and dryer set and have used it just over one month and love it! The clothes are clean, soft and smell great. The clothes are almost dry when they come out of the washer and dry time is short usually 30 mins or less, what a change from our GE front loaders we previously had where the clothes were really wet and took an hour or more to dry. Also there is no moldy smell when the washer door has been closed and the machine unused for days.

The only problem we had was when drying blankets the machine would turn off and we would have to unroll the blankets and start the machine again several times as the dryer would say the load was dry just like the OP had posted about, the fix was to use the heavy duty setting, the blankets and sheets came out perfect!

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

We have had the 328 for 2 years. I can wash clothes now but I am convinced that Samsung engineers really don't know how to build a washer (we don't have their dryer). The soap dispenser is a mess. It has just the problems theOP described for theirs. I thought it was defective and they sent me another, exactly the same. There is no such thing as a wash cycle after the prewash because all the liquid soap is gone. Answer: Samsung didn't know how to make one that works. They felt free to market their machines at an extra high price though. I have posted my woes with this machine before so if you are interested search my posts.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Hmmm. I don't have volumes of home laundry experience to draw on so I found this post very interesting. I have Samsung WF-1254 & DV665JW (stripped down versions of the compact Maytag pair MAH2400AWW & MDE2400AYW). No pre-wash so I use a "Quick Wash" and once that cycle is complete I select my regular cycle, load the soap and start it. I gather with the machines in question you go from pre-wash directly into the regular cycle selected(thus the issue with the detergent). I like how mine work with the pre-wash as a separate cycle (you could probably mimic this with the available settings if you were so inclined).

Have you tried folding sheets and blankets before putting them in the dryer? Someone here suggested this and I am having much less difficulty with balling now.

Both LG and Samsung are very young companies who have come very far very quickly. Seems like they still have some room for improvement (but who doesn't?).

• mike_73
    12 years ago

I recently got a Samsung and I like mine. Mine came with a cup that goes in the tray to hold the liquid detergent. I have to remove it for powders and put it back for liquids or yes it does go right in to the drum. anything I put in the pre-wash goes right in as well. Mine showers the water over the area where the detergent is for main and pre washes, so the powders mostly stay put until the main wash. I have different model and mine is a steam washer too so it may be made different.

I don't have extra hot... I have to use sanitize or deep steam to get a very hot wash.