Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
machines not working, then working again

Posted by egganddart49 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 18:46

I posted here recently about my 12 year-old Bosch Axxis washer and dryer both malfunctioning. The dryer was only warm, not hot, taking hours to dry. The washer was not draining or spinning, and wouldn't go on with the cycle.

I gave up on them both for over a week, but tried the washer yesterday and it's working again. I started doing half-full loads on quick cycle, and have progressed to nearly full loads on regular cycle. I got brave today and tried the dryer, and it is also working!

I'm not optimistic about them continuing to work, but I've done 6 loads in 2 days and so far they're operating completely normally.

Anyone have any idea what would cause either of them, let alone both, to act like this?? Does it mean they're on their way out? Or they're miraculously cured? They're stacked and the washer plugs into the dryer, but they weren't moved or touched or anything during this time. Could it be that a load was too heavy and that put it out of whack for a few loads before returning to normal? But that doesn't explain the dryer....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: machines not working, then working again

Sounds like it might have been the effects of a brownout. I've included a link to brownouts on Wikipedia below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia.org: Brownout (electricity)

o

Thanks for your suggestion. I read it, but don't know enough about types of motors to follow it. The washer is still working, but the dryer is back to its old tricks -- beeping that there's lint needing to be cleaned or just bc the load is allegedly dry, when neither is true. (However, I will check the back of the dryer again to make sure no lint built up in the vent.)

I got the brilliant idea to try the permanent press cycle, and that worked fine. Wish I understood mechanics/electronics!

o

Arrgghhh! The perm press cycle only worked that once, now it's not working either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here