Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite top-load washer with allergen or sanitary setting?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 16:38

I need to make a decision by tonight and am at my wits-end trying to come up with something that has this feature, but is not front-loading.

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite top-load washer with allergen or sanitary setting?

why do you want a top loader???

o

i had too many problems with mold on the rubber seal portion on my bosch front loader. i absolutely hated it and everyone i know with a front loader of any brand has this problem.

o

interesting that you had mold on your bosch.
I have a 41/2 year old bosch with not a hint of mold.
I do several sanitary cyles a week and several hot cyles a week. I do not use fabric softener.

o

I have the Lg wave force with sanitary cylce...it seems to work well, thought it does not get to 160 as advertised, LF says that is a misprint

o

threeapples, I don't have ANY trouble with mold and many other FL washer owners don't, either. Chalk it up to poor care, on your part--nothing more.

o

Currently, the NSF home page only lists four manufacturers as having sanitizing TL washers: GE, LG, Samsung and Whirlpool/Maytag.

LG WaveForce, GE and Kenmore Elite are all basically the same unit. GE states that their Sani cycle goes up to 140F. The same might actually also be true for the other two models, esp. since gates1 said his WaveForce doesn't hit 160 as claimed.

Whirlpool and Maytag heat up to 120F, unless the cycle was changed. The key for their cycles is to add an oxy product to achieve sanitation performance, hence the cycle's name Sanitary with Oxi.

Samsung's Sanitary cycle went up to 120F, too - according to washerdryerinfo.org.

Allergene cycles on top loaders (I think that's Whirlpool only?) don't heat all that high but rather use several deep fills (like a deep-water wash and rinse) to flush out stuff.

Dryers can sanitize, too, basically over-drying lauundry on a high heat setting.

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here