Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
emergency water shut-off for washer

Posted by drdannie (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 16:36

I did a search of this forum but didn't come up with anything.� My Electrolux w/d are being delivered Friday and will go into a laundry area in my pantry that has a wood floor.� Someone told me of a safety valve or some type of emergency shut off system in case of a washer overflow. Doe anyone have such a device or heard of anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: emergency water shut-off for washer

They sell anti flood flexible supply lines at any box store. It's about $30 for the pair.

o

Thanks GreenDesigns. I appreciate the info.

o

I think Watts makes a device that shuts off the flow at the wall if a detector located on the floor detects water. You can also install a dual valve that has a single cutoff handle to turn off the hot/cold when not in use.

o

"You can also install a dual valve that has a single cutoff handle to turn off the hot/cold when not in use."

Given their reliability, ease of use, and low cost, I think these things should be written into the codes as a requirement. Consumer-grade hoses and "soft" connections in pressurized lines are never to be trusted.

o

Thanks weedmeister and asolo - I did a google search and found the Watts Intelliflow device which uses a detector on the floor and I like the idea of a single handle to turn off both the hot and cold water. Like most folks, I never turn the water off to the washer when I'm not using it, but given I now have a wood floor in that area, I wiill start doing this. Right under the washer and dryer, my GC used a rubber product used in shower pans that he painted on and then we tiled over that with a 2 inch lip all the way around to create actual pans that the machines will sit in. After all these precautions, hopefully there will be no floods. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here