Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izeve

How long is the wash portion of your cycle?

izeve
12 years ago

I have read many complaints about long cycle times in FL machines. I, for one, do not mind longer cycle times but I noticed that the majority of the cycles in my machine is used for rinsing and spinning. For example, the cycle I use often for washing clothes is 1:13 long, of which the fill and wash take 23 minutes and rinsing and spinning is 50 minutes (that includes a third rinse). Also, have any of you measured actual temperatures in the drum right after the fill and at the end of the cycle to confirm that the washer does what it's supposed to do in terms of wash temp? The last question is directed primarily at owners of Miele and Bosch washers - I'm curious if your washers really perform as promised.

Comments (3)

• User
    12 years ago

I have a Bosch and no, I haven't measured temps.
    In the Sanitary cycle, the door can't be opened then it is supposed to be up to the maxiumum temp.
    I can tell you that when the sanitary cycle is done, the clothes still feel very warm when I pull them out.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ izeve

I have a Miele W4842. The shortest cycle is Express @ 30 mins. The longest is Sanitary @ 2:36 w/ all options selected (heavy soil, extended and sensitive). I haven't paid much attention to the length of time taken by rinses and spins, but I estimate each rinse takes about 8-10 minutes and spins @ high speed are under 10 mins. 50 minutes sounds like a long time for rinsing and spinning. When using the standard two rinses, the machine drains and starts the spin portion with :29 remaining on the clock. With a third rinse option enabled, the wash drains at around :39. These are ballpark estimates from what's crammed in my tiny little brain.

As far as performance, my clothes come out cleaner and softer than they did from my Euro sized Asko. The build quality is far superior to anything else available in the US market. Maytag, Kenmore, Whirlpool, GE, LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, even Bosch, etc. just cannot compete with Miele on build quality. This viewpoint can only be appreciated when you look at each machine up close, touching the controls, flexing the plastic components, hitting the buttons, etc. Did you know that the Touchtronic controls of the W4842 are sealed against water? Miele manufactures its own circuit boards for all of their machines. In fact, they manufacture most of the components that go into their machines - very little, if anything, is "off the shelf" stuff. The water hoses, for instance, are designed to handle 20 times the expected water pressure. Those types of things aren't even promoted by the company, yet they put common sense and thoughtfulness behind their designs, and the machines they make are purpose built to last 20 years.

I broke the plastic coin trap doors on two Samsung machines at Lowes a couple of years ago when I was playing with them. I was just trying to open the little plastic door, but the simple mechanical action of opening it caused the little plastic tab to break. I was not even applying any real force or pressure - I know plastic breaks, so the last thing I wanted to do was break something on their floor model. But it's difficult NOT to break something on a washing machine when it's built like a toy.

• westvillager
    12 years ago

I have a newish Miele (model 4842) and an eight-year old smaller version, 2.5 cu/ft, by the same maker. Stain removal, customization and fabric care have been excellent. They've both been temperature tested, though I only witnessed it once on the older unit. He used a thermometer that resembled one you'd use to check a turkey without opening the oven. Don't know if that's standard! I've used other brands only at random times (3 or 4 cycles at a vacation rental a couple times a year) so I can't find my opinion about those vs. Miele persuasive enough to share.

I chalk-up the complaints about cycle times to habit. Design, mechanics and usage are so different between HE and traditional machines, and even HE top and front-loading machines. Given how they clean clothing it sorta stands to reason times will vary. Research companies in the US (and elsewhere) have done studies about HE/FL efficacy and it's always been at least as good if not better. Consumer Reports has said that, for what that's worth.