Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry rack in dryer is worth having?

Posted by momomomo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 15:53

I just want ot know dryrack in LG dryer is effective and worth it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry rack in dryer is worth having?

I use mine. This is the second dryer that I've purchased with a rack. I use it for place mats. Stack and smooth on the rack. Midway thru split them and flip. Also works for napkins. I also use it for sweaters or something that needs to be blocked but you want low heat. Tennis shoes you don't have to hear the thump, thump, thump. Ski gloves and hats. I'm not much for waiting for stuff to set around and dry. And where I live clothes lines are not allowed.

o

I use mine also, for bra's, ball caps, house shoes, anything you don't want to tumble or need to keep it's shape. Try it once and you will really like it.

o

I use mine too. Great for flat drying sweaters on low. And shoes. Hats too.

o

We just got a new LG dryer with the drying rack. When we run the rack dry cycle the drum still spins. LG support said this was normal (after having to check with a technician), but I'm wondering why they say you can't use the rack on any of the tumble cycles if the rack spins on the rack dry cycle anyway? Without the using a tumble cycle we can't use steam.

Do any of your dryer drums spin on the rack dry cycle and if so, have you used other tumble cycles with the rack and had any problems?

o

Yes. The only ones I'm aware that stopped the drum were Norge units of years ago (and some Montgomery Wards Signature that were sourced from Norge). The rack hung laterally across the drum baffles, a mechanism disengaged the drum drive so it didn't tumble.

Probably the reason for the warning against using other than the designated "Rack Dry" cycle is that the usual auto-dry (moisture sensor) cycles won't work if there aren't clothes tumbling and brushing against the moisture sensor bars. Any timed-dry cycle should work, however, not only the designated Rack Dry cycle.

o

I was surprised, when we bought our GE Harmony set, that it doesn't have a no-tumble cycle for rack drying. Since it has separate motors for the drum and the fan, and they are both controlled by the microprocessor, it would have been trivial to implement. And with a no-tumble cycle you could have a multi-level rack and dry more stuff. As it is, the single rack, although it sounds ideal for sweaters and such, has so little surface area that if you dried a whole load it would be one piece at a time, which obviously would take forever. The only thing we use our rack for is sneakers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here