Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Recommend simple dryer

nosoccermom
9 years ago

My 20+ year old Kenmore dryer died and needs to be replaced ASAP, like today or tomorrow.
Because I have a Miele washer, i.e. smaller loads, it doesn't need to be huge. I also don't need all the super fancy features. Just moisture sensor, and I'm good.

Any recommendations? Based on my experience with other GE appliances, they are a no go.

Also, do I want one where the knobs etc are in the front or in the back? I guess front means I can have a counter. Any other advantages?

Comments (9)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

In my opinion the simplest, most durable, and easiest to repair has always been the 29" Whirlpool with the lint filter at the top. Your 20+ year old Kenmore dryer was probably made by Whirlpool (does the model # start with 110?) and the design has barely changed since then so that speaks to their effectiveness.

Are you sure your existing one has a moisture _sensor_? Most dryers except the fancier models just do auto dry cycles based on the thermostat cycling. I.E., the timer will only advance when the heater is OFF. The heater is off more as the clothes get drier so the timer advances faster and ends the cycle. Whirlpool doesn't have moisture sensors on their basic models nowadays but they do have the thermostatic auto dry control which is more than likely what your current dryer does anyway.

Electric = WED4800XQ
    Gas = WGD4800XQ

The ones with the front knobs are the ones made to match front loaders. They tend to have lots of unnecessary and gimmicky computer controls, more to break. All you need in a dryer is a timer and thermostat. Keep it simple.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 17:18

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking about LG. Any feedback on that?
    And, no, my old one doesn't have moisture sensor. I think the heat is either on or off.
    Are there dryers that actually have different temperature settings?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

"I was thinking about LG. Any feedback on that?"

I have one. I bought it to match my LG front loader. It is the opposite of simple. Too many unnecessary gimmicks and electronic controls. I think that high efficiency washers can benefit from extra features/cycles and electronic controls, but dryers... no way. It is something else to fail that will not really improve the functionality or efficiency of the product. If you want to buy one to match an LG front loader, I think they're fine machines and I haven't had any issues, but I would not buy one on its own. The dryer situation today is ridiculous... They are charging as much for these dryers as they are for the washers, but you're just paying for a gussied up version of the same technology that has been used for years.

"And, no, my old one doesn't have moisture sensor. I think the heat is either on or off.
    Are there dryers that actually have different temperature settings?"

Whether a dryer has a moisture sensor or not has nothing to do with how many temperature settings it has. The more basic models use one high temperature and the cycles only differ by time. Higher end models can use lower temperatures for delicates and perm press. Mostly all dryers except for the very bottom of the line have an automatic drying cycle that runs off the thermostat as i described above. The highest end models have moisture sensors that pass current through the clothes to see how wet they are. Some say this is more accurate but in my opinion the thermostatic auto dry systems are more reliable.

My point is you probably don't need a moisture sensor, just an auto dry cycle and the Whirlpool I mentioned has that. It has mechanical controls and should last just as long as your old one if installed and used properly.

Do you need a gas dryer or an electric dryer?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need an electric dryer that's vented to the outside.

Just checked: The old one is a Whirlpool LEX6150...
    What I didn't like about it is that it gets incredibly hot (well, not anymore because the heating element is busted now), so many of our clothes shrank.

The only reason why I would want a machine with front controls is that I could put a counter top over both washer and dryer (or am I wrong)? Not sure, however, if it's worth it.

Was looking at the DLE3050W, currently on sale for 650.00 incl tax and delivery.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

LEX6150 doesn't search as a valid model number. Neither does LXE6150.

LE6150X is valid. It's a lower-end model without a separate temp control, although the timer may offer cycles with high or low heat.

The serial number is coded for year and week of manufacture.

Your "old" dryer is very much fixable. Heating elements are not expensive (can be had for less than $20 + shipping). The exhaust air temp shouldn't get higher than around 155ðF. Overheating is typically caused by 1) a bad thermostat ($17); 2) heating element shorted to ground, which causes it to not shut off; or 3) airflow obstruction in the exhaust.

But sounds like you'd rather spend $650 on a new machine, which is valid per your choice.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would go for the WED4800XQ. You should be able to find it for under $500 and it has multiple temperature settings so you don't have to scorch your clothes with high heat. Having owned both I just think the Whirlpool is a much more robust design.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, went ahead yesterday and bought the LG. My laundry room is very small, so the option of installing a counter was tempting.
    Now I just hope that the new dryer will last half as long the old one and isn't only good-looking but hardworking, too

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What's the point of asking for advice if you've already made up your mind?

That said, I don't think you'll have issues with it. My LG washer has been a nightmare, the dryer has been fine. Then again I rarely use it preferring to air dry. It is a fine dryer, just not "simple" like you requested originally. I also think my washer experience is an anomaly, I'm sure there are many out there who love theirs.

The problem with the made in Korea brands like LG compared to the made in USA brands like Whirlpool is not that they're complete crap but that parts and service can be slow to get and your average serviceman is going to be less familiar with them. Most people will not have a problem but if you're one of the unlucky few that does, chances are higher you'll have a bad service experience.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 14:53

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hadn't made up my mind, but I urgently needed a dryer. It's not that I was in love with my old dryer, which shrank the heck out of many of our clothes because it got so hot.

I certainly very much appreciated the information about how a dryer works and what to consider, and you really shouldn't think that you were wasting your time. I looked for the Whirlpool WED4800XQ, but it is not available in my local stores and would have required shipping, taking about a week before I would get it while the dirty laundry is piling up. I can't air dry because my climate is way too humid.
    "Simple" didn't refer so much to ease of use but rather that I didn't need a multitude of features, such as steam drying; however, based on what I read in consumer report and online reviews, a moisture sensor seemed like a nice feature.
    Also, I stated several times that having the controls on the front of the machine rather than in the back was an attractive feature, allowing me to install a counter.

In short, I appreciate your advice and information.