Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryer - 3' vent for a section

Posted by grassy (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 15:11

I got a new dryer and it is deeper than my previous dryer, so there is not enough space behind it for the standard 4" vent pipe.

Would there be any adverse effects if I stepped the size down to a 3" pipe coming out of the dryer for about 20 inches, then step it back up to the 4" where it connects to the pipe that leaves the house?

I'm not even sure if this gets me the space I need, but I am thinking of giving it a shot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryer - 3' vent for a section

I'd recommend don't do that.

o

They make periscope vents. That might solve your problem. Be aware that since they are rigid (I think) that they are noisier than the flex tube type vent.

o

shouldn't use "flex" tube vents...

the ridges collect lint

o

I looked at the periscope vents. The problem is the way the back of the dryer is constructed and the position of the vent exiting the dryer.

The periscope gets me about an extra half inch to inch over the 4" pipe. There's a gap to the side of the vent exit that a 3" pipe could recess into nicely, which would give me even more.

Kind of a poor design if you ask me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here