Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Pottery Barn style of rod/shelf for hanging clothes

Posted by susanelewis (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 14:17

We have an ugly wire shelf across the wall in our laundry room where we hang drip dry clothes. It has the even uglier vertical bar with holes to adjust how high on the wall the shelf sits. It's unsightly and with our laundry room getting retiled next year I am on the hunt for a white wood laundry shelf with attached rod to place on the wall. It needs to be about 5-6' long as we hang a lot of clothes.

Has anyone seen something like this in a catalog or online? I have gone through Pottery Barn, Renovations Hardware and other similar stores for this item but to no avail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Pottery Barn style of rod/shelf for hanging cloth

Six feet may be a bit long without additional support brackets, once you have many wet items hanging. I'm not quite sure what you have in mind, but here's a link to a source I found by running a search for "wooden shelf + rod." I know nothing about this company, unfortunately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of shelf options

o

Thanks, kitchdet. Although what they have isn't quite my style and they don't appear to have anything for hanging clothes (just drapes), I really appreciate you taking the time to look. I may ask my closet guy the next time he's working on one of my closets. He might have something that could work.

o

susan

I have 2 simple folding wooden clothes dryers in my laundry area

I painted one white - the other is a large, heavy duty one I just purchased at consignment shop (for a song!) -

I prefer them because I can dry a lot on them & it doesn't involve reaching/stretching if that makes sense

Here is a link that might be useful: clothes rack options

o

Try Ballarddesigns.com They have several types of hanging racks

o

I have these wall mounted drying racks from Ballard Designs.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=4186&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=8

If I had known then what I know now I would have ordered two of them and installed them side by side. These are great and are in constant use at my house. If I ever move I'm either taking this one with me or having new ones installed right away - they are that useful.

o

Oops. Meant to say that I only have one of the racks, but two would be even better if you have the room.

o

Sorry, stbonner, but that link brings up a blank page.

I've looked through Ballard Designs but haven't seen anything that I could hang up to 10 or more items of clothing on hangers. I envision a white contemporary shelf with a rod below for hanging clothes. I saw it once in an ad for something else (washer, dryer, ?) but never sold by itself. It could even be a small long cabinet with a rod below.

If that can't be found, even a collapsible rod (no shelf necessary) would work. It would be out of the way when not in use. However, it cannot be any deeper than one row of clothing. The type of racks on Ballard's don't work for me as they stick out into the room far too much.

o

Sorry. This one should work

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/By-Room/Laundry-Room/Drying-Racks/Beadboard-Drying-Rack/p/2465?path=12175217581954&iProductID=2465

These are wall mounted racks that lean out into the room a bit. There are really not suited to clothes on hangars, so may not be what you are looking for. They are for draping clothes directly over the racks. The beauty of them is that they don't take up any floor space and can be pushed flat against the wall when not in use. Even when in use they don't protrude too far into the room.

o

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion, but you are correct in that it won't work in my situation. I am going to tile most of the wall so I need a more horizontal solution and definitely, one that supports hangers. I rarely dry shirts and pants completely dry. The problem is that this would be installed on the wall where the door lies flat when opened, therefore, it cannot stick out from the wall very much unless placed over our heads (hence the horizontal hanging rack).

I so wish my laundry room was just two feet wider!

o

Do you have a preference as to the material for the rod, i.e., metal, wood, etc.? Outwater Plastics Catalog may have something you could use. If you aren't familiar with them, the name is deceptive. The catalog is a lot to slog through. You may want to call.

Maybe these pages? http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/2009_master/page/303

Here is a link that might be useful: Outwater

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here