Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Auto shut off for front-loading high efficiency machine?

Posted by mweyandt (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 14:06

I was looking on Amazon today for auto shut off valves, and saw several negative reviews and complaints about the Watts 1/2 brand not working well with front-loading, high efficiency machines. The shut off would misunderstand the last cycle and deny access to the machine for water.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better product or a workaround?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Auto shut off for front-loading high efficiency machine?

I happen to know four people who've had flood disasters caused by toilet tank fill hoses. No one I know has mentioned a disaster caused by washing machine hoses, for what it's worth. Informed by that sampling, I got a whole-house leak detection system installed. It works based on flow volume and time, with separate settings for "home" and "away". With my settings, when the unit is in home mode, it'll shut off the water after 35 minutes of flow at a fast drip or more. That is, 35 minutes of a fast drip, or 35 minutes of an open pipe, or anywhere in between. In away mode, it's similar, but the threshold is 3 minutes. So I could suffer some damage, but hopefully not of the "water pouring out of basement windows" variety that I've heard about. And this covers all the pipes and fixtures and appliances in the house, not just the clothes washer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here