Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimensions of new laundry closet

Posted by LARemodel (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:05

Every time I purchase a new w/d it's larger than the previous set. I'm moving my laundry from main level to 2nd floor with access from the hallway. I want to plan for expansion.

The current space for the w/d is a closet, 76" w by 31" d. I have LG f/l and dryer that are about six years old, 27" x 27" and just barely fit, depth-wise.

I want to make the new laundry closet large enough to accommodate purchase of a new w/d set in next few years. I checked the dimensions of two brands: Electrolux and Maytag Maxima. These are 27" wide. But depth is 33" on one and 34" on the other.

What do you think would be a reasonable size laundry closet to plan for w/d sets? I'm planning depth of about 40". Will that be enough?

Current set has the washer on left and dryer on the right. Is this standard?

Maximum width I have available is about 6'10". If I allow 5' for the w/d, it leaves 22" width space for a small sink, broom closet, or stacked baskets of laundry. Which do you think would be most useful? There is a hall bathroom about 8' away from the laundry area - so can access a sink there.

I plan to put a counter over the w/d (no drawers below w/d) and cabinets above that. Space will be water-proofed and enclosed with louvered doors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimensions of new laundry closet

If you go to the Electrolux web site and download the installation manuals, they have excellent diagrams for clearance and closet installation. But be advised that with most venting arrangements, you won't actually be able to get the zero clearance on the back of the dryer. We used a GE venting kit, which has a reasonably quick turn elbow, but no way it could achieve zero clearance. The net result is about 5" clearance between the back of the machines and the wall, with water hoses running behind the vent hose. The water connections are recessed into the wall behind the machines.

Front to wall total is about 35-36 inches; it's difficult to measure exactly because the door bowls out. Forty inches should be fine. Keep in mind Electrolux recommends at least an inch between any closet door and the front of the machines. I don't know whether the louvers on the closet door affect the thickness of the door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here