Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
REVIEW: My 13 year old Asko died: bought Miele

Posted by kaismom (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 14:04

My beloved Asko died. I could not get a standard 27 inch machine. The space was not deep enough. Only 28 inches deep. The salesman talked me out of getting the Electrolux which was the only machine with the proper door configuration. He said that the machines would stick out into the room by many inches and the space is already too tight.

The Miele capacity is noteceably larger. 2.0 c ft vs 2.5 c ft. I have lived with the euro machine for so long that any increase in the capacity is a plus. I had a capacity envy for years. When standard American machines started to add internal water heaters, I thought I could get a huge washing machine with the features that I wanted. Alas. It's not meant to be.

Anyrate, so far the Miele washer is much quieter, it seems to be gentler on clothes. The quietness is expected when I am comparing the new machine with an old machine with old worn out bearings, motors etc.

120v vs 240v does not seem to make that much difference in the wash time. They both take about 1 hour plus a few min to finish.

Miele heats temp to 70C.
Asko heated to 95C. Not is sure if I will miss the higher temp.

The programs seem to be pretty self explanatory.

I was used to the control where you actually pick the exact temp. Miele says cold, warm etc. however, if you look at the manual, there is a specified temp that the setting corresponds to.

I like the idea of the dryer settings that stop when the clothes are still damp enough to iron. I am going to see if I use it or not.

So far so good.

Like all Miele products, there is a feel of luxury about their stuff. Not sure what it is but they build luxury into their stuff.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: REVIEW: My 13 year old Asko died: bought Miele

Same thing happened to me. I love the new one so much more.

So amazing you find it self-explanatory. I couldn't figure out which cycle to use for what -- it's taken several months and a lot of help from buffalotina who has been incredibly generous with her time and insights.

Much luck with yours.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 16:56

o

Great news. My set is still sitting in the warehouse waiting for my bathroom to finish to a point for installation. I am so excited to hear of other's appreciation of their Miele set.

o

There is always a bit of water trapped in the rubber seal of the gasket. I can't imagine that it would not get gross over time.

The old Asko did not have any place where water could collect. This seems like a bit of design problem. It really seems like an oversight...

Do you clean out the trapped water?

o

If it looks like a lot of water I use a microfiber towel to wick it up. I also wipe out the gasket from time to time. Never found gunk -- there are drain outlets. I had a similar gasket on my Bosch pair and there was no issue with that.

For good measure I always leave the door ajar and the detergent drawer open until it dries.

There is a once-a-month maintenance routine for the machine & the dryer as you likely noted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here