Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fisher Paykel Dryer has low heat

Posted by RobertG12 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 13:49

I have a Fisher Paykel top loading dryer (DEGX1) and I recently replaced both heating elements because one broke. The dryer seemed to work fine for about a month but now is not heating fully and takes a long time to dry. It's as if one of the elements is not heating up but I've double checked everything and can't find the problem. Any ideas on what could be the issue or how to troubleshoot further?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fisher Paykel Dryer has low heat

Possible airflow obstruction somewhere.

I disassembled mine early this year for investigation of a recurring Airflow Fault whenever high temp was used (beeping with Auto Sensing flashing during operation -- Fault 16 in Diagnostics). Had been getting around it for some while by running only on Delicate (low heat) or Perm Press (med heat). Both run only one of the two elements as opposed to high temp (Regular and Denim) which runs both elements.

My exhaust ducting is very short and confirmed clear so I was sure there was a clog somewhere in the dryer. I found the expected lint clog below the filter ring in the airflow outlet housing on left side of the drum. Required complete disassembly of the dryer to remove the outlet housing, which mounts to the left side-panel.

I also found (unexpectedly) that one of the elements was broken. I am not understanding why the airflow fault was occurring since it logically would trigger via overheating of the elements which shouldn't occur if only 2/3 of the heating capacity is running. The bad element apparently was not shorting to ground as that would keep it energized continuously and there was no observation of that occurring.

Anyway, got the clog cleared and element replaced, it's running good as new.

Regards to the lint clogging ... check your filter ring for tears, which allows significant lint to pass through to the exhaust. ... and the lint scraper piece for excess wear. I had replaced my filter once before and it had a few tears again, so 2nd replacement was done. The replacement now appears to be of stronger mesh material than previously.

The picture below shows the outlet housing removed from the side panel. It mounts turned facing the other way against the panel and at a slight angle as evidenced by part of the clog stuck on the panel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here