Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will washer crack large tile

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 12:51

I'm about to start working on a mud/laundry room and would like to tile the whole thing in ceramic tile. How likely would it be that the washing machine, that every so often does the Watusi due to imbalance, will end up cracking the large tiles? Is it best to define a non-tiled ares for the washer and drier? I was thinking of incorporating the washer into a large tray maybe with a drain to the basement to avoid any bad leaks that might develop in a washer malfunction.

I posted this in the flooring forum as well but wondered if anyone had had similar experiences.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will washer crack large tile

IF the tile was properly installed it shouldn't break, BUT if you are still concerned, install a layer of 1-1/8" Sturd-i-floor under the washer (and dryer, to match heights). You can secure it with brackets to studs in the wall behind the washer or simply use some adhesive in a few spots. Be sure to put the washer on it after applying adhesive so that it will squish down, to avoid air voids. For uneven tile you may need to install a THIN layer of something such as what is used under laminate floors, to prevent possible hum from vibrations in the sturdifloor (VERY UNLIKELY, as it is 1-1/6" thick). I'm giving you these instructions to be on the safe side to avoid complications--not saying that anything I mentioned is likely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here