Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

Need Help!!! Building Soon!

Karen15
10 years ago

I have finalized 3 versions of our laundry/mudroom combo room. I need help deciding which one. The room dimensions are 11 x 12. There is a door to enter directly from the garage, opening to the kitchen and an opening to the front entry foyer. I have no intentions of folding laundry in this room, however I want to make sure it has the following...coat closet (double rack inside), bench with coat hooks and cubbies above. In the pictures those are on the same wall. Also, washer and dryer, small broom closet, sink and small rod to hang a few clothes if needed. I like counter space, but do not need a large area for it. And just a few cabinets for detergent etc. I look forward to hearing everyones suggestions!!

Comments (29)

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OptionB with laundry on a different wall.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option C is the same as the first one, but the wall next to washer and dryer is removed.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the same pictures just a 3D top view of room. This is the first one (A)

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

3D top view of B.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly 3D top view of C (similar to A just without the one wall next to w&d).

• maries1120
    10 years ago

I like option B except for no room between the w/d and the sink.

Will you be OK with the w/d being that low and not on a pedestal? If you are, what about stacking them to give you more room?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm only 5ft so I think I would need a step stool if I stacked them. At our current home they are on the floor (no pedestals) and the height doesn't bother me. If we did stack them where do you think they should go?

• georgect
    10 years ago

I totally vote for option B.

I would not stack them as you have plenty of room.
    Stacking for you would not be in YOUR best interest being 5ft tall.

Plus, access to either the washer or dryer, for repair is easiest side by side (instead of moving both to get access to one).

In addition, having both the washer and dryer in option B's position gives you more elbow room to work on either machine if needing repair.

Option B just give you more to work with and less hassles.

Besides, when you sit on the bench, you'll be looking at your beautiful machines instead of cabinets.

• kris_zone6
    10 years ago

I like option B also. You have more workable counter space. If you put cabinets above the w/d you will also have more storage. Don't forget to have a shelf for laundry detergent big enough to hold the large boxes and/or jugs. Even though you might not use the large containers it would be nice for resale.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love that everyone is leaning towards the same option! It helps a lot. I'm so indecisive. I have attached a better view of Option B so you can see that there are two windows in the room. I'm not sure if I can put any upper cabinets on this wall because of window placement. Maybe an open shelf in between them? The wall with the washer & dryer is the 11ft wall and the other wall is the 12 ft one. Thanks!!

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking I can leave an opening where the end base cabinet is by the opening for laundry basket.instead of having the closed cabinet.

• User
    10 years ago

I also like B and it looks like you will be able to vent right to the outside which I think shortens the time it takes to dry things.

• maries1120
    10 years ago

I'm 5'2" so I know I couldn't work with them stacked. We just ordered the GE Right Height washer and dryer since I thought no pedestal was too low but we didn't have the height for the other ones.

• georgect
    10 years ago

@maries1120...

Please fill us in on your new GE Right Height set.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

• maries1120
    10 years ago

Georgect - I will post about the GEs. They get delivered next Saturday.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this your washer & dryer (built in pedestals)? These might not work because of the two windows in the room. I like them though.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Anoter vote for B. :)

One thing to keep in mind is how wide the units are. Most (like, almost all) washers are roughly 27 inches wide but there are units that are 28 or 29 inch wide (the GEs pictures above and the LG 8000). So, I'd leave some space just in case you'd like to upgrade at a later point in time.

Alex

• enduring
    10 years ago

I prefer opt B. I agree with what Maries said above, the sink seems too close to the dryer. Can you move it down a bit?

But the most important thing for me when I first saw these great renderings, was that opt B allows you to have a resting spot for things on the counter, when you come in from the garage. The wall seems to cramp the room in plan A, and in plan C, the resting spot will become your washer.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have attached a blank room. I'm open for new suggestions as well as the options above. There maybe a better layout option that I didn't think of. There are 3 entryways to the room. On the left side is a garage door (can be moved up or down on wall). On top is the hall to kitchen. On the right is an opening to foyer (this can be resized to 3ft-5ft). On the bottom are two windows. Note these can be resized based on height of washer/dryer. In the room we'd like (in pics above):

-bench with coat hooks and cubbies above
    -coat closet
    -washer and dryer
    -small sink
    -small broom closet
    -small hanging rod
    -upper cabinets
    -opening in base cabinet for laundry basket

**Anything else that makes sense or better sense! :)

Thanks everyone!

• maries1120
    10 years ago

Karen15 - yes those are the GEs that we ordered but in white. The integrated pedestals make the door about 7" higher so not as good as a full pedestal that is 13-15". Still seem like they will be more comfortable to work with than a unit on the floor.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think you have your last plan view labeled wrong with respect to the doors. Isn't the door on the right the garage door?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No the entry is on the left. My original option b pic is a different view.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The two windows are the front of the house. To the right is a foyer and garage on left.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Oh, in your original A,B,Cs I thought the open door that is in the center of the perspective was the door to the garage. When I mentioned that I liked the B plan, because you could use the counter as a landing space for entering the house from the garage, that would be incorrect now, as I see that the door is to the foyer.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I see what you mean. In A and C the counter and broom closet are to the right of garage entry and in B the counter is on the opposite side of garage entry. Sorry if my pics are confusing!

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took your advice enduring and changed it so there is a drop space from the garage entry.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Well, I think that will be handy. Be sure the door opens so that you reach in to the landing area easily. So the landing area is next to the door handle. I would get lever handles too. They are so helpful when you have an arm full of stuff.

• miruca
    10 years ago

Option B. Awesome laundry room!!

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@miruca.. Thanks!!

1. We're going to put a pocket door to have the option to close off the foyer if needed.

2. I think I'm really liking this "drop zone" space by the garage entry door. It will be great for my purse, charging cell phone and having some sort of cute/small mail sorter on the countertop.

3.Below the sink we can store detergent, stain remover etc for laundry needs.

4. If theres room I'd like to have an open space in a base cabinet to put a nice laundry basket (to bring clothes to put away in). Dirty hampers will be built ins as part of the master WIC (the bag is removable to bring to W & D). No dirty clothes will go in laundry area.

5.The broom closet will store the swiffer, steamer and wet & dry clothes. The hanging rod to air dry a few items.

6. The upper cabinets are for extra storage misc things.

7. Bench and hooks for jackets and bookbag. Cubbies above for hats, scarves and gloves.

8. Closet with double hanging will store winter, fall and guest coats as well as my boyfriends work bag can go on the floor in here.

I'm getting excited!!!