Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of gas and still in the 'closet'

Posted by flynnnj (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 12:27

I've been told that I need to stay with traditional gas W/D due to my space set-up so here goes.... which W/D do you recommend?

It's a townhouse where the W/D are in a closet area with bi-fold doors. I've maxed out the space with 2 shelves for stuff and a pole above the W/D for air drying, etc., and put a small 8" cart between them to hold bleach, fabric softener, etc.

The interior space is 33" deep and 6' long.

The current washer is 28" across the front and 27" deep which leaves room behind for the hose and hook-ups. It's an 8 year old Maytag and I'm disappointed in it's cleaning.

The dryer is 29" across and 26" deep. It's the original builder's Whirlpool from 1989 - 22 years old!!!

It works but I can put socks and delicates on top of the dryer because a lot of 'warmth' escapes when it's on. Hmm- something tells me that a whole lot of heat is escaping and maybe it's time for a new one :)

I've searched the messages but almost everything is about FL. We are not looking for very TOP of the line but do value reliability and better cleaning than with our older units.

PS-
Does anyone think a front loader could fit - if so which? It's just 2 of us most of the time. Would the FL mean we'd have to give up the pole or some of the shelving? If so, the top load will be good enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of gas and still in the 'closet'

Worn seals on a dryer don't cause heat inside to leak out, it allows cold air to be pulled in bypassing the heating element or gas burner. Any appreciable warmth on the top surface is just being radiated from the heated drum inside.

Frontloaders, especially the mega-capacity models, are usually deeper than toploaders so you'd need to confirm the depth requirement including plumbing of the machines you'd be considering.

o
RE: Lots of gas and still in the 'closet'

flynnnj, with that depth of the closet your choices of front loaders will be limited to the models with smaller/more streamlined outside. I have a similar closet (actual depth with door closed is 34.5") and most of the large capacity FL washers would not fit. I had a pair of Whirlpool Duet Sports in that closet previously (smaller version of Whirlpool Duet) and last year I upgraded to LG WM2301. The Duet Sport pair fit fine and the LG fits as well but it's truly a tight fit with the LG. My suggestion would be to look at specifications for any washer you may be interested in and also go to the appliance store and measure the actual depth of the washer (remember to take into account the plumbing space needed in the back). You also should look for models that are more flat in the front and do not have a protruding door. Some of these new washers look like they have a pregnant belly ;-) - you will need to steer clear of those as they require a lot of depth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here