Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2tripsplusone

HE4 Dryer Am I being Unreasonable?

mom2tripsplusone
17 years ago

My 4 month old HE4 Dryer has stopped working (push control buttons and nothing!). I called for service at midnight last night (Sunday) and they say they can't have tech out here until Thursday! I told them that this is unacceptable and they state basically that's the best they can do. Am I being unreasonable to expect better service from them? I know what will happen, I will wait the 4 days, they will come out and tell me they have to order parts and it will be an additional 1-2 weeks. Does anyone know how to get better service out of Sears - I mean comeon the Dryer is only 4 months old!

Comments (7)

• mrb627
    17 years ago

WOW! A four day turnaround for Sears is actually quite good. Before you wait around for Sears, have you checked the obvious? Circuit Breaker? When you open the dryer door, does the light come on? Maybe a power reset might help. Unplug the dryer for about 10 minutes and then plug it back in. Or, locate the ciruit breaker and flip it off for 10 minutes and then back on. Unfortunately, you are in a warranty situation and you're stuck dealing with Sears.

MRB

• abbabba
    17 years ago

I have had the same problem with my dryer... SIX TIMES! I have always had to wait at least three days, sometimes 5 business days before getting the service tech to arrive. We've tried replacing computer board, testing various wires, unplugging for extending periods of time, resetting circuits a few times, etc. The problem always resolves itself eventually - so it always functions properly by the time the Sears tech arrives. Mine is still under warranty but the problem isn't getting "repaired". So I started video taping the errors: no reponse to any buttons, light inside working (so it is getting power), irratic beeping sounds during operation.

Did you have any luck with your repair, once the Sears Repairman finally came?

Has anyone else had their HE4T not work?

• chrisishardcore
    17 years ago

I also had a similar problem. A Sears tech came out and resolved the problem (but put the touch panel part on order) and the next day the dryer was not operating anymore.

When the Sears tech was out, I noticed he would press the more button and then the less button and then repeat this a couple of times. If the dryer is functioning properly, pressing more-less-more-less (two times each) should enter it into diagnostic mode. If your panel is being unresponsive, it may take up to 20 or 30 repetitions but in my experience it will eventually enter into diagnostic mode.

If you have nothing wrong, all of red and green indicator lights should light up next to their label or on the button and they should remain solid. In diagnostic mode, a button or light will constantly flash and beep to indicate a problem.

After about 90 minutes of scratching my head I noticed that the wrinkle guard button on mine was flashing and the unit was constantly beeping while in diagnostic mode. I finally figured this must be a stuck button, so I pressed it firmly about 10 or 15 times and eventually it stopped beeping (actually, I can't remember if I did this while in diagnostic mode -- press cancel to leave the mode -- or not). But eventually, the stuck button will get unstuck and the other buttons will work normally!

You can re-enter diagnostic mode (more-less-more-less) and now all of the lights should remain solid to indicate no problems. I am not sure how long this button will remain stuck, but this is a pretty easy fix that shouldn't take you more than 1 or 2 minutes, and after that the dryer should work for at least a day or two!

Seeing as the touch panel is nearly $200 and a new control board an additional $200 (plus labor, probably an additional $200 to replace) I hope this "temporary" repair can help other people get these stubborn machines to work.

• hamilton_a_l
    16 years ago

I have a 10 month old HE4 and feel your pain. I have been without my dryer for a week now and they are "rush" ordering the part to try and get it fixed by the middle of next week. When the technician came out to look at the dryer, I told him what it was doing and he did not touch it. He just told me he had to order the part. Since this is an expensive dryer and this is the second time I have had trouble with the control panel, I became quite upset and let him know about it. If he was able to diagnose the problem without touching the dryer, why couldn't they have ordered the correct part before coming to my house. In the 10 months that I have owned this product, I have been without a dryer for approximately 2 1/2 weeks which I think is completely unreasonable. I got rid of my last dryer (8 years old) that always worked, just less efficiently, to get a new dryer that is completely undependable.

Another problem I have with service is that they try to sell me a 5 year warranty when they come out for service calls. They have basically made me feel like I was stupid for paying so much for a poorly made, expensive washer and dryer. For the price I paid, I thought I was getting a product that would hold up for at least 5 years.

• kingpintoo
    16 years ago

The HE3 and 4 washers are even worse. Have you smelled mold in the washer. These machines are better than biology culture dishes for growing mold. Our HE3t is useless now as the clothes smell of mold. We used the correct H/E soap as well. We have many others who have the same problem and we are doing something about it. If you are aggrieved in the way, call me or e-mail to kingpintoo@aol.com, or Robert Pedroli @ 314-726-1817. See me at mylegalworld.com. I am tired of dealing with Sear, while they deny and ignore these problems. People who think that there are too many lawsuits should look at the reason for that. Here the reason is that Sears doesn't want to deal with their defectively designed washer and want to hang on to thier profits instead of doing the right thing.
    Good luck.

• bob_brown
    16 years ago

Sears does not pay for the warrantee problems, the manufacturer pays. Sears and many more companies handle warrantee service to insure the customer is satisfied to thier standards. If the customer is not happy, they will shop elsewhere in the future. If Sears allowed me to service warrantee, as an independent, I could say damaging statements, that would result in loss of business. Sears would have little recourse.

• kingpintoo_aol_com
    15 years ago

A lot of people have contacted me from across the nation. A law firm in Illinois has already filed a class action, and it seems they are moving slowly at this time. Maybe for a reason or good cause, I don't know. I talked with them a few times. I am thinking about proceeding with cases for people who are injured from the mold problem. There are more than you would think. Mold gets in the clothes. Are you having symptoms? Some have hives, rashes or respiratory problems. Let me know. Let your doctor know. The mold may or may not be the problem. Hopefully the class action will get moving and everyone should get notice if Sears gives the attys the correct information. You can still send information to me as I am maintaining a file. This doesn't create an atty client relationship. I might be able to help in the future.