Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjremodel

Washer & Dryer selection

rjremodel
10 years ago

We need to buy a washer & dryer for our new laundry room. On another post on this forum I just read about the new GE "Right Height" Washers & Dryers. I've been leaning toward a Whirlpool front loader since a friend who has four boys and does laundry during every waking hour said that was the only brand that has lasted in her house. But I love the concept of the "Right Height" and the features described on the GE website. Have any of you any experience with these new washers and dryers or recent experience with GE? Also what do you think of Whirlpool?

Comments (7)

• maries1120
    10 years ago

We bought the GE RightHeight pair. Delivery is this afternoon. I will post and let you know the initial impressions.

• emma
    10 years ago

I have used whirlpool for 50 years, but will not buy any more machines made by Sears. I have bought 3 in the last few years and had service calls right away and 2 times in the short time I have had them and my ice maker is leaking again and this time it is not warrantied. It will cost me at least $350, plus a service call.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

EmmaR ... Sears doesn't directly manufacture any appliances. All their products are sourced from the various manufacturers. A Kenmore-labeled product may be built in a Whirlpool factory, GE, Frigidaire/Electrolux, Samsung, LG, Bosch, etc.

Kenmore Product Codes

• maries1120
    10 years ago

I'll post more later but mixed feelings so far with the GE RightHeight however we are transitioning from an old Maytag with an agitator.

I considered the Maytag Maxima based on good rating from CR and shortest cycle. Or an Electrolux that had good reviews here and elsewhere and has a reversible door on the washer. We went with the GEs primarily because the others wouldn't fit with a pedestal and on the floor is too low IMO. We have cabinets above that I didn't want to have removed.

The height of the doors is ok although I think a pedestal would put the doors at a better height. As far as using the top to fold - I'd need to be quite a bit taller for that to be the RightHeight.

The manual includes many models and is very generic. I read this on line and had many questions which customer service has been researching for a week. I went to the Maytag and Electrolux manuals and found those very helpful. The actual manual was not with the washer only the dryer.

A lot of options but relatively uncomplicated other than the lack of explanation on the features and what they did and when they might be used or beneficial.

First load was towels. Big drum so more towels put in. Maybe that was our mistake. No issue with cleaning but about 2.5 hours! That can't be so hoping we can get this cut in half so laundry time doesn't suck up our life. Used the Fast setting next and that was better.

We'll do more today and see how it goes. Both are very quiet.

• maries1120
    10 years ago

Load with 2 king size lighter blankets took 1:15 using bulky cycle. Both came out very dry so drying time should be less. Feeling better about the machine. I still think the User's Guide needs significant improvement. I think the guide includes close to 10 models and shows 3 different front panels. Let's just use the same guide and print a new cover adding this model number. Lazy, lazy, lazy!

• rjremodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Marie. Glad you're feeling better about the machines. I'm short: 5'2" so I was wondering if the 'right height' was really right.

Have you had a repeat of the long washing time?

• maries1120
    10 years ago

Worked with GE and the store. Problem was that the machine wasn't leveled front to back so machine was having trouble balancing. Just fixed this afternoon so waiting to know for sure. One load of Activewear was washed in about 50 minutes. Load of towels in now which will be the real test. I'm the same height as you. The height is fine for loading and unloading.

This is our first front loader so can only compare to an agitator one but we are both amazed at how much cleaner things look!