Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size issues with Miele W/D

Posted by ftmyersdeb (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 11:17

It's been a while since I posted as my kitchen has been finished. I found a W/D on craigslist for $900. The washer is Miele W1203 and dryer is Miele T1413. They are both touchtronic. The seller said they are 2.5 years old and the builder put them in the house. They are under the counter in her laundry room with both being in excellent condition from what I could see. No mold on the washer at all. I researched to find they have been discontinued. She has all the manuals and the warranty is still valid if transferred. She claims I can transfer the warranty?? The washer looks small compared to my Neptune washer. It says online that the washer is "super capacity". She says she can wash a king size comforter but has to work to get it inside. She said the salesman told her if the door will shut the contents will get clean. She is happy with them, but is trading homes with her daughter, who wants to keep what she already has. Any Miele owners that can help me out on whether size will be an issue and if it is a good buy? It's just hubby and I with kids/grandkids at times. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size issues with Miele W/D

I doubt you will be able to get a standard king sized comforter in that machine. I would ask the seller if you can bring you comforter to her house to see if it fits. I expect you will be told no.

Malcolm

o

She actually did say I could do that. She also offered to let me run a load of whatever to see that it works.

o

"....if the door will shut the contents will get clean."

Spoken by someone who knows nothing about laundry or laundry machines. Your prospective seller obviously doesn't. About as ridiculous a statement as I've ever heard.

o

The price is good but for a King size comforter you are better off getting a E-Lux/Samsung/LG washer and use your current dryer unless a matching pair is a must!

o

OK, I can help here.

The Miele 12XX series is the last of the 220V true-horizontal axis, 6K machines, right? (I ask because I have earlier, smaller, 5K 19XX version machines.)

To the OP: don't be put off by the apparently small size of the machine compared to your Neptune. True horizontals can be loaded more fully and still perform pefectly for most items. (Loading for all-permanent press/no iron loads should be less, though, not for cleaning reasons, but for anti-wrinkling properties.)

The first thing to do is weigh your current loads, dry. If they are 13 lbs or less for mixed general laundry, then you'll be just fine with the smaller-sized machine. I have the 5 kilo (11 lb) Miele and if I can get it in my machine and close the door, the load will work just fine. This is only true of horizontal axis machines, not the more common tilted axis machines that abound today.

Regarding king comforters/ coverlets: this depends more on the type of fill (down is more compressible than fiber-fill) than on the size. In my 5 K machines I can wash my full and queen down comforters, but only twin or light synthetic comforters. The down is harder to stuff in, and seems like the bigger volume, but it melts down more when wet, so it works fine.

If the seller is willing to have you try the machine, with your comforter, that is a very good sign.

To the poster who claimed that it is incorrect to fill the machine up to just under "what you can get in and still close the door": I disagree, I wash loads like that every day (in Asko and Miele machines) and have superb cleaning performance. I have little experience with the tilted axis machines but I agree that filling them like that would be a mistake. But for Miele and Asko true horizontals, it's just fine.

For instance, yesterday I washed 2 cotton pillow cases, a white terry cotton bathmat and 35 white cotton men's size large T-shirts in the same load. It was a bit over the weight limit and required a little push to close the porthole door, but I knew from experience it would be OK and it was.

I remember when I got my first F/L (dish-washer-sized) machine. I was sure it wouldn't work, but I was completely wrong.
Regarding the 12xx series: that was the beginning of the change from more user-controlled, flexibly option-rich, cycle choices. My, earlier-vintage, machines were the most flexible, the 1200s a bit less so, and the even more recent machines even less so. This would not be a problem, I think, for most people except for those of us who were stuck on the old menu. It would be worth the time for the OP to think through the cycle choices (and discuss them with the seller, perhaps) to make sure the machine will meet her particular expectations.

My only complaint about Mieles F/L is I can never find them for cheap on CL.

L

o

liriodendron, can you explain why horizontal-axis machines can be loaded more fully than tilted-axis models? I keep hearing this, but no one has been able to explain why.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here