Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
name_member

Umbrella clothesline how to tie the line ?

name_member
13 years ago

A couple of my neighbours recently put theirs up and it came out probably not how they expected. I would like to help them out but I know not what to do. Not to mention the language barrier. All I got was that someone told them to start from the bottom line and work your way up but none of the lines are tightly placed on there. Even though they tied them as best as they could. And it also seems that all the arms or whatever it is that you'd call them have since then moved making the lines hang ever more so and the arms are anything but evenly spread. Two of them take up almost half of the whole space and the other three are all hanging out together on the other half.

Now I can't seem to find any guides online that describe how this process is done. I've seen how to install it into the ground and that is it and I've seen how to install other types of clothesline setups including how to set up the lines. This makes one think that it should be the easiest thing in the world to set up the umbrella lines seeing as there are guides for how to tie straight lines but nothing in a hexagonal shape. But seeing as it didn't work out how they had intended I was hoping someone could shed some light on this with pretty precise instructions on it so that I could maybe google translate for them or whatnot. Thank you for taking your time to read this and for any help that you may be able to provide it is very much appreciated by more than one person I can assure you.

Comments (3)

• name_member
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wait why'd I write hex ? Guess I can't stop thinking about those new hex-core processors. ^^;
    Well you know what I meant. Guides for connecting a line between two fixed points yet there aren't any for a line that has to go in moving arms in a weird pentagonal shape.

Also, am I just blind at noticing the edit button ? Didn't mean to post a second post quite so quickly.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

Are these the umbrellas with concentric lines (meaning the inner spans are shorter than the outer spans), or are they the umbrellas with all the lines parallel and evenly long?

Actually as I think of it, my answer would be the same, in both cases. In my umbrellas (and my straight lines, too) I use a system of alternate lines running in opposite directions to counterpose the strains. Meaning in my umbrellas (which are all the concentrictly-rigged variety) I start off two strands of flex running in opposite directions, alternating on every other row. The flex isn't tied off for each individual span, or ring, instead it travels along the skeleton to the next, but one, series, if that makes sense. And about half-way out I strain and tie off the line to isolate the effects of weight or temperature driven line stretch. It's two person job to pull and match the tension of these opposing runs, but it works well and I don't have any major distortion, even under load in heavy storms.

I use the same tactics in long lines: opposing, alternate lengths, tensioned against each other during set-up and from time to time when readjusting. Often I do get sort of trapezoidal shifting on the longlines which span multiple T-bars, but it isn't really a problem.

At the beginning, middle and end of each line, I find that a simple knot and a short tail works best to allow me make occasional tweaks. In my area we have wide annual temperature swings, on the order of about 120F over the course of a year. This makes a big difference in line stretch over time.

A tightly rigged set-up is pleasing to the eye, but I don't get fanatical about it, though.

My umbrellas are not hexagional, but rectangular and not square, either. My advice about stringing would be same no matter what shape.

BTW, I prefer to have the center poles of umbrellas loose, rather than set in concrete. They are set in (or actually, in my case over) pipe supports that are set in concrete, but it is useful to have the actual stems loose enough to pivot.

HTH,

L

• calliope
    13 years ago

Yes, and different types of line have different stretch properties. The plastic coated, all plastic, cotten, synthetic clotheslines will all stretch out differently and all have a weight load just like a fishing line would. I use the knots just like Liriodendron does and find they need adjusted after the first few uses to compensate for the stretch. I have mine set in concrete, but loosely so that the pole can be rotated in the hole.