Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washer and dryer for second home?

Posted by NJAnnRose (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 8:58

We are buying a second home which needs a washer and dryer. I will only be there during the winter and there's only two of us so I don't need anything elaborate or super large. I would like something reliable and reasonably priced. We spent a lot on the ones we have now and find I don't use 90% of the features. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washer and dryer for second home?

Do you want high efficiency? If so I would go with a front loader. I would stay away from the high efficiency top loaders. Speed Queen is the best, and the most expensive. I would get Whirlpool/Maytag, the new US made GE, or Frigidaire/Electrolux. If you get a front loader besides Speed Queen, be sure to get one with an internal heater because all the brands besides Speed Queen have a dumbed down "hot" temperature.

If you want a traditional non HE top loader, Speed Queen is again the best, and the most expensive. If you want cheaper, the Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana/Kenmore/Roper/Estate/Admiral new agitator design is the only one I would consider. That is what I have been putting in my rental properties as it is very affordable. Unfortunately the lid does lock, although unlike many it won't lock until after the fill so you can load and add detergent while it is filling. It does use electronic controls, unlike Speed Queen. And it does have a dumbed down "hot" temperature setting, but that is par for the course nowadays and Speed Queen is the only one to my knowledge that doesn't. But on the plus side, unlike many washers nowadays you have full manual control over the water level. The wash performance is excellent. This is a brand new design so I can't speak to reliability.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here