Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jle5102_gw

Skunky Smelling Clothes

JLE5102
11 years ago

I need help. I did a few loads of laundry last week. The second one i did came out smelling Skunky for some reason. They did not seem to smell when i took them out of the washer and put into the dryer. but once out of the dryer the smell was horrible. All the loads before and since then have been fine. My husband, dog and i have not been into any contact with a skunk. so i am not sure of where the smell is coming from. I have tried re-washing them about 5 times now and they still smell. I have tried vinegar, baking soda, febreeze detergent and the spray, just soaking them and now they are hang drying but they still smell. I really do not want to throw them away considering it is hundreds of dollars worth of clothing and wish i knew how this happened to one load of laundry and how to avoid this mess again.

Thanks

J

Comments (20)

• dave1812
    11 years ago

You really expect someone from afar (meaning members of this forum) to tell YOU what happened to create an odor??? seriously?

Perhaps your question should have been "is there anything else I can try, to eliminate the odor"...

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

JLE5102,

Please ignore dave1812, he seems to be cranky. If you google search how to remove skunk odors from clothing, you will find a lot of good ideas. My suggestion would be to use a proven method to deodorize your laundry. I have no suggestions because I have not experienced this particular issue.

If you ever find out what works, please consider coming back to share your solution for others who may have the same problem.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

JL, I don't HAVE a solution for you other than rephrasing your question. IF I did (have a solution), I'd be more than happy to help, same as I've given suggestions to others on other washing-related topics. good luck.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

as an example, you could read my response to getting an oil stain off of a shirt, from a few days ago. The person with the weird screen name (who shall remain "nameless") likes to follow me around the forum and bait me. I sometimes choose to ignore some of their more ridiculous comments so as not to be dragged into the mud. This is one of those times.

• MiMi
    11 years ago

Have you tried washing them with washing soda and Hydrogen Peroxide? I would use both at the same time and use a good dose(a lot) of the washing soda. At this point is seems like you have tried several different products your best bet might be just to take them to the cleaners and explain the problem, they may be able to get the odor out.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

I agree with dbfirewife--try the cleaners.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

Borax works well for odors. I would try running the load on hot with some borax and see what happens.

Ignore Dave. He gets evil for no apparent reason at times.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

sandy, you are such a sweet thing. Thanks for spreading good cheer.

sigh.

• GrammyMyrna
    11 years ago

Geeze Dave, sounds like you need to go for a dryer spin yourself for a bit - take some of the starch out of your shorts!

JLE - any of the above HELPFUL suggestions will probably work, but don't forget about the 'ole standby of a plain vinegar wash, then hit the double rinse button.

Good luck to you! :)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

If you think it truly might be skunk odor (though it seems your family would know if they had been exposed), here is a link to a recipe that I've seen in different places, and have read that a lot of people have success with. It might be worth a try to soak the garments in this solution.

I once had a load of laundry come out of the washer smelling weird, but after it was dried, it was okay. Strange stuff happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe for skunk odor removal

• dave1812
    11 years ago

Can't ANY of you people here STOP changing the subject from the TOPIC of the thread, to me?? It's gotta be annoying to everyone (except you haters, who love to hate).

• jakvis
    11 years ago

Sunlight and fresh air.
    Wash hang dry outside, repeat.

Don't use any odor covering products, just plain detergent and extra rinses if you washer is so equipped.

The sunlight and the fresh air will kill many embedded odors.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

ROTFL

• JLE5102
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone I will try everything you have suggested. If there is a solution I will update.

• JLE5102
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone I will try everything you have suggested. If there is a solution I will update.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

This may sound strange, but were there any items (especially denim items) that had never been washed before in that particular load? I had a similar issue about a year and a half ago It turned out that there was a brand new pair of kids size 5 jeans in that particular load. Everything smelled, but those jeans were the worst so definitely the culprit. I truly do not think front loaders have enough water in them to handle this type of problem as I washed those items multiple times with different agents too. In the end, I filled the bath tub with hot water, added detergent and swished and soaked the clothes in small batches. Then I rinsed and ran them back through the washer one more time. I made sure to keep those jeans separate and I never could get the smell out of them--I think it was the dye they used.

Another thing I have found with my front loader is that many times, you need to dry the offending clothes before rewashing them to remove the smell. Especially if someone forgot there was a load of clothes in the washer and they sat for a few days.

Hope this helps & good luck!

• HU-98821135896
    5 years ago

I bought a portable dryer I am having the same problem my grandson came home from school a student told him he smells like weed I thought the odor would go away but it hasn’t

• Sam Kingfish
    5 years ago

You need a light in the washer...like this https://youtu.be/egR3Q939jyc

• mydogmiddy
    5 years ago
    Just wondering. Do you have a gas dryer? I took clothes out of my gas dryer one time and they smelled terrible. Rewashed and dried and it went away.