Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul2209

Remove deodorant patches from underarms of shirts

paul2209
11 years ago

Hello,

Does anyone have any practical tips for removing deodorant stains from the under arms of shirts.

Also any tips on cleaning cuffs on double cuffed shirts?

Many thanks

Paul

Comments (5)

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't know about removing under arm stains, they always have come out in the wash for me. As far as the cuffs go I would wet them with liquid laundry soap or resolve and scrub with your hands. That is what I used to do with my husbands shirt collars. I think the key to these kinds of problems is not to let them get that bad. My husband did hard manual labor out side with junk yard cars and put on clean clothes every day. I washed them as soon as he took them off. No problem.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

The French cuffs would be treated like regular cuffs. I always used to use a pre-treat like Shout. Now that I discovered 'free and clear' type detergents with enzymes as well as 'free & clear' type oxygen bleach (Ecover), I don't use the Shout as often, unless I see cuffs that are really nasty.

If nothing else works, I would try soaking the cuffs only in a bucket of hot water with the detergent. If you use a liquid detergent that has enzymes, perhaps use that as a pre-treat for 5 to 15 minutes before washing. I've done this with Persil Color Gel on my dark garments, with great success.

HTH

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I hit "post" before I meant to.

If you go to the bottom of this page, in the "Search" box enter the word deodorant. You'll get a lot of previous discussions that have solutions.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Pretreating and soaking with ammonia works on the buildup (if the fabric is hardened), and I've also pre-treated and soaked overnight with white vinegar for staining (don't mix the ammonia and vinegar). Followed by HOT water wash with a powdered detergent and oxygen bleach (I've had good results with Tide and Persil and use Ecover, too). It can take several cycles depending on how bad it is.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

For the deodorant stains, there's a company called Carbona that makes laundry agents for all different types of stains--oil/grease, ketchup/chocolate, grass/dirt, etc. Their formula #9 is for deo/perspiration stains and it works like a charm. You can find them in the laundry aisle of your local grocery store or Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Carbona Stain Devils Site